The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

43 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

it also really highlights how gaudette is not a center that we can rely on. a third line center has to be able to defend much more consistently than gaudette can. i honestly wouldnt mind another the canucks aquiring another center that can play in all situations excels on third line duties and wouldnt look out of place on the top six. replace sutter and gaudette's salary for a 5 million dollar center and let michaelis be gaudette 2.0

Gaudette, if he sticks on this team, will be as a third line winger.

Sutter is a terrible center for both him and Motte, for both wingers thrive on chaotic bang bang type hockey.

Sutter's way more measured, rarely goes below the goal line, and though he's defensively responsible, he's a terrible match for these two.

With that said, we've seen Hawyrluk's basically cut from the same cloth as Motte, and he seems to me to be a far superior puck distributor.

Adam is the most likely of our prospects to be traded this off season, imo.

If he can somehow manage to pack on 15-20lb of muscle in the next 1.5 seasons, perhaps he'll emerge as a part of this core, but right now he's a spectator on the outside looking in.

Edited by xereau
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah.  and I'm not sure anyone could or should have expected more in his absence.

no EP, no Beagle, (no Motte, no Pearson...).....(no Ferland....no Bailey...)

They've had all of Michaelis, Hawryluk, LE, MacEwen, and now a waiver claim Vesey in the lineup.

And yet they've gone on a tear in the midst of it.

I'd say that's pretty impressive - and that if the coaching were as bad as suggested around here - that's simply not possible/not gonna happen.

The thing about blaming the coaches for everything - it suggests that the lineup - even when it has an entire taxi squad of replacement forwards in and out of the lineup - is SO GOOD - that it 'should be' getting even better results.  If it's that good - even with a handful of depth replacements - then the team-building efforts ie that idiot Bennig -  must be doing a pretty good job.   I think the truth is that it's more balanced accross the board  - they have good talent, have good coaching, have good depth, have drafted well and have a lot of youth -- and are doing pretty well for such a young - and makeshift - group.   I don't think any aspect in particular deserves an undue amount of credit or blame - even the young stars owe a measure of their success to their 'foundational' team-mates.

you nailed it on the head. 

reading into shot differentials does not tell the true story of how this team wins/plays. when we give up 15 shots in the turd because we are defending, is the norm and definetley not bad play. it's a little to passive for my tastes, and if it were me would attempt to get more offensive whistles. the 2-2-1 offense gives me heart attacks, however effective it may be.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The important thing is our fate is more in our hands now.

With 6 games against the Oilers and 4 against the Flames we could reel both of them in. We could potentially be within 3 of the Oilers with a win on Monday.

I’m just pumped to not play the Canadiens anymore. We don’t match up well against them. The fact we split the series is a blessing and got much needed points on the other teams. I’m more comfortable playing the Flames and Oilers. Gonna be interesting. Let’s hope for a grand finish. Resiliency is our middle name 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

I’m just pumped to not play the Canadiens anymore. We don’t match up well against them. The fact we split the series is a blessing and got much needed points on the other teams. I’m more comfortable playing the Flames and Oilers. Gonna be interesting. Let’s hope for a grand finish. Resiliency is our middle name 

Identical counterpunch systems. Their guys seem to have a longer leash in going to get the puck in all zones though.

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I think the Habs are probably as well positioned to succeed down the stretch as any team.  For me, in spite of what they've done head to head vs the Canucks, otherwise, they might be the team that needs to step it up the most - they otherwise are probably underachieving to some extent - although they do have a weakness - and that is young centers - not the easiest to compensate for in a division with guys like Draivid and the lottery wankers in Toronto.

It's hard to beat a Carey Price - with a Shea Weber and Petry in front of him - with guys like Edmundson and Chiarot rounding out that top 4.  That is solid - and built from the back forward - as playoff type teams 'should' be imo.    They have some pretty good balance in that forward group as well. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think the Habs are probably as well positioned to succeed down the stretch as any team.  For me, in spite of what they've done head to head vs the Canucks, otherwise, they might be the team that needs to step it up the most - they otherwise are probably underachieving to some extent - although they do have a weakness - and that is young centers - not the easiest to compensate for in a division with guys like Draivid and the lottery wankers in Toronto.

It's hard to beat a Carey Price - with a Shea Weber and Petry in front of him - with guys like Edmundson and Chiarot rounding out that top 4.  That is solid - and built from the back forward - as playoff type teams 'should' be imo.    They have some pretty good balance in that forward group as well. 

Yeah they have like 4 really good second lines is the way I see it. Probably the best defence core in the division. And depending on what day it is one of the best goalies. A very balanced team.

Although I can’t tell you who’s gonna make it. I think any of the 4 teams currently in the top 4 could fall out outside maybe Toronto Schedules are getting harder then ours now. Guess we’ll see what happens. One injury to a McDavid for instance and it’s game over 

Edited by Devron44

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Gaudette, if he sticks on this team, will be as a third line winger.

Sutter is a terrible center for both him and Motte, for both wingers thrive on chaotic bang bang type hockey.

Sutter's way more measured, rarely goes below the goal line, and though he's defensively responsible, he's a terrible match for these two.

With that said, we've seen Hawyrluk's basically cut from the same cloth as Motte, and he seems to me to be a far superior puck distributor.

Adam is likely the most likely of our prospects to be traded this off season, imo.

If he can somehow manage to pack on 15-20lb of muscle in the next 1.5 seasons, perhaps he'll emerge as a part of this core, but right now he's a spectator on the outside looking in.

sutter at this point in his career is a excellent 4th line center on a good team and a decent 3rd line center on a bad team. it would make things so much more simple if beagle retired, at that point resigning sutter to replace beagle would be excellent, and would allow us to sign/trade for a 2B center.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

I have to say that was one of most boring ots I’ve seen other than the last 30 seconds or so. I didn’t think 3 on 3 could be that bad.

Dictated by the Canadiens. They have 9 OT/Shootout losses. Playing scared

• Cheers 2

I have no idea how you dont have Hogz out in OT, yet you put Vesey out there.  Green is a good coach but makes brutal decisions at times.  Vesey is a 3rd liner at best, and barely an Nhler on a contending team- he needs to use him as such.

In all, good effort.  Especially from the defense.