The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Who signed as RFA's, not UFA's...

This obviously makes a huge difference in cost, but the "realistic fans" like silky and k25 will completely ignore this and any other facts or logic that conflict with their determination to spew their bile all over the team and anyone who supports it.

• Cheers 3

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't read too much into this....a well deserved break for some.  Time to let the bodies heal.

Although there will be the people who will fire up the rumour mill and that's ok too.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'll respond to you because you're not a completely ignorant troll like kanucks 25. You're just impatient and HATE management, lol. Okay. That's your right.

First off on paper I agree completely. The veterans aren't doing much better than anyone else. In a perfect scenario we trade Benn, Sutter, Pearson, Roussel, Edler, Beagle, and whatever else you can think of. Maybe we get 2 seconds, maybe 3, and a couple thirds. Okay great ... but that's not reality, that's NHL21, childish.

Look around the league. Buffalo has declared a firesale (again), and they've traded one player. For all the complaining you are doing there has been only one such trade in the entire NHL, yet you and others think that we should have made 6 of these moves already. That doesn't jive. Obviously, YOU, are you missing something.

What you are missing is this isn't a paper team, it's a real hockey team. If the league operated the way you wish 18-20 teams would be trading away half of there useless teams every year. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that's not going work mathematically. On top of that, hockey teams don't just roll over and die to the point you stop trying. A hockey team isn't an old car, you can't park it out back or just hang an I quit sign on it every time there is trouble. At the first sign of trouble the CEO can't just fire everyone and start again every year.

Deep down it sounds like you're more mad at the NHL than JB, or inherently you just think 75% of the NHL managers are morons and you could do a better job. I implore you to look in the mirror ask yourself if you really believe these guys are all idiots and you and your laptop and that much smarter.

As far as gaining assets for now and the future sure they're great but we don't need to gut the team for it either. We've done just fine with the picks we've acquired. JB is doing a great job with drafting. It's not an area of concern. Lets say we attempt to trade all those players. Realistically, the best we could hope for would be Benn, Sutter, Pearson, Roussel. I doubt Edler waives, and I doubt we move Beagle if Sutter goes. He also hasn't played due to injury in a month or so anyway. So we probably get a second or two, and a third or two. Out of those picks it's not even likely we'll get an NHL player. Random draft picks are really over-rated on this board by some people. Those picks we've missed on are most likely not improving our depth much at all. That's reality.

Now if we could dump Benn today for a 6th, a 5th, is it really worth it to be forced to throw OJ into the line-up when obviously that's something they aren't comfortable with? Apparently not. Same with Sutter, should we have dumped him for a 5th last week even though we had a severe shortage of centers? I guess JB would rather have a decent end to the season. He's running a $750 million dollar NHL hockey team. A business. You're running a $79.99 dollar team you bought at Wal-Mart.

Finally you're complaining about something that hasn't even, 'not happened' yet. The trade deadline is April 8, and we'll be looking to move players. I for one would be shopping Benn, Sutter, Pearson, and (Roussel/Virtanen) I would hope we do get a return on them. If we do great. If not, it's not the end of the world.

Remember, someone actually has to want our players, and it doesn't mean the GM is a fool every second you wish for something and it doesn't happen. For all you know he's trying to do exactly what you are proposing. According to your logic GM's should be looking to move at least 200 contracts across the league so as you can imagine it will very competitive to move the guys you suggest.

I love people who respond in a post by attacking people they don’t know and using big works to sound smart. It’s a very immature response with video game comparisons. It’s not the first time I have seen you try to do it to others. You try to use video game references to stop people in their tracks and make them feel stupid. It also makes it hard to take you seriously. Bravo but it doesn’t work on me. There is more than enough evidence to understand who Jim Benning is and how Jim Benning works. This isn’t his first year. He has always made excuses as to why he hasn’t been able to move players. Yet other teams seem to move out players with no problems. I am basing it on how he has worked since he has been here. It’s all we have to go on. So suggesting that people who make comments are treating it like a video game is a dumb argument and insulting. He always has an excuse as to why things can’t be done. Figure it out and get creative and so far he hasn’t. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • RoughGame 2

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't read too much into this....a well deserved break for some.  Time to let the bodies heal.

Although there will be the people who will fire up the rumour mill and that's ok too.

I'm glad Mac is still in there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Very immature response with video game comparisons. You try to use video game references to stop people in their tracks and make them feel stupid. It also makes it hard to take you seriously. Bravo but it doesn’t work on me. There is more than enough evidence to understand who Jim Benning is and how Jim Benning works. This isn’t his first year. He has always made excuses as to why he hasn’t been able to move players. Yet other teams seem to move out players with no problems. I am basing it on how he has worked since he has been here. It’s all we have to go on. So suggesting that people who make comments are treating it like a video game is a dumb argument and insulting. He always has an excuse as to why things can’t be done. Figure it out and get creative and so far he hasn’t. 

The thing is, how do you KNOW what other teams endure/experience?  None of us do.

Negotiating with other parties isn't as easy as some make it out to be.  One and done.  Trade away x, y, and z and obtain a, b, and c. 

Evidence here is based on results but ignores the path traveled to get there (or not).  So that's where my issue lies...with people pretending they know all about the behind the scenes and pretending things are easier than they may be in actuality.  

It's not immature....many do treat this like a video game where you can more easily acquire players.  

To say "some teams seem to move out players with no problems" overlooks a whole lot of work that goes into that and supports that.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is, how do you KNOW what other teams endure/experience?  None of us do.

Negotiating with other parties isn't as easy as some make it out to be.  One and done.  Trade away x, y, and z and obtain a, b, and c. 

Evidence here is based on results but ignores the path traveled to get there (or not).  So that's where my issue lies...with people pretending they know all about the behind the scenes and pretending things are easier than they may be in actuality.  

It's not immature....many do treat this like a video game where you can more easily acquire players.  

To say "some teams seem to move out players with no problems" overlooks a whole lot of work that goes into that and supports that.  

I have not mentioned one trade the Canucks should do. I am saying they tend to sit on players who have expiring contracts. We get nothing for them in the end. How is that good asset management? It’s not. I am sorry but when you try to throw insults by saying you are behind your laptop making deals and I bought my team for 79.99 at Walmart. What would you call that? That is immaturity. That’s not having a conversation. That’s an accusation. There is more than enough evidence to point to the deficiencies of Jim Benning to be replaced. More failures than successes. I understand you guys like Jim Benning but you can’t ignore the big holes this team has and the amount of time he has had to fix them.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I have not mentioned one trade the Canucks should do. I am saying they tend to sit on players who have expiring contracts. We get nothing for them in the end. How is that good asset management? It’s not. I am sorry but when you try to throw insults by saying you are behind your laptop making deals and I bought my team for 79.99 at Walmart. What would you call that? That is immaturity. That’s not having a conversation. That’s an accusation. There is more than enough evidence to point to the deficiencies of Jim Benning to be replaced. More failures than successes. I understand you guys like Jim Benning but you can’t ignore the big holes this team has and the amount of time he has had to fix them.

I guess, for me, it's the deal that if you find NOTHING ever positive to say there's an old saying about that.   

You do a whole lof of insulting the team so to cry foul about that is kind of pot/kettle stuff.  

It's ok not to be satisfied with Benning....both sides have arguments and it's a matter of opinion (only).  The facts have to weigh in all the circumstances and sometimes don't.  Again - on both sides.

So riddle me this: How do you get rid of players on expiring contracts?  

I am sorry but this has been a lousy year.  The biggest and best thing about this year has been Demko and Hoglander. Their record is lousy. If I had a bunch of great things to say about this team I would but right now we don’t really have a bottom six. We have a bunch of contracts that are hard to get rid of because of money and term that Benning gave. He wants two more years. Even during that winning steak the way they were winning was unsustainable hockey. Demko basically had to win them games. I am not going to sugarcoat  a bad season. We don’t really even have a bottom 6 or a top 6. We have 5 players in the top six. Why are you so happy with where they are at? They are losing and not going to make the playoffs. You can’t tell me the way they play has been great either. I am not sure why you want me to be positive with how the team is structured or how the season has gone.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

20 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am sorry but this has been a lousy year.  The biggest and best thing about this year has been Demko and Hoglander. Their record is lousy. If I had a bunch of great things to say about this team I would but right now we don’t really have a bottom six. We have a bunch of contracts that are hard to get rid of because of money and term that Benning gave. He wants two more years. Even during that winning steak the way they were winning was unsustainable hockey. Demko basically had to win them games. I am not going to sugarcoat  a bad season. We don’t really even have a bottom 6 or a top 6. We have 5 players in the top six. Why are you so happy with where they are at? They are losing and not going to make the playoffs. You can’t tell me the way they play has been great either. I am not sure why you want me to be positive with how the team is structured or how the season has gone.

oh boo hoo, a lot of teams this covid season are not  doing well. we are definitely not the only team. we have some great players in Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Hoglander is doing well,  i really like how Vesey is playing, like another Motte.  some of our team is injured, can't help that.  the way they started this season, paying so many games with no practices even now we have games off but we still have played more games than any team in the league. it is a wonder we don't have more injuries. 

15 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Myers is literally 2nd on the team in ice time. Only to Quinn Hughes. He’s probably a 5 million dollar defencemen for what you get from him. 

Sheltered lmao 

Man these guys are dense. I won't even reply to that one Klown troll anymore but yeah:

What do people think Myers gets if he's a UFA next year? I'd bet he still gets $5.5 over 4 or something similar. Top UFA RD's command top dollar and UFA's are almost always overpaid in their final years in order to land them, especially the good ones.

Stating that one would rather go cheaper or in a different direction is fine. That's a valid hockey conversation. Attacking Benning or other posters because we did go the Myers route is incredibly shortsighted, childish, semantic, and annoying. Nobody is arguing that Myers is Paul Coffey, or Lidstrom, but RD are incredibly hard to find. He's one of the better options in the league like it or not. They cost money. I wish people would stop complaining because JB doesn't GM like they do. I would tell them, go to school, play hockey your entire life, and then GM your own team when you're 50, and for now STFU! :lol:

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1