The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Anyone who thinks Miller is a better center than EP is insane

Miller can drive some individual offense but his line without EP has sucked at ES and Miller is not a reliable enough defensive player in the middle of the ice. Like Gaudette got scored on for a similar mistake to the one Miller made earlier that period but Miller controller deleted. 

Miller also went off for a bad change on one of the penalties we took in yesterday's game. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The good news is Holtby got his game in and it wasn’t a total disaster as we got one point. Now we can ride Demko again for the next 4 games until the next back to back against Winnipeg. 

Not to mention the week off.. Shouldn’t have to worry too much about resting Demko here on out. I can see Holtby maybe getting 3-4 more games tops 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Anyone who thinks Miller is a better center than EP is insane

Miller can drive some individual offense but his line without EP has sucked at ES and Miller is not a reliable enough defensive player in the middle of the ice. Like Gaudette got scored on for a similar mistake to the one Miller made earlier that period but Miller controller deleted. 

Miller also went off for a bad change on one of the penalties we took in yesterday's game. 

Petey returns back to Center when he comes back, I have no doubt. Miller has played well enough but Petey future is at Center imo 

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I was actually on board with selling a few weeks ago when we were stuck in the mud... but after a rip like this I think you gotta give the guys the chance to claw back into it.  

Development far outweighs any depth picks we might nab from Sutter or Pearson if he heals up.  Looks like a 2nd would be lucky at this point anyways. 

It’d be fantastic if we can somehow make the playoffs this year... but even if not, I remember the dogfights down to the wire to make the post season the old WCE teams used to get into.  Every developing team needs to go through them and if it helps get our heads on straight to start next year it’s worth a pick or two. IMO

we going to need a team like Edmonton or mtl to tank and hard. because realistically, we aren't a .750 team. basically if canucks play .750 we need mtl/edm to play .450 or .650 and .350. the chances that happens in my opinion is lower than the 4% chance the playoffs predictors is giving us 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

We need a center back, soon.  Not gonna be too critical of Gaudette - but it's hard to hide/shelter him when you need a win nearly every night..

They've played some remarkable harm reduction hockey - but winning while always counterpunching aint easy.

Once again both Miller and Horvat struggled in the faceoff circle, uncharacteristically. 

Horvat 43%

Miller 38%

Sutter 56%

They must be gassed to some extent.

In spite of that I thought Horvat had one of his better games in quite some time.

And it's really nice to see the real Miller back - he went through a bit of a funk - but he's looking more and more himself.

But this is exactly the kind of circumstances/why I would have tried to add another guy like Richardson to this group.

When Petey comes back I would put Miller back on the wing with Petey.  Let Miller take the draws. When Beagle comes back we can move Sutter to play with Vesey and Virtanen. Put the Lotto Line back together and Horvat with Pearson and Hoglander. When everyone is back from injury I think our best lineup is the following:

Miller      Pettersson   Boeser 

Pearson  Horvat         Hoglander 

Vesey      Sutter          Virtanen 

Motte      Beagle        Hawryluk 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'm ok with the split, getting 7 out of 8 points on the road is a successful road trip. We have some home cooking coming up against the Jets and Flames. Soon we'll have Pettersson back.

Oh crap I thought we played Winnipeg on the road. That’s exciting. I enjoy game more when they play home ice.

Very good road trip. We got the results no doubt 

Zebras gave the Habs 3 point in 2 days.

Today wasnt quite as bad as yesterday, but I don't think Myers deserved the early interference call at all, and his 2nd one (which Habs scored after pulling the goalie) would never have happened it the effing cowards called one of the two trips in a row 2 mins earlier.  The second one was painfully obvious.  But then, if Weber gets away with it yesterday, why not other Habs today?

That's two goals Mtl shouldn't have gotten, and maybe one more for us on a PP.

As bad as we were on the shootout, OT was worse.  Bad changes, and badly timed changes took away good possession and opportunity.

Edited by Kragar

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Petey returns back to Center when he comes back, I have no doubt. Miller has played well enough but Petey future is at Center imo 

You can't expect much more than what Miller has given them in the time Petey is out but the comparison is ridiculous. Petey is 10x the centerman Miller is on both ends at ES. 

Miller's flaws make him a winger. It is what it is. He's still a great player when motivated but you can't pigeonhole him into center because he is not meant to play it outside of spot duty.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Petey comes back I would put Miller back on the wing with Petey.  Let Miller take the draws. When Beagle comes back we can move Sutter to play with Vesey and Virtanen. Put the Lotto Line back together and Horvat with Pearson and Hoglander. When everyone is back from injury I think our best lineup is the following:

Miller      Pettersson   Boeser 

Pearson  Horvat         Hoglander 

Vesey      Sutter          Virtanen 

Motte      Beagle        Hawryluk 

There's no chance this coach benches Roussel. 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'm ok with the split, getting 7 out of 8 points on the road is a successful road trip. We have some home cooking coming up against the Jets and Flames. Soon we'll have Pettersson back.

Definitely.

The targets keep changing too. Everyone thought it was the Habs we absolutely had to beat but the Flames and Oilers could drop too with more games played.

These games against the Jets and Flames will be even more important.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

didn't make the trip - and they put him on IR yesterday - so it looks like it'll still be a while...

Gotta' give you credit here, ON. You've been singing praises for our grind fwds for a while. It's not as if you're leading a chorus, either.

For a couple yrs I'd been critical of Sutter, in particular. But dating back to the EDM bubble, I've been really impressed with the guy over perhaps(?) the last 60-80 gp.

I'd say the whiners/detractors don't appreciate how much our young talent have learned(& been insulated by) these cagey vets.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Definitely.

The targets keep changing too. Everyone thought it was the Habs we absolutely had to beat but the Flames and Oilers could drop too with more games played.

These games against the Jets and Flames will be even more important.

Positive atttitude,I like it :)

• Vintage 1