The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Are people still talking about Toffoli? The guy who had virtually no impact on how the Canucks performed in the playoffs last season? They beat the defending champs with him playing in exactly 0 games that series. 

Look I get it. You want as many good players as possible. However, it's not like we're struggling to score. Both the first and second lines are producing well. As is the bottom six. Scoring isn't an issue. I repeat. Scoring is not an issue. 

Last I checked re-signing Toffoli wouldn't magically fix the clear systems issues this team has, nor he would he fix how this team specifically against Montreal has handed them several gift baskets full of pucks in the back of the net. He's also getting severely overrated because he just so happened to receive several of those gifts. 

The team has had effort issues, the first line has been consistently inconsistent, and the team defense has been non-existent especially against the Habs. The PP has been bad. They've also had a brutal schedule to start this season. We're on yet another 3 games in 4 nights situation. Meanwhile the team we're playing tonight is coming off of 3 straight days of no games. This game is going to be the teams SEVENTH in the last eleven days. Which includes travelling from Vancouver to Winnipeg, to Montreal and now to Toronto. 

Toffoli never was, and never is going to be why this team wins or loses. It starts with our best players playing like they're capable of. The PP being better. Team defense improving. 

Ok so not Toffoli but who did Vancouver bring to help the team? Where's the help in D? Wheres the help in goal tending?

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's a fact you're ignoring....every team EXCEPT this one has had a break of multiple days off....some more than one.  We've had only one off in between every single game and many of those one days off were spent traveling.  We're the ONLY team in this division that that applies to.  

Being tired on any job usually results in sloppiness and a lack of focus as fatigue sets in.

Is it the ONLY reason?  Nope.  But it's something.

Agree but there is a stagger process for the breaks 

we use tired for an excuse although we don’t highlight  beating up on ottawa to gain points 

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

You’re doing it wrong, no need for all caps but you missed the”!” and your text is way too small, could use some bonding and probably should be centred for visual effect, apart from that, great post.

Is that bonding in regards to a bail hearing?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

You’re doing it wrong, no need for all caps but you missed the”!” and your text is way too small, could use some bolding and probably should be centred for visual effect, apart from that, great post.

youre a true vet, showing the young guns how its done.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Don't forget the smoked meat sandwiches with a petit Pepsi!

Mmmmmm...smoked meat.....wait, you are not talking about the Nucks getting smoked are you?.....but if you are, as the Frenchies say “touche mes amis”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Ok so not Toffoli but who did Vancouver bring to help the team? Where's the help in D? Wheres the help in goal tending?

Supposedly, Benning brought in Nate Schmidt, who was great for Vegas, and Hamonic, who wasn't so great for Calgary. Looking at the d corps, on paper it's a good mix of offensive talent and defensive capability, but in reality, it's the most porous defense in the NHL. Not sure how there is such a massive discrepancy but there is. 

Demko should be given the majority of the starts, as he's earned the starting position in goal, but we'll see how that plays out.

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Yes 

i did 

i see us out of a playoff spot with  25 percent of games played 

did you see where you were wrong about the games played?

If so have you considered you could be wrong about other things, that you state as facts?

1 minute ago, J-Strap said:

We need to get Gino as the Nucklehead’s GM...what he can’t finesse, he can intimidate and WIN!

Best idea of the night.

Gino would only need accompany staff into team meetings, contract negotiations and trade discussions.

Just stand him at the back of the room for each, once he'd got peoples attention.

I would donate a gonad (not mine) to see Juice behind our bench.

2 minutes ago, J-Strap said:

Mmmmmm...smoked meat.....wait, you are not talking about the Nucks getting smoked are you?.....but if you are, as the Frenchies say “touche mes amis”

Au contraire! I'm merely talking about delicious smoked meat sandwiches with some mustard and a pickle or two. 

jessies.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Fair assessment, but I think it comes down to expectation. Green may be a transitional coach, but can't we also say our roster is currently in a transitional state? Our roster is clearly missing a few pieces and maybe Green grows with the group or he truly is a transitional coach. Again, I agree the team is not playing well but I don't think a new coach is the team's answer right now. We have many holes.

Anyways, stay passionate and enjoy the game tonight.

Agree.  I don't think firing Green is the answer right now... well unless we go on a 7-10 game losing streak or something similarly bad.

As much as I hate to have a lame duck coach, I think we will know whether to re-sign him or part ways by the end of the season.

With his contract on the line, Green should be motivated to coach like he has never coached before if he wants to stay with this team beyond its transitional years.

So far, Green showed that given a good roster, he is capable enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two. But I want to see if Green can draw more out from the players -- making the playoffs this season, where we are expected to take a step back with all the players lost, will prove just that.