The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

35 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You misunderstand.

Gallant is the type of coach who can give a defensive structure to a team which has none.  (like the Canucks)

This is exactly what the team needs.

And Gallant is underrated as an offensive coach... he developed Barkov and Huberdeau into the players they are now.

He built the defensive structure which Vegas still uses.

Light years above Green.

I see what you are saying but, with our current roster, no coach is going to deliver.  This team is not built to play a hard, gritty defensive game.  Also, our team is not a fast team (we're quick but not fast) and we constantly get beat to the puck and we lose too many puck battles.  This Canadian Division is tough with the exception of Ottawa.

While everyone was singing the praises of the Canucks last year, not me.  We were just lucky last season and we had a Vezina quality goalie.  For the last couple of years, our shots against were atrocious but Marky kept us in the game.  Now, our chickens have come home to roost.  

I still think Green is a good coach but I realize his job is in jeopardy with how this season is going.  I agree that Gallant is a good coach too but I don't think he'd make a big difference in the win-loss column.  Maybe we might lose by a few less goals but there's no way this team, as currently structured, is making the playoffs this year.  We should have kept Toffoli, traded Boeser for a solid top 4 D or a skilled gritty forward, kept Tanev, Stecher and Leivo.  I loved Marky but not for 6 years at 6 mill per year (given his age).

Edited by sockeye
  • Vintage 1

Tyler Foli really did seem like an incredible fit with the group. Solid 2 way game as well, it almost seemed weird how quickly they all bonded on and off the ice. It would make sense his treatment would be seen like a huge slight. Then obviously Tanev, Marky and Stetcher as well.

I didn't really want to believe something like that would be true but I guess it makes sense. Didn't they start playing like REAL $&!# right after that "out of time" tweet? I don't know, on one hand I think they hate the systems, on the other they're pissed off at Benning. I bet we're about to find out real soon though.

Edited by Dirtman
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Vancouver has gone insane.  Lol.

Gillis ? Seriously ?

Oh yes it’s whacked right out. There’s even a trade Hughes thread. Oh man as much as the Canucks stink, this almost makes up for it. I’m literally laughing my ass off at some of this stuff 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, sockeye said:

I see what you are saying but, with our current roster, no coach is going to deliver.  This team is not built to play a hard, gritty defensive game.  Also, our team is not a fast team (we're quick but not fast) and we constantly get beat to the puck and we lose too many puck battles.  This Canadian Division is tough with the exception of Ottawa.

While everyone was singing the praises of the Canucks last year, not me.  We were just lucky last season and we had a Vezina quality goalie.  For the last couple of years, are shots against were atrocious but Marky kept us in the game.  Now, are chickens have come home to roost.  

I still think Green is a good coach but I realize his job is in jeopardy with how this season is going.  I agree that Gallant is a good coach too but I don't think he'd make a big difference in the win-loss column.  Maybe we might lose by a few less goals but there's no way this team, as currently structured, is making the playoffs this year.  We should have kept Toffoli, traded Boeser for a solid top 4 D or a skilled gritty forward, kept Tanev, Stecher and Leivo.  I loved Marky but not for 6 years at 6 mill per year (given his age).

boeser is our toffoli only 4 yrs younger 

1 minute ago, sockeye said:

While everyone was singing the praises of the Canucks last year, not me.  We were just lucky last season and we had a Vezina quality goalie.  For the last couple of years, are shots against were atrocious but Marky kept us in the game.  Now, are chickens have come home to roost.  

It’s a broken system. Travis better take some psychedelics and figure this $&!# out. 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yes.

Yeah.  Hmm, I'd trade Boeser while his value is high.  Not a fan.  Too slow and just a one dimensional player.  Nice kid though.  

Well, one positive thing about the way things are going, looking at the glass half full - next year's contracts for Hughes and Petterson are rapidly decreasing.  :)  (maybe not for Hughes though?)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sockeye said:

Yeah.  Hmm, I'd trade Boeser while his value is high.  Not a fan.  Too slow and just a one dimensional player.  Nice kid though.  

Well, one positive thing about the way things are going, looking at the glass half full - next year's contracts for Hughes and Petterson are rapidly decreasing.  :)  (maybe not for Hughes though?)

They’ll get the same contract I’d put money on it. Same agent firm 

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Oh yes it’s whacked right out. There’s even a trade Hughes thread. Oh man as much as the Canucks stink, this almost makes up for it. I’m literally laughing my ass off at some of this stuff 

Man I don't even know if I'm going out of my mind with some of the $&!# I'm reading. I just wanna watch some hockey this is insane haha.

1 minute ago, Dirtman said:

Man I don't even know if I'm going out of my mind with some of the $&!# I'm reading. I just wanna watch some hockey this is insane haha.

Haha yup just gotta have a Matt Murray attitude and just Laugh 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, sockeye said:

Good post...

Last PGT I made a comment about us not having 6 NHL caliber D

We also do not have 12 NHL caliber forwards. 

Add those two points together and we just are not as good as some people here think/hope/want us to be

That said, we have had teams like this before - however most of those teams worked quite hard. My issue with this team is they do not seem to be working hard. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Good post...

Last PGT I made a comment about us not having 6 NHL caliber D

We also do not have 12 NHL caliber forwards. 

Add those two points together and we just are not as good as some people here think/hope/want us to be

That said, we have had teams like this before - however most of those teams worked quite hard. My issue with this team is they do not seem to be working hard. 

Starts with an NHL caliber coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1