The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans In The Stands Being Discussed

Rate this topic

-DLC-

On 3/22/2021 at 1:26 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, she can be a bit less exciting than a "Bure Breakaway" but sometimes science is not always exciting for the masses and those that are not educated enough to comprehend or appreciate basic science theories, hypothesis and principles.  That's why God invented mouthpiece dictators like TRUMP for Conservative simpletons and the uneducated selfish idiots who like simple answers to Large extremely complicated problems (A.K.A. Fascism) because they have NO capacity, tolerance or patience for details, facts and others.

Our good neighbors to the South can tell you all about what stupidity and ignorance has resulted in for them - after Approx One in every 325 living Adult Americans (Pre-Covid) will be dead by May because they believe it's a hoax or are too selfish to wear a mask to protect others. Those are the REAL FACTS and results of stupidity and selfishness and the fourth wave is just about to start for them down there. (Poor them!)

Thankfully Most Normal Canadians are not as uninformed, gullible and selfish as our good neighbors to the south.  I can't imagine living in such a whackjob society like the USA but of course there are always going to be a few of those "Flat-Earth / Area 51 Types" loose out there - even here in Canada - that live in the Alternate Universe and and don't care about facts and especially about others.  Thankfully they are a very, very tiny minority here in Canada (Mostly in Alberta and out in the Hinterlands cut off from modern Civilization)

Thank you for this.  Happy to see at least some ppl on these boards have a brain.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

So you are saying its working! The things we are sacrificing are really working at saving lives. Nice, thanks for that info. The families who have experienced a loss, some 22,679 in Canada alone, due to covid, you are in our hearts. 

((wow your math says that 22,479 Canadians died of covid in just the care homes so far, wait that doesn't sound accurate at all. I think you may be mistaken))

Well, he gets his data from qanon.com, so in his own mind hes correct.

20 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I personally would not go, not due to COVID but due to the fact that the Canucks have never won against a Canadian team when I am in the building.

LOL, we need to change that, get you to more games so you can experience a win, OR ban you from the arena until at least the 3rd round of bubble hockey. 

WHichever leads to more Canucks Wins. ; )

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

LOL, we need to change that, get you to more games so you can experience a win, OR ban you from the arena until at least the 3rd round of bubble hockey. 

WHichever leads to more Canucks Wins. ; )

They still win more than they lose in the 15 games I attended, they have an overall record of 9-5-1 (through the time span of 2016-2020, imo that is pretty impressive as most of the time during those years we suck overall). It is just that they are 0-2-1 against Canadian teams when I am in the building, but against American teams they have a very good 9-3-0 record. Given the fact that we are only playing against Canadian teams this season, even if they allow fans to go, I won't be going to them. Too much of a jinx.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Cheers 1

It was a rough ride through those years before Markus Naslund, my favourite Canucks Era was from 2001 thru to Nassy's move to New York and subsequent retirement. 

Close second though is the last oh, three yearsish. Been an active fan since 79/80 more or less. And yeah, I would put the Sedin era third in my rankings, just my own little thing. The cup runs prior to 2011 were one off 'flukes' if you will, with years on either side of them not as good as the one off wild rides to the finals, but in 2011 we had a good core and enjoyed success leading up to that run, making it my fav of the three finals appearances. I really think this core will also have good multiple years results and maybe even their own finals appearance: and once your in the dance, anything can happen!

Edited by Primal Optimist

On March 21, 2021 at 5:32 PM, linden17 said:

Everything open and function normally. You know how many people outside of long term care homes have died from it in Canada? Just over two hundred. A lot of fear mongering going on here and it’s working. People are so afraid of this that they will never be the same again about going out in public. The only thing that should be getting focused on is the long term care homes. Everything else should be up and running and surviving.

What a disgustingly dishonest pile of crap. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

What a disgustingly dishonest pile of crap. 

Well if your interested in stats - they are available.  6.1% of folks that get covid are 80 or older but 90% of the fatalities are also 80 or older.   Do the math.   I have older Aunts and Uncles in that age range and heck no do i want any of their lives to be cut short.  And also know a lot of folks 70 plus who covid fatigue over not being able to see their loved ones for over a year now is getting  really really old.   They know they have a finite time on this earth and this whole thing is getting old fast.    Hard to balance the human cost isn't it?   

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well if your interested in stats - they are available.  6.1% of folks that get covid are 80 or older but 90% of the fatalities are also 80 or older.   Do the math.   I have older Aunts and Uncles in that age range and heck no do i want any of their lives to be cut short.  And also know a lot of folks 70 plus who covid fatigue over not being able to see their loved ones for over a year now is getting  really really old.   They know they have a finite time on this earth and this whole thing is getting old fast.    Hard to balance the human cost isn't it?   

Ok here are some stats. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-age-85-and-older-account-for-over-half-of-excess-deaths-amid-covid-19-statcan-1.5205790

"

Between March and June 2020, as COVID-19 spread across the country, Canada saw an estimated 7,576 excess deaths. That figure refers to deaths that exceed the number that would normally be expected during any given period of time.

Of these excess deaths, StatCan found that 52 per cent were individuals age 85 and older, 36 per cent were aged 65-84 and 12 per cent were younger than 65."

52 % of 7,576 equals 3,939.52   of 85 and up

36% of 7,576 equals 2,727.36    of 65-84

12% of 7,576 equals  90.12        of younger than 65

Yep, looks like what linden 17 posted:

" You know how many people outside of long term care homes have died from it in Canada? Just over two hundred. .

was disgustingly dishonest crap.

4 months in 2020.

4 months in 2020, not the whole damn pandemic, but four months.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2021 at 5:32 PM, linden17 said:

Everything open and function normally. You know how many people outside of long term care homes have died from it in Canada? Just over two hundred. A lot of fear mongering going on here and it’s working. People are so afraid of this that they will never be the same again about going out in public. The only thing that should be getting focused on is the long term care homes. Everything else should be up and running and surviving.

Yeah, "only" two hundred people died a death that could have been prevented (I wonder how quickly you'd change your tune if one of those 200 was someone close to you).

So, since you claim to know better than the Canadian CDC, mind letting us know what would be the # of dead in excess of that 200, if we were to follow your plan? 

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Ok here are some stats. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-age-85-and-older-account-for-over-half-of-excess-deaths-amid-covid-19-statcan-1.5205790

"

Between March and June 2020, as COVID-19 spread across the country, Canada saw an estimated 7,576 excess deaths. That figure refers to deaths that exceed the number that would normally be expected during any given period of time.

Of these excess deaths, StatCan found that 52 per cent were individuals age 85 and older, 36 per cent were aged 65-84 and 12 per cent were younger than 65."

52 % of 7,576 equals 3,939.52   of 85 and up

36% of 7,576 equals 2,727.36    of 65-84

12% of 7,576 equals  90.12        of younger than 65

Yep, looks like what linden 17 posted:

" You know how many people outside of long term care homes have died from it in Canada? Just over two hundred. .

was disgustingly dishonest crap.

4 months in 2020.

4 months in 2020, not the whole damn pandemic, but four months.

Tried the link didn't work.  Are you saying 52% were .... 85 and up?  And then a broad stroke bracket of 65-84 (15 years) makes 88%?  I've seen reports that 90% of all covid deaths are 80 or older world wide...this doesn't line up but it does show (if 6.1% in Canada  who get it are 80 or older and of those ... well do the math ) that it's a disease that kills the elderly does it not?   

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tried the link didn't work.  Are you saying 52% were .... 85 and up?  And then a broad stroke bracket of 65-84 (15 years) makes 88%?  I've seen reports that 90% of all covid deaths are 80 or older world wide...this doesn't line up but it does show (if 6.1% in Canada  who get it are 80 or older and of those ... well do the math ) that it's a disease that kills the elderly does it not?   

Link works for me. Story by CTV news dated Nov 26,2020.

The disease does take eldery  at a higher rate than other age groups, but it is not exclusive to the old or even just the old or medically fragile

The issue here is poster "linden 17" stated "just over 200" and that is proven false by using only 4 months of data, not even the whole pandemic, just 4 months.

I've found this thread to be quite good at catching falsehoods, and keeping the numbers roughlty correct.

Had linden 17 said "Meh mostly old folks die from it" He'd have been ok factualy, though folk would take issue with his empathy meter.

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

Link works for me. Story by CTV news dated Nov 26,2020.

The disease does take eldery  at a higher rate than other age groups, but it is not exclusive to the old or even just the old or medically fragile

The issue here is poster "linden 17" stated "just over 200" and that is proven false by using only 4 months of data, not even the whole pandemic, just 4 months.

I've found this thread to be quite good at catching falsehoods, and keeping the numbers roughlty correct.

Had linden 17 said "Meh mostly old folks die from it" He'd have been ok factualy, though folk would take issue with his empathy meter.

Also the thing that matters the most, how can anyone judge what a year of life is worth?  Or two.    A lot.   Personally i'm proud of being in a country that respects this.   But i also see what's going on around my own  circle,  and with the generation above who are seniors that want to live their lives without fear and restrictions of mobility - and won't judge any of them that throw caution to the wind. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2021 at 10:10 AM, ruilin96 said:

I personally would not go, not due to COVID but due to the fact that the Canucks have never won against a Canadian team when I am in the building.

The last time I bought any kind of season ticket, an 11 game pack, was during the Messier era.  They won a grand total of 2 games out of the 11.  And one of those was a preseason game!  After that I decided I'd rather sit at home and drink cheap beers and watch on TV.

As far as COVID and going into the arena, I don't see why not for next season. This fall. As long as most everyone is vaccinated with a second shot, and can prove it going in. Other than the freedumb lovers of course. I for one welcome our nano-bot overlords.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 9:28 PM, debluvscanucks said:

We're inching back to some form of normality.

Hockey is HUGE in my life....it's what I do for entertainment.   I, for one, will be so excited to see a game live again...I never took it for granted and I certainly appreciate the entire experience.

Early on, but it's light at the end of the tunnel that it's even being discussed.   (Dad got vaccinated today so everything's starting to trend in the right direction).

Can hardly wait for the day......

I have wondered all year why they haven't allowed a few thousand in for games.  There is 0 reason that this can't be done safely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

They can't even keep the players safe.

All the players are safe

The league is just being extra careful and vigilant 

I bet if they allowed social distanced fans it wouldn't affect the numbers.

The restrictions are a joke and make no sense. Cactus club is packing people in on the patio where its no different than eating inside.

Funny enough, wineries are exempt from the restriction ban and Bonnie owns one...

This government has got to go. Covid has highlighted that for sure 

• Upvote 1