The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

0 points -3 in the last 4 games.

Pretty small sample size dont you think? Lol

Its easy to pick apart any player by looking at a small sample. Look at the games since the trade, Tanner Pearson has 3 points and is -9. With top 6 and top pp line time. Highmore has 1 assist and is -3 over those 10 games. In his 7 games in Chicago over that time, Gaudette has 4 points and is a -2.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Its easy to pick apart any player by looking at a small sample. Look at the games since the trade, Tanner Pearson has 3 points and is -9. With top 6 and top pp line time. Highmore has 1 assist and is -3 over those 10 games. In his 7 games in Chicago over that time, Gaudette has 4 points and is a -2.

Just pointing it out. Some peeps still angry and say he's still a C. He's been winger mostly playing with Strome/Kubalik and sometimes Kane in limited minutes which are a greater improvement offensively than who we have in the bottom 6.

Not angry or upset at this deal. It isn't an important trade Gaudette's still a fringe player like Highmore. Gaudette's more along the lines of Baertschi being not good enough to be a top 6 forward and not good enough defensively to be in the bottom 6. Gaudette isn't a driver either otherwise he would had scored here. He needs good enough offensive players to play with and/or sheltered minutes.

Canucks need more dynamic players offensively and offensive drivers. We got Petey and Hughes, that's it. Players like Pod/Hog fit that complementary role to skill players better than Gaud. Maybe should draft a RW in the top 10 this year if we draft 8-12 and miss out on the D. Guenther/Lysell look solid.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Isnt that a bit of a small sample size for either player?

True. To really give both players a fair shake, they need to be given the whole season next year. Highmore, for all we know, may light it up. No one can say for sure.

I am a pretty happy fan of Highmore so far though. I like his effort level.

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Didn't stop you from judging the trade ;)

I judged the trade based on the type of players each of them are and their potential as players at the NHL level.

That has nothing to do with a handful of games for either of them. 

Trading offensive minded players for energy guys, especially when they are young, very often turn out to be costly trades.

Highmore is more of what we already have a lot of on the team. What we dont have is players outside of the top 3 that can generate consistent offensive chances.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

35 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Just pointing it out. Some peeps still angry and say he's still a C. He's been winger mostly playing with Strome/Kubalik and sometimes Kane in limited minutes which are a greater improvement offensively than who we have in the bottom 6.

Not angry or upset at this deal. It isn't an important trade Gaudette's still a fringe player like Highmore. Gaudette's more along the lines of Baertschi being not good enough to be a top 6 forward and not good enough defensively to be in the bottom 6. Gaudette isn't a driver either otherwise he would had scored here. He needs good enough offensive players to play with and/or sheltered minutes.

Canucks need more dynamic players offensively and offensive drivers. We got Petey and Hughes, that's it. Players like Pod/Hog fit that complementary role to skill players better than Gaud. Maybe should draft a RW in the top 10 this year if we draft 8-12 and miss out on the D. Guenther/Lysell look solid.

I said from day 1 that Gaudette should be a winger at the nhl level, not a 3rd line center. So we agree on that.

Where I disagree is saying Gaudette isn't a player who can drive offense. Even this year in Van, he still generated a lot of offensive chances.  He and his linemates struggled to finish them but its not like his offensive ability dried up. Someone posted some stats around that in here.

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I judged the trade based on the type of players each of them are and their potential as players at the NHL level.

That has nothing to do with a handful of games for either of them. 

Trading offensive minded players for energy guys, especially when they are young, very often turn out to be costly trades.

Highmore is more of what we already have a lot of on the team. What we dont have is players outside of the top 3 that can generate consistent offensive chances.

Goldobin for Hansen trade...

Yeah.

I'll just leave that there.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I said from day 1 that Gaudette should be a winger at the nhl level, not a 3rd line center. So we agree on that.

Where I disagree is saying Gaudette isn't a player who can drive offense. Even this year in Van, he still generated a lot of offensive chances.  He and his linemates struggled to finish them but its not like his offensive ability dried up. Someone posted some stats around that in here.

Elite offensive players are offensive drivers. There's a reason why our offense went down the toilet with Petey out. Even with crappy Brown running it the PP scored more so with Petey on it.

He's a complementary player plain and simple. He's scoring with better offensive players. If he doesn't play with them he doesn't score. We have Pod/Hog moving forward who look a lot better for that. Plus we have a potential top 10 pick this year and probably next year as well.

Then there's also the fact that he's trash defensively compared to even to most of the fringe players we have and can't be used in any sort of defensive role.

Losing him is nothing to lose sleep over. I value Motte over Gaudette and he's pretty much forward Tanev(good PKer/defensively but hurt all the time).

That said I would had gotten something other than Highmore. Motte/Hawryluk/Lockwood/Highmore are too similar. Could have used a more bigger/physical forward like Mac or a RD. Maybe would have added a bit with Gaudette and tried for Zadorov if it wasn't too much more.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Move over Wayne Gretzky!

What about the more recent winners? It just shows how much the NCAA Hockey program has progressed that the recent winners (mostly) turned out to be elite NHL talents. 

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Exactly people using that small sample size need to look at the recent resigning of Tanner Pearson. Because the last 5 games from him also looks kind of rough

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Those players were brought in "for Gaudette"?

That's an odd claim - a real overestimation imo of the importance of Gaudette.

Benning did always say that he hired those veterans to "insulate" the young guys (which includes Gaudette)  and that they are "good in the locker room". So they were brought in for culture building and yet you have young players like Gaudette being asked to get traded (allegedly). 

Edited by iinatcc
  • RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, tas said:

bo? brock? stecher? markstrom? 

Bo and Brock were near NHL caliber players when they got drafted and they also figured things out faster. Makrstrom was coached by the goalie coaches which Vancouver has done great with actually.

But what about these players that haven't figured it out yet and either need time or need the organization to support their development? Guys like McCann, Virtanen, Juolevi, and Gaudette who haven't fully figure it out yet? 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Goldobin for Hansen trade...

Yeah.

I'll just leave that there.

Completely different circumstances.

Goldobin had not had a full nhl season under his belt to show if he could score at the nhl level. He was simply a prospect at that point.

Hansen was not a 4th line energy guy either and was much older. 

That trade was a vet for a prospect.

The Gaudette/Highmore trade was a young nhl player for another nhl player with two different skill sets.

Apples and oranges but nice try.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Elite offensive players are offensive drivers. There's a reason why our offense went down the toilet with Petey out. Even with crappy Brown running it the PP scored more so with Petey on it.

He's a complementary player plain and simple. He's scoring with better offensive players. If he doesn't play with them he doesn't score. We have Pod/Hog moving forward who look a lot better for that. Plus we have a potential top 10 pick this year and probably next year as well.

Then there's also the fact that he's trash defensively compared to even to most of the fringe players we have and can't be used in any sort of defensive role.

Losing him is nothing to lose sleep over. I value Motte over Gaudette and he's pretty much forward Tanev(good PKer/defensively but hurt all the time).

That said I would had gotten something other than Highmore. Motte/Hawryluk/Lockwood/Highmore are too similar. Could have used a more bigger/physical forward like Mac or a RD. Maybe would have added a bit with Gaudette and tried for Zadorov if it wasn't too much more.

When did I say Gaudette was an elite offensive player? Like probably almost every offesively skilled player in the NHL, he plays better with better linemates. Maybe Gaudette's linemates also held back his offense rather than him draining theirs. Its not a stretch to think playing with non offensive players had an impact.

I have no problem with them trading Gaudette. I have a problem with them trading him for a redundant bottom 6 type player we already have too many of who cant provide any offense. Simply because Benning was high on Highmore years ago and missed out on him. Myopic view not based on how the players trajectory actually went at the nhl level. Benning and Green think he is top 6 material ffs. Other people on here said - with a straight face - that Highmore was put with Horvat and Pearson lasf game because they needed him to shut down McDavid. That worked well, hey?

Not every player in the nhl is great defensively. Smart coaches and GM's can probably figure that out and not try to mold them into a 3C shutdown center. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I say Gaudette was an elite offensive player? Like probably almost every offesively skilled player in the NHL, he plays better with better linemates. Maybe Gaudette's linemates also held back his offense rather than him draining theirs. Its not a stretch to think playing with non offensive players had an impact.

I have no problem with them trading Gaudette. I have a problem with them trading him for a redundant bottom 6 type player we already have too many of who cant provide any offense. Simply because Benning was high on Highmore years ago and missed out on him. Myopic view not based on how the players trajectory actually went at the nhl level. Benning and Green think he is top 6 material ffs. Other people on here said - with a straight face - that Highmore was put with Horvat and Pearson lasf game because they needed him to shut down McDavid. That worked well, hey?

Not every player in the nhl is great defensively. Smart coaches and GM's can probably figure that out and not try to mold them into a 3C shutdown center. 

I am was stating my opinion in the sense on my thinking that elite offensive players should only really be considered true drivers in offensive play. They do it vs the best defensive players the other team has on a nightly basis. I see Gaudette as a complementary secondary scorer who needs to play sheltered minutes and/or with good players.

I also stating my opinion that I wouldn't have traded Gaudette for Highmore. We had Motte/Hawryluk/Lockwood already who play similar. I would have wanted someone different as well.

Lind should be playing with Horvat. Kids need minutes.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I am was stating my opinion in the sense on my thinking that elite offensive players should only really be considered true drivers in offensive play. They do it vs the best defensive players the other team has on a nightly basis. I see Gaudette as a complementary secondary scorer who needs to play sheltered minutes and/or with good players.

I also stating my opinion that I wouldn't have traded Gaudette for Highmore. We had Motte/Hawryluk/Lockwood already who play similar. I would have wanted someone different as well.

Lind should be playing with Horvat. Kids need minutes.

I dont disagree that Gaudette is a secondary offensive player. He is still really good at generating offensive chances though. He is a guy who should be playing with better players, as Chicago seems to understand.

There is a reason why a lot of teams are starting to play their offensive minded, defensively lacking younger players with better players in an offensive role. It actually helps limit their defensive liability. Good offensive lines that can control the puck more have to defend less.

The Canucks are, based on what I have seen, one of the worst teams for getting hemmed in their own end. Thsts not the end of the ice you want guys like Gaudette playing in.

• RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont disagree that Gaudette is a secondary offensive player. He is still really good at generating offensive chances though. He is a guy who should be playing with better players, as Chicago seems to understand.

There is a reason why a lot of teams are starting to play their offensive minded, defensively lacking younger players with better players in an offensive role. It actually helps limit their defensive liability. Good offensive lines that can control the puck more have to defend less.

The Canucks are, based on what I have seen, one of the worst teams for getting hemmed in their own end. Thsts not the end of the ice you want guys like Gaudette playing in.

Yeah that has more to do with the coaches and roster.

Pod/Hog help make a guy like Gaudette(and Virtanen for that matter) expendable. They are likely gonna be better complementary players in the top 9(top 6 after they've established themselves). We've also got guys better suited for a bottom 6 role coming up(Lind/Gadjo/etc) so losing Gaudette doesn't hurt. He's a project player for the Hawks.

Still, I would have liked someone different than Highmore considering we have Hawryluk/Lockwood/Motte as similar players. Could have at least gotten something we need like a physical forward/D that helps create a safe environment for stars and holds people accountable like Mac.

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Drake 10052021072334.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I have you on ignore bud.

This will be the last response you ever get from me so you dont have to worry. I have no time for you.

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

:picard:

Edited by oldnews