The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Canucks coaching staff survive the season?

Rate this topic

Ms.Glitter

Who should be the new coach or GM?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I voted for Gillis in the polls too.. lol I wonder if the Aquailinis would welcome him back to fix the cap or has that bridge been burnt? 

I was a Gillis hater lol but one thing you couldn't deny was his teams were tough to play against. 

Alberts, Torres, Lappy, Rome, Ballard, Hamhuis etc. I wish we had half of the toughness the 2011 team had. :(

I feel Gillis would usually get the most out of what money he spent. He was a tough negotiator and someone who would try to get most out of trades. Plus he was great in managing our assets. Getting Marky for Luongo was a great move on his part, or drafting Horvat as the 9th overall pick for a goalie who is now nowhere to be seen. No to mention trading damaged goods in Horvat for Kassian. Now he was not great in drafts but we also never had high picks when he was our GM since our team was always a contender. I would be willing to give him another chance to finish what Benning has started. I dont see Benning as a closer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

It doesnt matter how you feel but Aquaman is not going to waste money on a losing product and he will not keep Benning if he doesnt show results soon. He has been our GM for 7 years so he will not be so patient with him. We have had our fair share of being basement dwellers and now we should be improving year to year or at least trying to improve the team, not go backwards because of Bennings mistakes which is costing Aquaman money. Now the fans dont care about the owners money since it is not their own money but owners do care, especially if it is someone else wasting their money.

Fans should care, imagine if we were allowed to go watch games live...and this is the kind of showing the team had, there would be boos going on in the building. I would be pissed to see this kind of effort basically every game, being out worked and allowing 40  shots against nightly is ridiculous. We are suppose to have 3 legit top 4 D on this team now...is it the players being that bad or the coaches having that bad of a system and not able to adapt when things go sideways

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

People also underestimate as to just how shockingly bad our organizational right side depth on RD really was.  Hence, the decision not to trade Tanev in 2016, the calculated gamble on the Gudbranson trade, and signing Tyler Myers.   

Our RHD has been bad pre Benning and still is...can't really defend that, 7 years and all you have to show is an overpaid Myers is more valuable to the team than keeping a warrior in Tanev? Like they said on 1040, Tanev was likely choked to see the team pass him off as nothing before FA when they went all in on LE and Myers for instance.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed with you about the coaches but strongly disagree with regards to the rebuild.  Those “questionable” contracts were signed as a way of insulating the kids in the system who weren’t ready for those roles.   The presence of those vets helped the kids play in roles that were more suitable to their games.  

For example - signing Ryan Miller allowing for Markstrom to develop longer in the minors, or signing guys like Schaller, Roussel, and Beagle so that guys like MacEwen and Gaudette could develop a little more.    

People also underestimate as to just how shockingly bad our organizational right side depth on RD really was.  Hence, the decision not to trade Tanev in 2016, the calculated gamble on the Gudbranson trade, and signing Tyler Myers.   

The problem is that Benning signed those players for longer term than it was necessary. Every single contract from Beagle to Roussel to Ericksson was not only high in terms of dollars but the term was also long. There was no way we should have given Roussel 3 million for 3 years. This was a GM who saw ample cap space and tried to fill it up as fast as possible and now we are paying for it. Those are the type of moves that gets a GM fired when the team plays like this.

58 minutes ago, Sprinterkb said:

I laugh at Green developing young players,he has destroyed Jake and is doing the same thing with jol.

Likes to play his faves like Sutter and others, he's on the way to destroy Petey, Boeser, Quinn too.

and I didn't like his treatment of Bearchi too

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed with you about the coaches but strongly disagree with regards to the rebuild.  Those “questionable” contracts were signed as a way of insulating the kids in the system who weren’t ready for those roles.   The presence of those vets helped the kids play in roles that were more suitable to their games.  

For example - signing Ryan Miller allowing for Markstrom to develop longer in the minors, or signing guys like Schaller, Roussel, and Beagle so that guys like MacEwen and Gaudette could develop a little more.    

I mean, did they need to be on 3 year deals for Beagle and Roussel? Ferland signing was a mistake just purely from a health standpoint. I liked the dollars, but knew anything longer than 2 years was a mistake. And that was before hindsight. Schaller at 2 years is fine.

58 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The mistake Benning has made is hitching his horse to back to back rookie coaches. Also some questionable contracts seemingly trying to rush the rebuild.

I don't really see how rookie coaches vs veteran coaches makes much of a difference. There are some successful rookie coaches in this league along with some very unsuccessful veteran coaches in this league. I think rookie vs veteran is an oversimplification more than anything as most "rookie" coached have coaches in various leagues for often decades; therefore, most rookies are not really rookies. Maybe to the NHL (which is a ever-revolving door of a job), but not to coaching itself.

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I feel Gillis would usually get the most out of what money he spent. He was a tough negotiator and someone who would try to get most out of trades. Plus he was great in managing our assets. Getting Marky for Luongo was a great move on his part, or drafting Horvat as the 9th overall pick for a goalie who is now nowhere to be seen. No to mention trading damaged goods in Horvat for Kassian. Now he was not great in drafts but we also never had high picks when he was our GM since our team was always a contender. I would be willing to give him another chance to finish what Benning has started. I dont see Benning as a closer.

he was great in surrounding our core players with productive role players.

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Fans should care, imagine if we were allowed to go watch games live...and this is the kind of showing the team had, there would be boos going on in the building. I would be pissed to see this kind of effort basically every game, being out worked and allowing 40  shots against nightly is ridiculous. We are suppose to have 3 legit top 4 D on this team now...is it the players being that bad or the coaches having that bad of a system and not able to adapt when things go sideways

Now how is that the owners fault when Benning is the teams GM? Aqualini only pays the bills. You should be mad at Benning not Aqualini, afterall he wasnt even the person who hired Benning, it was Linden. Plus Aquaman has given ample time for Benning to spend his money freely but now he wont give him this freedom.

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he was great in surrounding our core players with productive role players.

Thats a great quality to have as a GM if you want a cup winning team. Unfortunately Benning is not that GM. I will give him Toffoli, that was a good trade but letting him go was another bad asset management on his part. I will never understand why he signed Roussell, Schaller, Myers and some other players. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, did they need to be on 3 year deals for Beagle and Roussel? Ferland signing was a mistake just purely from a health standpoint. I liked the dollars, but knew anything longer than 2 years was a mistake. And that was before hindsight. Schaller at 2 years is fine.

It’s the unfortunate nature of UFA when a team is bottom feeding and/or trending downwards.    The player has more power and leverage and the team will have to hand out more unfavorable term and money.  

If a team is unwilling to do this, then it has to push kids into roles that they may not be ready for (and hence, ruining their development).   

The mistake that most media members and HF “Canucks fans” make, is that they believe that signing cheap vets and PTO’s to ideal term and money is akin to shooting fish in a barrell.  It’s not.   

As teams improve and assemble a young and promising nucleus of talent, the “power shift” slowly takes place to which UFA’s would be more inclined to sign at discounts and more favorable terms (team perspective) in order to win a cup (think:  Marian Hossa with Chicago).  

As it relates to the Canucks, it’s no coincidence whatsoever that all of our bad contracts will come off the books both this summer and next.  It was specifically designed this way because this is when management really saw our window starting.  

The only “bad” contract that will still be on the books is Tyler Myers due to the fact that our organizational depth on RD was embarrassingly atrocious.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't really see how rookie coaches vs veteran coaches makes much of a difference. There are some successful rookie coaches in this league along with some very unsuccessful veteran coaches in this league. I think rookie vs veteran is an oversimplification more than anything as most "rookie" coached have coaches in various leagues for often decades; therefore, most rookies are not really rookies. Maybe to the NHL (which is a ever-revolving door of a job), but not to coaching itself.

Well some experienced coaches have made huge impacts like Queenville. With Rookie coaches, you never know what you have exactly or how they will be coaching in NHL, look at Roy's short NHL coaching stint. Its a safer route to go with an experienced coach this time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I voted for Gillis in the polls too.. lol I wonder if the Aquailinis would welcome him back to fix the cap or has that bridge been burnt? 

I was a Gillis hater lol but one thing you couldn't deny was his teams were tough to play against. 

Alberts, Torres, Lappy, Rome, Ballard, Hamhuis etc. I wish we had half of the toughness the 2011 team had. :(

Ya no thanks we don't need Gillis again

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It’s the unfortunate nature of UFA when a team is bottom feeding and/or trending downwards.    The player has more power and leverage and the team will have to hand out more unfavorable term and money.  

If a team is unwilling to do this, then it has to push kids into roles that they may not be ready for (and hence, ruining their development).   

The mistake that most media members and HF “Canucks fans” make, is that they believe that signing cheap vets and PTO’s to ideal term and money is akin to shooting fish in a barrell.  It’s not.   

As teams improve and assemble a young and promising nucleus of talent, the “power shift” slowly takes place to which UFA’s would be more inclined to sign at discounts and more favorable terms (team perspective) in order to win a cup (think:  Marian Hossa with Chicago).  

As it relates to the Canucks, it’s no coincidence whatsoever that all of our bad contracts will come off the books both this summer and next.  It was specifically designed this way because this is when management really saw our window starting.  

The only “bad” contract that will still be on the books is Tyler Myers due to the fact that our organizational depth on RD was embarrassingly atrocious.

If a player like Roussell asks for 3 million per, you dont automatically give that to him, no matter how bad the team is. You can very well find another similar player for much cheaper. Its not like we signed players like Pietrangelo and we didnt have a choice. No, we gave top dollars for a bottom 6 player that wasnt even great to begin with. At no point in Roussel's career does he deserve to make 3 million dollar per year. Benning just vastly overpaid for players that are not contributing, that is a big problem. 

• Cheers 1