The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Speaks

Rate this topic

I stopped giving people like Thomas Drance my time and I have more enjoyment for the game. The way media in this market try to make themselves the star is so obnoxious. He was practically felating himself on his podcast about the fact that he was the only one in Rogers to see Gaudette leave from practice. Like this is what these guys live for and nobody is faster to pat them on the back than themselves. 

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, smokes said:

I blame the media for the Canucks losing the SCF against Boston. Too much negative coverage.

I'm still convinced that Rotten Ronnie using HNIC as a platform to slander Burrows is part of what led to the NHL openly rigging that series.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

For those that missed it, Kevin Bieksa was on the Halford & Brough show this morning and gave a very compelling interview.  I highly recommend listening to the full thing: 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/kevin-bieksa-edlers-major-media-covering-canucks-return-play/ 

Fast forward to 7:50 in...  

- Media in Vancouver is pretty entitled, in reference to not being allowed to look at two practices coming off Covid.  

- "If you're not gonna get it right, then don't report it" in reference to false reports about Quinn Hughes needing IVs. 

- Intent media coverage in Vancouver and Canadian markets is definitely a factor and hurts the team's performance.  When playing in Anaheim they would talk to reporters once in a blue moon and it was much easier to get out of slumps without being crucified in the media.  

- Mentions being on a 10 game winning streak and coming home to read the news  "Steve Bernier hasn't scored in 15 games"

- There were "bully" reporters that players had asked to not be allowed in the room as they would constantly create negative controversies and find one player and pick on them.  

Just a little food for thought because after spending 25 years of following the Canucks, it almost becomes normalized to constantly hear negative stories about our team.  I'll never forget watching the 2011 Finals and seeing our very own Vancouver media taking Luongo's comments about Tim Thomas and turning them into a circus.  

We're currently in the middle of the weirdest season in memory and Canucks have had the worst schedule out of all 31 NHL teams, but our media has again just been calling for heads to roll all year.  

Pretty sure those idiots paid for that Banner just to have a story I wish we didn’t have so many of those goofs covering our favourite team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Only way I find out about 99% of their idiocy is on CDC.

People re post their nonsense here and I'm dumbfounded people actually consume and agree with it :blink:

I've been guilty of that...I'm becoming much more selective lately.  I know some don't have Twitter and so that was part of it.  But screw them.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

For those that missed it, Kevin Bieksa was on the Halford & Brough show this morning and gave a very compelling interview.  I highly recommend listening to the full thing: 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/kevin-bieksa-edlers-major-media-covering-canucks-return-play/ 

Fast forward to 7:50 in...  

- Media in Vancouver is pretty entitled, in reference to not being allowed to look at two practices coming off Covid.  

- "If you're not gonna get it right, then don't report it" in reference to false reports about Quinn Hughes needing IVs. 

- Intent media coverage in Vancouver and Canadian markets is definitely a factor and hurts the team's performance.  When playing in Anaheim they would talk to reporters once in a blue moon and it was much easier to get out of slumps without being crucified in the media.  

- Mentions being on a 10 game winning streak and coming home to read the news  "Steve Bernier hasn't scored in 15 games"

- There were "bully" reporters that players had asked to not be allowed in the room as they would constantly create negative controversies and find one player and pick on them.  

Just a little food for thought because after spending 25 years of following the Canucks, it almost becomes normalized to constantly hear negative stories about our team.  I'll never forget watching the 2011 Finals and seeing our very own Vancouver media taking Luongo's comments about Tim Thomas and turning them into a circus.  

We're currently in the middle of the weirdest season in memory and Canucks have had the worst schedule out of all 31 NHL teams, but our media has again just been calling for heads to roll all year.  

This Forum with some of the posters here are no better

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

Torts best friend?

Yes.  Larry.

After the Bertuzzi incident (LOVE to hear the real story behind that from someone who knows it) he put out a bunch of false crap.  100% fabricated.

I love this book.  Everything I like about Burke came shining through and now I just love the guy.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, that's their job.  They get paid for it.

Yes they get paid to create controversy and sell what they are saying 

What is the Fans excuse, The way I see it, it is mob mentality  The Media here acts stupid and stupid follows stupid

JB is called Dim Benning. This is not maturity 

Eriksson signing was a bad signing but that is only in hindsight. And people crap on Eriksson for this. I get it, it is disappointing but come on people it is also a game

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Like 1

Spoiler

From the book:

"Vancouver is kind of a strange, split-personality hockey market.  There was a lot of negativity in the media directed towards the Canucks.  But there was also a great fan base that loved Pat and wanted the team to do well.

....The media guys in Vancouver were vicious, led by two guys (Tiger Al Davidson & Tony Gallagher).  They took horrible shots at the team all the time.

Gallagher didn't like me, and I had no interest in him liking me.  We had some legendary feuds over the years."

The story goes on to tell how the media used to have parking spots RIGHT next to the door but the team paid for them.  So when Burke found out...they moved their spots way out to the back forty and they took the spots for themselves.   :towel:

Some here still want to read the book so I won't ruin it for them.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:
  Hide contents

Vancouver is kind of a strange, split-personality hockey market.  There was a lot of negativity in the media directed towards the Canucks.  But there was also a great fan base that loved Pat and wanted the team to do well.

....The media guys in Vancouver were vicious, led by two guys (Tiger Al Davidson & Tony Gallagher).  They took horrible shots at the team all the time.

Gallagher didn't like me, and I had no interest in him liking me.  We had some legendary feuds over the years.

The story goes on to tell how the media used to have parking spots RIGHT next to the door but the team paid for them.  So when Burke found out...they moved their spots way out to the back forty and they took the spots for themselves.  

Some here still want to read the book so I won't ruin it for them.

It is their job and negativity sells

Heck elections are won because of it, and if not then anti someone wins elections. I do not fault the Media for doing there jobs. I fault the fans for not understanding it is their job. And for the most part these people probably have great respect for the players but it is their job to sell what they are saying or writing 

• Cheers 1

The Media judge based on hindsight on what others do. That's right what others do. They judge for pure entertainment reasons. These people are not journalists. Anyone game doesn't mean anything. A Bad streak stops getting talked about once it is broken and goes on to mean nothing once the next news cycle starts.

Eriksson get crapped on but as soon as his contract is up. The Media wont write another story about him and the media forgets. But the fans 10 years from now some one will write or say something like remember when Eriksson crap the bed with the Canucks or JB signed that piece of shi*t Eriksson. It will be said in Negativity or even worse hate. They will have had their mind messed with just consider the hate Messier gets on this forum. 

The Media was doing their job but the fan got messed up

Edited by Arrow 1983

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Really though, good on Juice. The provincial coverage of the Canucks has been toxic as long as I can remember, to the point where it often feels like the media lackeys would sooner cheer for the opposing team so they'd have something juicy to right about than see the Canucks win.

It's embarrassing. 

Exactly!  You can see that reflected even amongst our fans.  I'm not talking about the ones that are on team tank, I'm talking about the ones that want us to lose so that their narrative of Fire Benning or Fire Green feels justified/vindicated.  

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

It doesn't have to. You can make the choice

You can chose not to buy it. Why would u? If you see something negative don't read it. It's a waste of your energy. Trust me life is much better when you chose to ignore propaganda 

If you see propaganda don't consume it and most importantly don't share or spread it. 

Bless you all dear Canucks nation =) 

I agree 

I listen to the radio it is for entertainment but I never dislike a player or GM because of it. For me it is for a laugh