The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Speaks

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't see or hear that at all, the Vancast is the other non radio medium i listen to regarding the Canucks - if Drance was like you described I wouldn't bother listening.  It's obvious he has the respect of most of the Canucks otherwise why would they bother responding to his texts?  He didn't cross the line with regards to violating medical privacy which is what Juice was referring to.  

People need to understand media and the fans are very similar.  Both involve a large concentration of people but they don't speak for the rest of the group.  If you don't like the reporting or content then don't consume it but to paint every person in the media with the same brush is foolish.

He has an exaggerated laugh that he uses to mock guys like Sutter. Honestly I don't know how you can miss it. It's his attempt to fil the Botchford void and it sucks. His writing is much better but the persona he has tried to create is like nails on a chalkboard. 

On 4/20/2021 at 10:18 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Well....at least that's better than blaming it on the refs, (can't believe people still do that) but IMHO, it was a combination of too many top players playing injured (or in the case of Hamhuis, not playing at all) and Tim Thomas' .967 save percentage.

I felt the media got into Luongo's head a lot. I also think they had a hand in overblowing the pumping tires comment Luongo made that pushed Tim Thomas to play better. If we are only talking about things that happened on the ice, I don't blame the refs. I Rome for laying out the Bruin's player(I forgot his name) and woke up the Bruins. That hit turned the tides for Boston in a big way.

Edited by smokes

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

I felt the media got into Luongo's head a lot. I also think they had a hand in overblowing the pumping tires comment Luongo made that pushed Tim Thomas to play better. If we are only talking about things that happened on the ice, I don't blame the refs. I Rome for laying out the Bruin's player(I forgot his name) and woke up the Bruins. That hit turned the tides for Boston in a big way.

Some good points. For whatever reason, Lou was a different player in Boston. When he played in Vancouver, he was lights out, but for whatever reason, he couldn't carry that over to away games. I remember arguing with AV haters at the time, who were retroactively criticizing him for not starting Schneider in Boston, but how do you sit you #1, right after he slammed the door on the B's the game before?

The hit in Horton was huge, but I'd argue that Hamhuis' injury was a bigger catalyst. It shifted up the entire D corps and they didn't really look the same after that.

As far as the refs go, everyone remembers the even up call on Danny, after he stood there and took repeated punches fro Marchand...and it was a brutal call...but...what people forget is the fact that the Canucks got several more power plays than the Bruins did, They just didn't take advantage and I blame injuries for that.

Off the top of my head, the Canucks' walking wounded in the Finals that year included Hank, Kes, Edler, Juice and Ehrhoff. That doesn't even include Hammer and Manny. Then they lost Rome for the balance of the series....Honestly, I think they did well to take it to seven games, even though like everyone else, I was extremely disappointed with the effort in Game 7....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Some good points. For whatever reason, Lou was a different player in Boston. When he played in Vancouver, he was lights out, but for whatever reason, he couldn't carry that over to away games. I remember arguing with AV haters at the time, who were retroactively criticizing him for not starting Schneider in Boston, but how do you sit you #1, right after he slammed the door on the B's the game before?

The hit in Horton was huge, but I'd argue that Hamhuis' injury was a bigger catalyst. It shifted up the entire D corps and they didn't really look the same after that.

As far as the refs go, everyone remembers the even up call on Danny, after he stood there and took repeated punches fro Marchand...and it was a brutal call...but...what people forget is the fact that the Canucks got several more power plays than the Bruins did, They just didn't take advantage and I blame injuries for that.

Off the top of my head, the Canucks' walking wounded in the Finals that year included Hank, Kes, Edler, Juice and Ehrhoff. That doesn't even include Hammer and Manny. Then they lost Rome for the balance of the series....Honestly, I think they did well to take it to seven games, even though like everyone else, I was extremely disappointed with the effort in Game 7....

I remember that game 7 and the interviews leading up to the game. The Boston players seemed excited and ready to go the Canucks were like "Oh, god do we have to play another game?" It felt like the players were running on fumes. You can see during the game that over half the players were playing with injuries.

• Cheers 1

On 4/21/2021 at 4:47 PM, Down by the River said:

He has an exaggerated laugh that he uses to mock guys like Sutter. Honestly I don't know how you can miss it. It's his attempt to fil the Botchford void and it sucks. His writing is much better but the persona he has tried to create is like nails on a chalkboard. 

Drance is the worst.

Botch wasnt my fave either.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, smokes said:

I remember that game 7 and the interviews leading up to the game. The Boston players seemed excited and ready to go the Canucks were like "Oh, god do we have to play another game?" It felt like the players were running on fumes. You can see during the game that over half the players were playing with injuries.

Half that team had major surgery in the offseason.  Still think the turning point was losing Hamhuis.  He was unreal that playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

For those that missed it, Kevin Bieksa was on the Halford & Brough show this morning and gave a very compelling interview.  I highly recommend listening to the full thing: 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/kevin-bieksa-edlers-major-media-covering-canucks-return-play/ 

Fast forward to 7:50 in...  

- Media in Vancouver is pretty entitled, in reference to not being allowed to look at two practices coming off Covid.  

- "If you're not gonna get it right, then don't report it" in reference to false reports about Quinn Hughes needing IVs. 

- Intent media coverage in Vancouver and Canadian markets is definitely a factor and hurts the team's performance.  When playing in Anaheim they would talk to reporters once in a blue moon and it was much easier to get out of slumps without being crucified in the media.  

- Mentions being on a 10 game winning streak and coming home to read the news  "Steve Bernier hasn't scored in 15 games"

- There were "bully" reporters that players had asked to not be allowed in the room as they would constantly create negative controversies and find one player and pick on them.  

Just a little food for thought because after spending 25 years of following the Canucks, it almost becomes normalized to constantly hear negative stories about our team.  I'll never forget watching the 2011 Finals and seeing our very own Vancouver media taking Luongo's comments about Tim Thomas and turning them into a circus.  

We're currently in the middle of the weirdest season in memory and Canucks have had the worst schedule out of all 31 NHL teams, but our media has again just been calling for heads to roll all year.  

No no, you’re right, it’s the pandemic that made Jim Benning ice one of the least successful teams in the nhl over 7 years. 

Jesus Christ. 

• RoughGame 1

Just now, JDLax16 said:

No no, you’re right, it’s the pandemic that made Jim Benning ice one of the least successful teams in the nhl over 7 years. 

Jesus Christ. 

What you wrote has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.  

Leave Jesus Christ out of this JD. 

Just now, JDLax16 said:

I’m new here. Can I not say Jesus Christ?

Lol no you can, just that Jim Benning has nothing to do with what Kevin Bieksa was talking about in his interview.  

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Lol no you can, just that Jim Benning has nothing to do with what Kevin Bieksa was talking about in his interview.  

You mention in that post something to the effect of “in this weirdest of seasons people are calling for heads” as if they shouldn’t be. The only thing I can see that makes this year the way this year is is the pandemic. That’s what I am saying. Jim Benning’s is a called for head. His head is being called for because of seven years of largely failing.  It’s not enough that there is a pandemic in year 7 of a bad regime to say the regime hasn’t had a fair go. 

Jim Benning is the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

You mention in that post something to the effect of “in this weirdest of seasons people are calling for heads” as if they shouldn’t be. The only thing I can see that makes this year the way this year is is the pandemic. That’s what I am saying. Jim Benning’s is a called for head. His head is being called for because of seven years of largely failing.  It’s not enough that there is a pandemic in year 7 of a bad regime to say the regime hasn’t had a fair go. 

here is a spot for you to vent.

Did anyone see this article by Daniel Wagner the other day? Holtby is playing great hockey which is all we could ever ask, and there's an article in the local media on how we want this to continue solely so that he has to leave town? Bush league "reporting". Imagine being a player knowing that you're giving it your all for a team and playing great, and the wish is that you'd leave town. Why would free agents even want to sign here? I get that some contracts are worse than others, and there are scenarios where we do wish certain players would get picked up in expansion etc, but to literally write an entire article about it seems weak to me. Just my thoughts.  https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/if-all-goes-well-for-the-canucks-braden-holtby-will-play-himself-right-out-of-vancouver-3667651

• Vintage 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:28 AM, JDLax16 said:

Oh wow you’re still alive...

Cool.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

For those that missed it, Kevin Bieksa was on the Halford & Brough show this morning and gave a very compelling interview.  I highly recommend listening to the full thing: 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/kevin-bieksa-edlers-major-media-covering-canucks-return-play/ 

Fast forward to 7:50 in...  

- Media in Vancouver is pretty entitled, in reference to not being allowed to look at two practices coming off Covid.  

- "If you're not gonna get it right, then don't report it" in reference to false reports about Quinn Hughes needing IVs. 

- Intent media coverage in Vancouver and Canadian markets is definitely a factor and hurts the team's performance.  When playing in Anaheim they would talk to reporters once in a blue moon and it was much easier to get out of slumps without being crucified in the media.  

- Mentions being on a 10 game winning streak and coming home to read the news  "Steve Bernier hasn't scored in 15 games"

- There were "bully" reporters that players had asked to not be allowed in the room as they would constantly create negative controversies and find one player and pick on them.  

Just a little food for thought because after spending 25 years of following the Canucks, it almost becomes normalized to constantly hear negative stories about our team.  I'll never forget watching the 2011 Finals and seeing our very own Vancouver media taking Luongo's comments about Tim Thomas and turning them into a circus.  

We're currently in the middle of the weirdest season in memory and Canucks have had the worst schedule out of all 31 NHL teams, but our media has again just been calling for heads to roll all year.  

Tony Gallagher?