The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] James Neal

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats what you do when you want to protect your job.... and are willing to limit potential long term success.....

Most GMs do that.  But man did we luck into not making that mistake.  At least LE doesn’t hurt you defensively on the ice.  All Lucic can do now is fight.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Most GMs do that.  But man did we luck into not making that mistake.  At least LE doesn’t hurt you defensively on the ice.  All Lucic can do now is fight.  

Lucic has 6 pts in 13 games this year actually.....   but yeah both signings were dog poop...

Edited by kingofsurrey

33 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benning went hard after two of those turds.  

Lucic was willing to take a little bit less money/term to sign here but Edmonton just went over and above to make sure they get him.  I still think that Lucic would've been a great fit with us...  not worth the money that he would've gotten, but still better then any other free agent that was signed that off-season.  Let's not forget the other guys that signed that summer....  

Frans Nielsen got a 5 year, 32 mil deal 

Okposo 6 years, 42 mil 

Andrew Ladd 5 years, 39 mil 

David Backes 5 years, 30 mil 

Darren Helm 5 years, 20 mil 

Troy Brouwer 4 years, 17 mil 

People don't have this perspective when they're clamoring on about the bad contracts that are on the books today.  NHL was an inflationary place up until last year and the cap had been going up every single year for a long long time. 

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Lucic was willing to take a little bit less money/term to sign here but Edmonton just went over and above to make sure they get him.  I still think that Lucic would've been a great fit with us...  not worth the money that he would've gotten, but still better then any other free agent that was signed that off-season.  Let's not forget the other guys that signed that summer....  

Frans Nielsen got a 5 year, 32 mil deal 

Okposo 6 years, 42 mil 

Andrew Ladd 5 years, 39 mil 

David Backes 5 years, 30 mil 

Darren Helm 5 years, 20 mil 

Troy Brouwer 4 years, 17 mil 

People don't have this perspective when they're clamoring on about the bad contracts that are on the books today.  NHL was an inflationary place up until last year and the cap had been going up every single year for a long long time. 

I agree. People use hindsight to indicate they would've done a better job or they 'knew' it would be a bad signing. Except no one knew it would be this bad.

Lots of people were clamoring for Benning's head with the Miller trade. And those people have gone quiet with that regard, so they find something else to criticize. In short, people have been looking to hang Benning. Now this latest offseason could initiate it.

Signing any one of those contacts are likely going to be bad in the long run. None of the Benning bashers are going to acknowledge that. The Toffoli non-signing, however, looks really bad for this season, no matter how you spin it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Lucic was willing to take a little bit less money/term to sign here but Edmonton just went over and above to make sure they get him.  I still think that Lucic would've been a great fit with us...  not worth the money that he would've gotten, but still better then any other free agent that was signed that off-season. 

Though if the term and amount is the same I would pick Lucic over Eriksson. Lucic at least is still producing points for Calgary and has performed quite well during the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Though if the term and amount is the same I would pick Lucic over Eriksson. Lucic at least is still producing points for Calgary and has performed quite well during the playoffs. 

Benning prioritizes character though.  You don't want a classless piece of garbage like Lucic around our young players while he disgraces the franchise on and off the ice.  It would be a Messier 2.0 situation and I am glad we avoided it.  As lazy as Eriksson is, at least he isn't a cancer in the locker room.

Edited by King Heffy

Eriksson is well liked in the locker room according to every report.

Lucic for Neal was an obvious win for Calgary the second it happened.

Neal has been awful for like five years. He gets destroyed on defense and can only score pp goals.

Lucic is a far better bottom six player.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Benning prioritizes character though.  You don't want a classless piece of garbage like Lucic around our young players while he disgraces the franchise on and off the ice.  It would be a Messier 2.0 situation and I am glad we avoided it.  As lazy as Eriksson is, at least he isn't a cancer in the locker room.

I have to ask, you always talk about character of the players but on the other hand talk constantly about ending careers of “garbage” players. So if all you have on your team are character players, who is ending careers of the “garbage” players?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1