The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - the dzone needs work - and what you haven't mentioned is the other side of the equation -what Beagle brings when he's in the lineup.

If they can tread water to these guys return, I'm pretty optimistic about what the team could look like at that point.  They are playing gutsy hockey like they did vs Vegas -but a few key additions could really help.

I’m fully aware of what Beags brings,huge loss,along with Petey

Edited by Cromeslab
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Man, Feel for Holtby. Just wants to help the team.

Same, I'm glad he played well. He wants so badly to help.

Yeah, I've been pretty vocal about supporting him, but it sucks seeing him dumped on so much. 

Heaven forbid Demko has another streak of questionable games that result in losses. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, -Moose said:

Montreal deserved to win that game, we deserved to win the first one.

These 2 games have been a wash; we both take 3 points. What does that do for our playoff chances? 

It means the Nucks still have to win a butt load of games......Sigh :sadno::picard:

Just now, DeNiro said:

And he did tonight.

Big reason we even got a point. He gave them every chance to win in the shootout, and our shooters came up lame.

He basically battled a 10 million dollar goalie to a draw. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I didn’t mind his game. I would have liked to have seen more battle on the screens instead of just freezing. That could have been from not playing.

On the other hand one could say Price almost lost that game for Montreal. But I’m not much for blaming goalie. Screens are a tough business much like in the other end where you don’t get many shots, you’re almost cold and you get scored on from an high percentage play 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bure2Win said:

It means the Nucks still have to win a butt load of games......Sigh :sadno::picard:

We would have regardless if we took all 4 points against Montreal.

The Flames and Oilers are the teams we should eyeing anyways. They both have more games played than the Habs and we play them 4 times each.

37 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I'd like them to really figure out how good teams use their defensive zone coverage, because we sure suck in the defensive zone. 

If they were able to figure it out they would have done it 3 years ago. With the way these coaching staff runs the defensive system, they would make Shea Weber look like Erik Gudbranson. 

Seriously, no other team in the league execute the collapsing-the-crease-and-giving-all-time-and-space-to-the-other-team defence as well as we do.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I don't get the baumgartner hate, his collapsing defence allows for much fewer odd man rushes. the only time we surely giveup crazy shots is when we switch our offensive setup to a one man attack, it's been working lately, but extremely passive and almost limits our scoring chances to powerplays and the miracle whistle.

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Gotta' give you credit here, ON. You've been singing praises for our grind fwds for a while. It's not as if you're leading a chorus, either.

For a couple yrs I'd been critical of Sutter, in particular. But dating back to the EDM bubble, I've been really impressed with the guy over perhaps(?) the last 60-80 gp.

I'd say the whiners/detractors don't appreciate how much our young talent have learned(& been insulated by) these cagey vets.

I think it's been difficult for people to give Sutter a fair shake - for good enough reasons.

If they haven't really seen a healthy Sutter / at his best - it's hard to realize the difference - when what we've seen for a large part of his time here - is a hobbled Sutter.

Large stretches where he's playing wing, large stretches where he's not himself in the faceoff circle - shoulder injuries - and takes a pounding in the kind of minutes he plays.

In 2016/17,  a healthy Sutter - played 81 games, won 54.3% of his faceoffs - scored 17 goals and 34 points - on a bad team - playing hard minutes.

That is healthy Sutter.

This season - again  - is healthy - is winning 55.4% of his faceoffs, has 6 goals and needless to say, plays hard minutes (36% ozone starts).

Overall - there's nothing wrong with the 51 goals, 100 pts he has in 266 games here (about 16 goals, 31 pts per 82 games) - but when he's really at his best, he's dominant in the faceoff circle, and his defensive metrics are really good.

I don't know what it is with this teams luck - used to be that they'd always have overlapping defense injuries - but that has shifted to repeatedly having overlapping center injuries (hard to win consistently in either circumstance).  Hopefully that will come to an end soon.

Don't know why everyone is doom and gloom over losing in a shoot out to Montreal.

Look at the bigger picture. We are 5 points back on Edmontom who have a game in hand and a tougher schedule.

We play them SIX more times. And we have 4 more games versus Ottawa.

Edmonton is not dominating their games right now. Wow wee they slaughtered Ottawa! But they have played 7 games vs Ottawa (14 free bee points. 

Take a look at the standings. The Canucks are in a log Jame with everyone else points wise. And have the easiest schedule with their 1 week rest coming up.

Big deal we didn't get the two points tonight.

Look at the big picture. 

Oh yeah they are doing great without Petey right now!

Edited by ahf149
Added something
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think it's been difficult for people to give Sutter a fair shake - for good enough reasons.

If they haven't really seen a healthy Sutter / at his best - it's hard to realize the difference - when what we've seen for a large part of his time here - is a hobbled Sutter.

Large stretches where he's playing wing, large stretches where he's not himself in the faceoff circle - shoulder injuries - and takes a pounding in the kind of minutes he plays.

In 2016/17,  a healthy Sutter - played 81 games, won 54.3% of his faceoffs - scored 17 goals and 34 points - on a bad team - playing hard minutes.

That is healthy Sutter.

This season - again  - is healthy - is winning 55.4% of his faceoffs, has 6 goals and needless to say, plays hard minutes (36% ozone starts).

Overall - there's nothing wrong with the 51 goals, 100 pts he has in 266 games here (about 16 goals, 31 pts per 82 games) - but when he's really at his best, he's dominant in the faceoff circle, and his defensive metrics are really good.

I don't know what it is with this teams luck - used to be that they'd always have overlapping defense injuries - but that has shifted to repeatedly having overlapping center injuries (hard to win consistently in either circumstance).  Hopefully that will come to an end soon.

One prob is I got this bent for wanting to recycle the past, & profit.

I'd long figured if we turned TP & BS into say, 2 2nds, maybe JB turns out another gem(or two)?

Then you're taking a key 2003 asset(the Kesler 1st) & turning into possibly 3 decades of good fun. But Hell, JB has made so many other great selections, all this projecting is likely pointless!

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Seriously, no other team in the league execute the collapsing-the-crease-and-giving-all-time-and-space-to-the-other-team defence as well as we do.

If you remember the Tortorella effect  - I'm not sure you'd say that.

This team is a lot more aggressive - when it can be.

The thing is - though - when you are missing a few centers - you adjust.

And when that adjustment requires that you either utilize Gaudette at center - or wear on 3 lines (they're kind of in between these two) - then they naturally seem a bit more 'passive' - in part because they don't have the same ability to push the pace, and to dictate.

For me - the 'process' is quite different - healthy team relative to where they are now (and were late in the playoffs)....

It''s not as simple as blaming the 'system' - or even the coaches. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ahf149 said:

Don't know why everyone is doom and gloom over losing in a shoot out to Montreal.

Look at the bigger picture. We are 5 points back on Edmontom who have a game in hand and a tougher schedule.

We play them SIX more times. And we have 4 more games versus Ottawa.

Edmonton is not dominating their games right now. Wow wee they slaughtered Ottawa! But they have played 7 games vs Ottawa (14 free bee points. 

Take a look at the standings. The Canucks are in a log Jame with everyone else points wise. And have the easiest schedule with their 1 week rest coming up.

Big deal we didn't get the two points tonight.

Look at the big picture. 

Oh yeah they are doing great without Petey right now!

I am frustrated we couldn't beat Montreal once in regulation. That is a lot of points to give up to them. Second best team the whole season against them for the most part.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Going into the playoffs, I would be worried if I were a Habs fan.  Can't win a tie game after 37 shots on an average to moderately good goalie?  And what does that say about Price's work tonight.:o

That's why they should give up their spot to us. At least we defended a tie game with only 17 shots -- we're much more cost effective.