The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Speaks

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Let me answer your question with a question

As a fan why do you think you deserve to voice an opinion, 

As a fan we only have to judge the on Ice product not how it got there or how much Eriksson is making. 

We judge to see if we want to watch. Or even buy a ticket.

What  is a fan?  A fan of sport is no more than a viewer of a product. Some thing we want to consume. with our time or money or both.

So I ask why do you deserve to voice your opinion on a salary cap you have no business with or Crapping on the players. A real fan cheers that is what a fan does. So what are we now. If we are not Fans? 

The worse thing that ever happen to Hockey was a salary cap. It was always there but when it was put into the CBA it turn good fans against the players 

Hate to break this to you. If there wasn't a salary cap this League would have collapsed. The Salary Cap and limits on contract terms are evils of the owners and GM's making.

Owners and GM's have egos, these measures were put into place to curb those egos. By levelling the playing field it means Winnipeg can complete with the New York Rangers. Now pre-cap days we were lucky that Toronto and New York didn't always use that unlimited spending to good use. GM's make mistakes on their signings even in the cap world. Even if there was no salary cap. People would still be complaining about Eriksson for the same thing. Lack of production, and motivation. It just adds salt to the wound he's paid $6 million a season. The last thing the league needs is to be like Premier League or MLB, where it's the haves and the have nots. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hate to break this to you. If there wasn't a salary cap this League would have collapsed. The Salary Cap and limits on contract terms are evils of the owners and GM's making.

Owners and GM's have egos, these measures were put into place to curb those egos. By levelling the playing field it means Winnipeg can complete with the New York Rangers. Now pre-cap days we were lucky that Toronto and New York didn't always use that unlimited spending to good use. GM's make mistakes on their signings even in the cap world. Even if there was no salary cap. People would still be complaining about Eriksson for the same thing. Lack of production, and motivation. It just adds salt to the wound he's paid $6 million a season. The last thing the league needs is to be like Premier League or MLB, where it's the haves and the have nots. 

Absolutely hate the salary cap system. The only thing worse is the NO salary cap system.

• Cheers 1

I don't know, on one hand I totally see KB's point of view, I don't think players ever give less than their best, or at least best of the moment. Sure there are guys who don't meet the fans expectations, but I think that is part of life. (Not everybody will....including your kids, best friend and wife). Even our favorite whipping boy LE should be included in that, but IMO, I think that is pretty normal, and I don't see a problem with the fans voicing their opinion on that.

I was questioned on that very thing yesterday, and I believe that the hockey club solicits that from the fans to some degree, and wants them to be invested, having opinions, etc. I believe a invested fan is a money spending fan, and an indifferent fan, is out at the park when the Canucks are playing Tampa Bay, because he thinks the Canucks will get blown out..............invested fans are at the game, or glued to the TV or radio, in their Canuck jersey, call Loui a bum, as he coughs up the puck or stops a breakaway, coming down the wing.

I think media is all part of that, and although they may have their own agenda's (Don't we all), it is all part of the bigger entertainment picture, as they stir up controversy, and debate. Sure Deb is upset with the journalist that wants Horvat traded, but someone else agrees. Who is right? Well, both are! Deb fights harder for her player, and the other guy says, the player is not his guy and would never have drafted him. Well, sure, the guys out to lunch, but that is his right.

I think it is all to sell what ever they are selling, and is part of the overall reality. Don't read or watch the guy if you do not like his opinions, but just like Eklund the gossip creator, he has a large following all groaning and all tuning in.....that is the reality.

What KB, does not see, is that it is part of his sports reality, and players benefit from that immensely, and he is now part of it, sometimes sitting beside a personality that has given a opinion, that he may disagree with.

I think it is just part of the game (big picture).........love it or leave it

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, apollo said:

It doesn't have to. You can make the choice

You can chose not to buy it. Why would u? If you see something negative don't read it. It's a waste of your energy. Trust me life is much better when you chose to ignore propaganda 

If you see propaganda don't consume it and most importantly don't share or spread it. 

Bless you all dear Canucks nation =) 

"Location: Lord Benning Cathedral"

I'll be sure to be careful. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know, on one hand I totally see KB's point of view, I don't think players ever give less than their best, or at least best of the moment. Sure there are guys who don't meet the fans expectations, but I think that is part of life. (Not everybody will....including you kids, best friend and wife). Even our favorite whipping boy LE should be included in that, but IMO, I think that is pretty normal, and I don't see a problem with the fans voicing their opinion on that.

I was questioned on that very thing yesterday, and I believe that the hockey club solicits that from the fans to some degree, and wants them to be invested, having opinions, etc. I believe a invested fan is a money spending fan, and an indifferent fan, is out at the park when the Canucks are playing Tampa Bay, because he thinks the Canucks will get blown out..............invested fans are at the game, or glue to the TV or radio, in their Canuck jersey, call Loui a bum, as he coughs up the puck or stops a breakaway, coming down the wing.

I think media is all part of that, and although they may have their own agenda's (Don't we all), it is all part of the bigger entertainment picture, as they stir up controversy, and debate. Sure Deb is upset with the journalist that wants Horvat traded, but someone else agrees. Who is right? Well, both are! Deb fights harder for her player, and the other guy says, the player is not his guy and would never have drafted him. Well, sure, the guys out to lunch, but that is his right.

I think it is all to sell what ever they are selling, and is part of the overall reality. Don't read or watch the guy if you do not like his opinions, but just like Eklund the gossip creator, he has a large following all groaning and all tuning in.....that is the reality.

What KB, does not see, is that it is part of his sports reality, and players benefit from that immensely, and he is now part of it, sometimes sitting beside a personality that has given a opinion, that he may disagree with.

I think it is just part of the game (big picture).........love it or leave it

Exactly. The game doesn’t die when fans are ecstatic or irate. It dies when they don’t care.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

How many times does this toxic so called member of the media get his “sources” and takes wrong? Here are a few examples of how much $€!+ this parasite spews out of his muppet mouth. I am personally sick of these transplant media folk (mostly from out east) who have no loyalties to the team or city and just want to stir shhh up to get clicks and sell papers. Go back to Ottawa Matt and report on your hometown Sens and stop acting like you live in Cali Canada on kits point you stuck up POS. Sorry Deb, this hack takes the cake.

721E5249-893A-43C1-BA15-4ED2E35AFAFB.png

1006BEBA-645E-4113-9971-2BAF34E9183B.jpeg

7AD4E3FF-BA0E-42F4-8B79-423C3876045A.jpeg

EC989092-58E4-4E7B-A206-0910EBD5CFC7.jpeg

Your honour, with brilliant testimony and evidence by EP Phone Home. The defence rests. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

It goes both ways on here. Take the Gaudette/Highmore trade as an example and watch what happens in the next while. Every time that Gaudette scores or has a good game there will be a group of JB haters who will gleefully report it here to push the “DimJim” narrative. There will be just as many JB supporters who will actively root for Gaudette’s to b a complete bust as if to prove that JB is a genius.

Be nice to see Guadette and Highmore find their niche to be honest. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

How many times does this toxic so called member of the media get his “sources” and takes wrong? Here are a few examples of how much $€!+ this parasite spews out of his muppet mouth. I am personally sick of these transplant media folk (mostly from out east) who have no loyalties to the team or city and just want to stir shhh up to get clicks and sell papers. Go back to Ottawa Matt and report on your hometown Sens and stop acting like you live in Cali Canada on kits point you stuck up POS. Sorry Deb, this hack takes the cake.

721E5249-893A-43C1-BA15-4ED2E35AFAFB.png

1006BEBA-645E-4113-9971-2BAF34E9183B.jpeg

7AD4E3FF-BA0E-42F4-8B79-423C3876045A.jpeg

EC989092-58E4-4E7B-A206-0910EBD5CFC7.jpeg

And then it goes from there and we end up with 50 page threads about garbage first spread by these hacks 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sure Deb is upset with the journalist that wants Horvat traded, but someone else agrees. Who is right? Well, both are! Deb fights harder for her player, and the other guy says, the player is not his guy and would never have drafted him. Well, sure, the guys out to lunch, but that is his right.

Have to take issue with this. Everyone may be entitled to their opinion, but that does not make all opinions of equal value.

An informed opinion will always be 'worth' more than an uninformed opinion.

And on topic, fans would do well to remember to ingest their media with a heavy dose of skepticism and very much viewed through the lens of people who are desperately promoting any sort of controversy, drama, melodrama, hyperbole etc in a bid to stay relevant and get a pay cheque. The days of news of any sort simply being informative are sadly, long gone. They've been replaced by news as entertainment. If you fail to account for that, your being dooped.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Be nice to see Guadette and Highmore find their niche to be honest. 

From my perspective as a somewhat of a JB supporter I can’t  imagine actively rooting for a young man to be a failure in his career so I can say “see how smart JB is.” That’s just sad.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Have to take issue with this. Everyone may be entitled to their opinion, but that does not make all opinions of equal value.

An informed opinion will always be 'worth' more than an uninformed opinion.

And on topic, fans would do well to remember to ingest their media with a heavy dose of skepticism and very much viewed through the lens of people who are desperately promoting any sort of controversy, drama, melodrama, hyperbole etc in a bid to stay relevant and get a pay cheque. The days of news of any sort simply being informative are sadly, long gone. They've been replaced by news as entertainment. If you fail to account for that, your being dooped.

I call it junk news, just as bad and useless as junk mail. But people still click and read and believe. 

We have all the worlds knowledge and information accessible by internet yet most don’t read further past the point of view that best suites them. Never mind the counter point, that’s too much work. Not when you can be right all the time and show me a bunch of studies and things you’ve found online to support your belief...when there is just as much proof and evidence to provide a solid counter point to anything anyone has an opinion on...where does the truth lie anymore? This is where our media nowadays likes to lurk and spin their stories.

You are right, it’s best to know you’re being toyed with from the beginning. Truth in media is dead. It’s about what sells. And it sickens me.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I call it junk news, just as bad and useless as junk mail. But people still click and read and believe. 

We have all the worlds knowledge and information accessible by internet yet most don’t read further past the point of view that best suites them. Never mind the counter point, that’s too much work. Not when you can be right all the time and show me a bunch of studies and things you’ve found online to support your belief...when there is just as much proof and evidence to provide a solid counter point to anything anyone has an opinion on...where does the truth lie anymore? This is where our media nowadays likes to lurk and spin their stories.

You are right, it’s best to know you’re being toyed with from the beginning. Truth in media is dead. It’s about what sells. And it sickens me.

You are 100 % correct.   And the responsibility is upon all of us to seek truth and cut off BS sources.  Thats the only way that stuff will die out. As long as they have viewers/readers they will continue . 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

You are 100 % correct.   And the responsibility is upon all of us to seek truth and cut off BS sources.  Thats the only way that stuff will die out. As long as they have viewers/readers they will continue . 

Unfortunately that is the only truth in all of it now...as Agent said, media=entertainment now, they just out right push their own agendas now too. Because hey, it all effin sells, so keep truckin. 

I still get caught up in things, it’s so hard to tell where the truth lies. But still try my best to keep level headed and find the truth in between it all. Just hard to see thru all the muddy water lol

• Cheers 1