The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jimmy Vesey, Paul Byron, Anton Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Maybe it became a confirmation bias thing but I thought there were a few things. Lots of bad pinches, getting outmuscled, poor reads, blown coverages, etc. He skates well but also doesn’t bring much offensively. 

His ceiling seems to be a Biega-type player IMO. Not something we should be concerned about losing. 

Even though Juolevi is LD, he's a WAY better defenseman than Chatfield. I thought his first game was solid, got injured, came back, then it was on and off from there. OJ is a far superior player than Jalen will ever be. Not ever sure why this is a discusssion, other than the fact he's a RD.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 1

Recall Kielly - assign DiPietro.  No need to claim Forsberg, waive Holtby etc.

What are the chances of needing the 3rd GT?  Simultaneous injuries/sickness to Demko and Holtby.

Just recall DiPietro if he's needed - in the meantime, he's had some good development time with Clark and could step in for Utica - who are faring pretty well out of the gate...

• Vintage 1

Or recall Gillies if the concern is to have a more serviceable 3rd GT at the NHL level (as opposed to prioritizing Utica's tandem).  They could roll with DiPietro in Utica.

But regardless, where the Canucks are concerned - if worse came to worst -  the Leafs can be beaten with a zamboni driver.

Only one I’d have mild interest in would be Vesey. Byron is a $3.4M cap hit, so no. Forsberg doesn’t make sense unless we’re shopping for a backup (which we’re not), since we can’t waive him to the taxi squad. Grigorenko is south of the border, so he needs a quarantine.

But Vesey? Maybe.

He’s not having a good year, and hasn’t really done too well since the Rangers, but he’s still been acceptable value for a $900k player this year. No question his production has been poor, but he’s a decent PKer, and he’s not bad defensively. Also tends to do well on differentials like penalties drawn/taken, takeaways/giveaways, hits/hits taken, etc, which all adds a little value. Not saying his overall stats profile looks enticing, but he’s been ok, and certainly no worse than several other bottom of the lineup types in Toronto.

He has good size at 6’3”, ~200lbs, and has pretty good wheels. Doesn’t use his size, in terms of physical play, but does go strong to the net, and isn’t afraid to park himself there. He has some skill, but can be pretty streaky as a scorer, and certainly hasn’t heated up this year. He has, at times, looked like a top-6 guy during his career, and put together some decent numbers over short stretches (especially with NYR). Overall, his career NHL numbers are pretty similar to Virtanen’s.

I wouldn’t expect too much from him, but at $900k, I’d be ok taking a flyer, giving him a few games, and maybe it clicks and he’s a decent player for us (like the 17G 35pts/82 pace player he’s been before) or it doesn’t, and we just waive him again, and Toronto takes him back for their taxi squad. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Predators I believe. They traded his rights to the Rangers. 

Nashville traded his rights to Buffalo but he refused to sign with them too.  He signed with the Rangers as a free agent.  They then later traded him to Buffalo.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Or we could just sign literally any AHL level goalie to a contract and not have to lose anyone.

in a normal year sure, but the pool of candidates in this weird year is very thin. Dunno, just not a fan of Chatfield, I doubt he's anywhere near the team next season. 

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Only one I’d have mild interest in would be Vesey. Byron is a $3.4M cap hit, so no. Forsberg doesn’t make sense unless we’re shopping for a backup (which we’re not), since we can’t waive him to the taxi squad. Grigorenko is south of the border, so he needs a quarantine.

But Vesey? Maybe.

He’s not having a good year, and hasn’t really done too well since the Rangers, but he’s still been acceptable value for a $900k player this year. No question his production has been poor, but he’s a decent PKer, and he’s not bad defensively. Also tends to do well on differentials like penalties drawn/taken, takeaways/giveaways, hits/hits taken, etc, which all adds a little value. Not saying his overall stats profile looks enticing, but he’s been ok, and certainly no worse than several other bottom of the lineup types in Toronto.

He has good size at 6’3”, ~200lbs, and has pretty good wheels. Doesn’t use his size, in terms of physical play, but does go strong to the net, and isn’t afraid to park himself there. He has some skill, but can be pretty streaky as a scorer, and certainly hasn’t heated up this year. He has, at times, looked like a top-6 guy during his career, and put together some decent numbers over short stretches (especially with NYR). Overall, his career NHL numbers are pretty similar to Virtanen’s.

I wouldn’t expect too much from him, but at $900k, I’d be ok taking a flyer, giving him a few games, and maybe it clicks and he’s a decent player for us (like the 17G 35pts/82 pace player he’s been before) or it doesn’t, and we just waive him again, and Toronto takes him back for their taxi squad. 

JB is that you???

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, Provost said:

If we had plans to exit guys like Pearson, Grigorenko is actually not a bad add for a cheap fill in somewhere on the roster.  He is a big guy who plays centre or wing, he is on a cheap contract, and he is someone that speaks Russian in case we can actually get Podkolzin over for a few games before the end of the season.

Obviously we don't really need him at this exact moment, but we also have Eriksson playing and no one sane could say that Grigorenko isn't an upgrade on that debacle.

I remember Grigos draft. I wanted Canucks to draft him. Never turned out as a player.. 

Podz speaks decent English already. He'll be OK.