The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

....I don’t even know what that means lol

Listen I get that no one is a fan of losing Gaudette for this guy. But I honestly do like his overall game better than Gauds. 

Too many times I’ve watched gauds just float around out of position. Then score a goal here and there and Celly! Hard. That’s about it. Him and Jake both frustrate me to no end. Good shot and can score goals here and there, but there is the rest of the game to play away from the net, and they both concern me with their lack of awareness in that department.

This is my opinion of course but it’s just my overall feeling when watching and evaluating players. I get that people disagree, I’m ok with that. But don’t call me bonkers just because I think the way I do. I see what I see and am willing to discuss it, others will see what they see and I’m willing to listen and learn if possible if the point is solid. I don’t want to say “I’ve been watching hockey for 30 years” as that’s not much of an argument. But what I do know is I’ve watched a ton of junior, ECHL, AHL, and nhl games all live and in person. I love hockey, I travel for work and am on the road. I catch games live where I can...I guess not since COVID tho lol. Anyways this is where I form my opinions from. Not just out of thin air.

Honestly I think we should have had both Jake and gauds brought up thru the AHL. We fast tracked both of them and I do think we hurt their growth. 

I hope gauds gets a chance to gel and become a better player in Chicago. But he ain’t ours anymore so I’m focusing on Highmore to see what he brings to the table. I guess I’m an ‘intangibles’ guy, and there is a lot to like in that department with Highmore. 

I like the fact that people slept on Motte at the beginning, and then he gradually became a fan favourite. Now I'm not saying that will necessarily happen with Highmore, but people should be looking at how much better of a fit Highmore is for the team. He plays hard. He forechecks well. He makes the safe plays (most of the time). Gaudette lacks the consistency like Goldobin. If Goldobin's game wasn't good enough to justify a roster, why would Gaudette have a spot?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

....I don’t even know what that means lol

Listen I get that no one is a fan of losing Gaudette for this guy. But I honestly do like his overall game better than Gauds. 

Too many times I’ve watched gauds just float around out of position. Then score a goal here and there and Celly! Hard. That’s about it. Him and Jake both frustrate me to no end. Good shot and can score goals here and there, but there is the rest of the game to play away from the net, and they both concern me with their lack of awareness in that department.

This is my opinion of course but it’s just my overall feeling when watching and evaluating players. I get that people disagree, I’m ok with that. But don’t call me bonkers just because I think the way I do. I see what I see and am willing to discuss it, others will see what they see and I’m willing to listen and learn if possible if the point is solid. I don’t want to say “I’ve been watching hockey for 30 years” as that’s not much of an argument. But what I do know is I’ve watched a ton of junior, ECHL, AHL, and nhl games all live and in person. I love hockey, I travel for work and am on the road. I catch games live where I can...I guess not since COVID tho lol. Anyways this is where I form my opinions from. Not just out of thin air.

Honestly I think we should have had both Jake and gauds brought up thru the AHL. We fast tracked both of them and I do think we hurt their growth. 

I hope gauds gets a chance to gel and become a better player in Chicago. But he ain’t ours anymore so I’m focusing on Highmore to see what he brings to the table. I guess I’m an ‘intangibles’ guy, and there is a lot to like in that department with Highmore. 

I don't think people whose opinions are on either side of this (or any debate really) should be told they are bonkers, or stupid, or an idiot. Or that their opinions have no basis. Everyone has their own perspective based on how they interpret things based on their own experience.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Kinda funny how Gaudette was supposed to be a high point of this regime's alleged drafting prowess.  Now, when he gets dumped for an undrafted free-agent, he's fallen down a tier or so into the Goldobin/Etem pile.  I'm not even saying that the assessment of him is wrong but it's all fairly convenient that this is now the case for him when a few months ago it wasn't.

Makes you wonder...

• RoughGame 1

Highmore definitely has potential to be a regular fourth liner for us. Could be a replacement for Motte if he gets taken in the expansion draft.

We’ll be able to get a better assessment of him next season with a full training camp. Hard to really judge any player in this gong show of a season.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Kinda funny how Gaudette was supposed to be a high point of this regime's alleged drafting prowess.  Now, when he gets dumped for an undrafted free-agent, he's fallen down a tier or so into the Goldobin/Etem pile.  I'm not even saying that the assessment of him is wrong but it's all fairly convenient that this is now the case for him when a few months ago it wasn't.

Makes you wonder...

I was pretty stoked when Gaudette came to the team. I thought he had a lot of potential and he may still have.  I hope he does. He wasn’t showing enough with his limited chances to add anything to the top six this year and was a detriment to the bottom six. I guess JB thinks the team has better options and was time to move on. Everything behind the scenes or in the room is just speculation. 

What I don’t wonder about is the “terrible trade” opinions. Like JB or not I don’t believe there were better offers available. 

Edited by 4petesake
Sp

Just now, AriGold said:

image.png.dbeb725eb143b472649c28bf85e05bae.png

More telling of the Hawks lack of depth with Toews out.

Pretty easy to get points playing with those guys. People will look at his point totals but it’s also about his 5 on 5 play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't think people whose opinions are on either side of this (or any debate really) should be told they are bonkers, or stupid, or an idiot. Or that their opinions have no basis. Everyone has their own perspective based on how they interpret things based on their own experience.

Exactly, I agree! I was called out yesterday for apparently not knowing hockey. It kinda set me off lol.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Exactly, I agree! I was called out yesterday for apparently not knowing hockey. It kinda set me off lol.

Cheers

Gaud even said during his first interview in Chicago he wasn’t getting to play the kinds of minutes in Van he is now getting in Chicago.  He’s not going to play centre here ahead of Petey, Bo, or Miller.  And he really isn’t a very good winger either.  We need what Highmore can bring in our bottom six way more than what Gaudette can do in a similar role.  Gaud is just too skinny to be an effective player.  He needs to be putting up points, or he hurts the team.  No role for him with us.  Glad he’s gone.  Sounds like a bit of an entitled goofball too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaud even said during his first interview in Chicago he wasn’t getting to play the kinds of minutes in Van he is now getting in Chicago.  He’s not going to play centre here ahead of Petey, Bo, or Miller.  And he really isn’t a very good winger either.  We need what Highmore can bring in our bottom six way more than what Gaudette can do in a similar role.  Gaud is just too skinny to be an effective player.  He needs to be putting up points, or he hurts the team.  No role for him with us.  Glad he’s gone.  Sounds like a bit of an entitled goofball too.  

Role matters for sure. He was miscast in Vancouver as a 3rd line C or winger on a checking line. Thats not on him though its on Benning and Green.

I think people get too fixated on actual points rather than looking at the details behind it. Players do get unlucky while still generating offensive chances. That was Gaudette this year really. He was still generating a lot but himself and his linemates couldnt convert that to goals consistently.

He was not as bad as people suggest, especially offensively.

Considering the Canucks struggle to score yet have Mac, Boyd, Vesey, Hawryluk, Motte, Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, etc. they actually need guys outside the big 3 who can generate offense far more than they need energy players.

Look at Pearson as an example. Huge opportunity offensively. Top 6, 1st pp unit since Petey went down, 2nd pp before that. Has done pretty much squat with it in points or driving offense on his line. People point to last year but he also had a whopping 9 empty net points including 6 of his goals. Add those points onto Gaudette its pretty close with far less opportunity.

Its all in how people choose to perceive players. Gaudette at a low salary is a useless player but Pearson at almost 4 mil is great? Pearson is better defensively for sure. But offensively? Not really considering the usage and role. 

Highmore is a fun player to watch. I would even argue he is better than most of our bottom 6. But he is also the type of guy you can eventually get off waivers. 

Not many trades end up looking good when you trade offensively skilled players for energy guys. 

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Role matters for sure. He was miscast in Vancouver as a 3rd line C or winger on a checking line. Thats not on him though its on Benning and Green.

I think people get too fixated on actual points rather than looking at the details behind it. Players do get unlucky while still generating offensive chances. That was Gaudette this year really. He was still generating a lot but himself and his linemates couldnt convert that to goals consistently.

He was not as bad as people suggest, especially offensively.

Considering the Canucks struggle to score yet have Mac, Boyd, Vesey, Hawryluk, Motte, Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, etc. they actually need guys outside the big 3 who can generate offense far more than they need energy players.

Look at Pearson as an example. Huge opportunity offensively. Top 6, 1st pp unit since Petey went down, 2nd pp before that. Has done pretty much squat with it in points or driving offense on his line. People point to last year but he also had a whopping 9 empty net points including 6 of his goals. Add those points onto Gaudette its pretty close with far less opportunity.

Its all in how people choose to perceive players. Gaudette at a low salary is a useless player but Pearson at almost 4 mil is great? Pearson is better defensively for sure. But offensively? Not really considering the usage and role. 

Highmore is a fun player to watch. I would even argue he is better than most of our bottom 6. But he is also the type of guy you can eventually get off waivers. 

Not many trades end up looking good when you trade offensively skilled players for energy guys. 

Gaud has that disease that keeps him skinny.  He was the lightest player on our team.  He’s either putting up a lot of points as a top six guy, or he hurts the team.  He’s not a skilled enough guy to be a top minute guy on a good team.  Imo he’s not on the Hawks come 2022.  

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaud has that disease that keeps him skinny.  He was the lightest player on our team.  He’s either putting up a lot of points as a top six guy, or he hurts the team.  He’s not a skilled enough guy to be a top minute guy on a good team.  Imo he’s not on the Hawks come 2022.  

I am more worried about you getting too skinny. 

GREAT to see you here, so long since we have heard from Alf! 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Correct he's not gonna play ahead of Petey,Bo, and Miller,

But don't trade him for a 4th liner, last year he was worth a second rounder,

Bad asset management,

Regardless where he plays in the lineup he's worth more then Highmore

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, klw604 said:

Whoever has the better career wins the trade

Highmore 4th liner

Gaudette can play up and down the lineup.....

Canucks sold low on Gaudette, terrible asset management

Highmore will be on our team playing fourth line minutes and PK for 3-5 years.  Gaudette will be gone out of the NHL in a year.  

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Highmore will be on our team playing fourth line minutes and PK for 3-5 years.  Gaudette will be gone out of the NHL in a year.  

Highmore is a career 4th liner, I agree he's gonna be here for couple years and it's a good thing.... But does that means he's a better player then Gaudette, he hasn't produced more points then Gaudette in the same amount of games.

Gaudette is worth more then Highmore, you cannot predict he's gonna be out of the league in two years, that's such a dumb thing to say, put some money on it if your that sure of it

• Haha 1

Just now, klw604 said:

Highmore is a career 4th liner, I agree he's gonna be here for couple years and it's a good thing.... But does that means he's a better player then Gaudette, he hasn't produced more points then Gaudette in the same amount of games.

Gaudette is worth more then Highmore, you cannot predict he's gonna be out of the league in two years, that's such a dumb thing to say, put some money on it if your that sure of it

Gaud didn’t accept his role on our team.  He had to go.  Yes, a second rounder would be great, but that clearly wasn’t offered.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Clearly he wasn’t worth a second.  Gaud isn’t that good.  Plus, he’s coming 25.  He's not 22.  He is what he is.  The guy has a disease that keeps him bone rail skinny.  And imo he’s arrogant.  He thinks he’s deserving of top minutes, and playing with top players.  Much prefer a fourth line guy, who understands his role.  Can’t have guys thinking they miscast.  

Age 23

33 points in 59 games

He had issues with his health, it's not fair to say he has a disease, what type of person are you, an arrogant one...

Travis green plays to win, he's coaching to make the playoffs, he doesn't have a contract, he's not gonna use Gaudette on the first two lines, the kid couldn't match up well against other top 6, and he doesn't have enough linemates to help drive play in the bottom 6, our bottom 6 is all defensive minded players

He wasn't a fit under Travis green

Sutter

Beagle

Roussel

Virtanen

Eriksson

Macewan

Motte

Hawryluk

Who's your play driver ?

• Sad 1