The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wasn't it Thomas Gradin?  

Regardless, who cares which specific scout mentioned him, they all work under Benning and Benning gives them clear instructions on what traits they value and how to put their reports together and look at all of them as an entirety.  

People that hate Jim Benning are grasping at straws if they're trying to undermine his drafting. 

Benning himself credited Delorme for being the first to push for Pettersson.

Trolls like timrafan can’t accept that Benning and Delorme can do something positive for the team so they stamp their feet and plug their ears anytime you mention this. 

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wasn't it Thomas Gradin?  

Regardless, who cares which specific scout mentioned him, they all work under Benning and Benning gives them clear instructions on what traits they value and how to put their reports together and look at all of them as an entirety.  

People that hate Jim Benning are grasping at straws if they're trying to undermine his drafting. 

Leave it to the negative Nancy media in this town to micromanage information to suit their agenda. The histrionics of little eastern fanboys in our media market is enough to make you barf. That's what I love about Bieksa, he doesn't have to suck up to any eastern big wigs to keep a primo spot. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trolls like timrafan can’t accept that Benning and Delorme can do something positive for the team so they stamp their feet and plug their ears anytime you mention this. 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4d6fb329-789b-4721-9013-bd84c676ebf3

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tas said:

Goodness me, Inge was long before Delorme dispatced anyone. 
As I said, Inge knew about Petey probably 2-3 years before Delorme got the message. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Can you provide evidence of anyone knowing of Petey before Inge got information from his buddies in Timrå?

Please, find info that Delorme knew about a young guy not on any radar beside trainers in Timrå.

3 hours ago, tas said:

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Benning himself credited Delorme for being the first to push for Pettersson.

Benning gave credit for Delmore because he pushed to get them to look deeper into the guy, but he wasn't the scout who pushed Delmore to look at EP in the first place.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Inge did the footwork already in season 14-15. 
Delorme got the message, by his own words in your article, season 16-17. At least two season after Inge started to map Petey

Edited by Timråfan
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

THN did an article on EP during his rookie season.   His first front page deal.  I have it somewhere but am too lazy to look it up (they have the info though if your curious and want to learn more).   It wasn't Delmore.   Can't remember his name maybe it was Gradin, but someone connected to our organization in the past,  called the Canucks and told them to come check this kid out.   Where he was from is off radar.   He didn't grow up with trainers and extra skills coaching.   But he did have unlimited ice time because of his fathers job.    THN compared him to Guy Lafleuer.   As in he was remote, relatively completely unknown and 100% self taught.   That plus his size THN determined as the two main reasons he flew under the radar.    If he grew up in Canada or even the US, he'd have been talked about a lot more a lot earlier.   

JB knows this, as does Delmore.  

Edited by IBatch

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

All the article says is Ronny (Delmore) saw him early on.   Not to be a dick about this,  because i think your one of the most level headed posters on this site, and Timra fan loves LE but not so much JB ... on this point he's correct.   THN did their homework and got the correct history on how this came into fruition.   The province says we saw him "70 of 90 times"  it wasn't Delmore watching those games.   It was I think Gradin or someone connected to our organization in the past who clued us into him.   Without that key link, well we'd probably have Glass. 

One more question to the Fire Benning crowd:  Where is this top level GM that has experience, connections to the old boys' club (you need that otherwise you won't be making any deals), AND is unemployed right now.  

I'll wait... 

29 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Can you provide evidence of anyone knowing of Petey before Inge got information from his buddies in Timrå?

Please, find info that Delorme knew about a young guy not on any radar beside trainers in Timrå.

Timra fan you are right.   I'm backing you up 100% on this one.   I'm not a fan of history being rewritten for anything hockey related.   For anyone who's interested, a very well written story about EPs "discovery" was done his rookie season.   Don't remember the issue number but do remember he was on the front page and they did five pages or so on him.   At the time he was lighting it up like nobody else since Crosby came in.   Lead the league in PGP at one point.   Best part of the article for me, was how they compared him to Guy Laflauer because he was remote and not on anyone's radar early. And how like Guy he brought things to the league that nobody really does, he's unique because he's self taught.  Who gets drafted, and decides their are 21 things to work on with their shot.  And then goes out and goes over each aspect until they are satisfied.    Aliens.   Why he got the moniker.   He's unique, and IMO the most special talent we've had since Bure.  Another alien.   I mean who skates with parachutes? 

Edit:  I am a fan of hockey history, just not a fan of it being changed.   Easy to do with so much misinformation.   Just because JB gave Delmore the credit, doesn't mean he discovered him, because he wasn't the guy to do it.   He got lucky in a way, and JB agreed once he got the data too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

One more question to the Fire Benning crowd:  Where is this top level GM that has experience, connections to the old boys' club (you need that otherwise you won't be making any deals), AND is unemployed right now.  

I'll wait... 

He's around his name is:t-rex jesus GIF

Just glad the Scouts got it right and agreed after following him

LOS ANGELES. Everyone around the table were sitting on needles. Would several years work be wasted? All the travel, the scouting reports, interviews and meetings. All the money the Vancouver Canucks had spent researching the best players ahead of the 2017 NHL draft to get the diamond they thought they had found. Elias Pettersson.

Elias Pettersson has had tremendous success in the Vancouver Canucks this fall. He is considered the team’s key player for the future, a so-called franchise player.
Sport Expressen has tracked how the NHL team worked to secure that they would land the talented Swede when they were the fifth team to pick in the first round of the 2017 draft.
Vancouver had during the last year ahead of the draft in Chicago in June focused on just one player, that they thought could become the new marquee name on the team after the twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin. That talent was Elias Pettersson from Ånge, who had had great success in Hockeyallsvenskan for Timrå.
“But we had had close eyes on him since he was 16. We had followed him on the junior national team at the Hlinka tournament, the 4 nations, 5 nations and the J18 and J20 junior world championships. We early on gave Elias Pettersson the Priority Watch stamp. Which means that it is a talent we follow with particular interest,” says Judd Brackett, who has the title Director of Amateur Scouting at the Vancouver Canucks.

Inge Hammarström scouted Elias Pettersson

Brackett refers to Inge Hammarström as Vancouver’s boots on the ground in Sweden for tracking Elias’s development.
“Just like any other NHL team we need a local presence in different European countries to monitor the talents they develop. Then the rest of us travelled to Sweden occasionally to watch Elias and listen to Inge’s reports on how he was coming along.”
The hottest players ahead of the draft gather every May in Buffalo for tests and interviews during what has become known as “The Combine”. This takes place one month before the draft and is meant to allow the NHL teams to get a better picture of who they think may be a good fit for their team in the years to come.
The Canucks managed to convince Elias to fly from Buffalo to Vancouver directly after that, to get a chance to get to know him better. To not reveal to the competition that he was their first hand choice, they also invited another handful of players to come to Vancouver. A classic diversion move to not raise suspiscions.
“We wanted Elias to visit us in Vancouver, so that we could talk some more with him and find out what his thoughts were on different matters. During the Combine in Buffalo every team gets like 15 minutes with the players and then you’re like ten people sitting in a hotel suite interviewing the guys. It can be hard to get a good picture of who they are and what kind of person they are off ice,” Judd Brackett says.

The top picks of the 2017 NHL draft

A few weeks later the plan they had worked on for so long would come into fruition. And this would take place at the Chicago Blackhawks’ home arena, United Center, where the 2017 draft took place.
It was nerve recking for the the Canucks’ scouts and team management when the moment they had long waited for arrived. The moment which they hoped would let them have the winning ticket.
They did not have their destiny in their own hands as they were the fifth team to pick in the first round of the draft.
The talk ahead of the draft was mainly centering around the Canadian Nolan Patrick and the Swiss Nico Hischier. The Devils surprised everyone by picking Hischier ahead of Patrick, who only minutes later was drafted by Philadelphia. After that, things were less certain.
The rumour had it that Dallas were looking for a d-man, as they already had a great set of forwards, and it turned out to be true, as they picked Finnish Miro Heiskanen.
Three teams had now picked their players and it was time for Foppa’s old team Colorado to reveal who they wanted at number four.

Vancouver relieved over Colorado’s choice

The great draft drama was reaching its climax for the Canucks’ draft responsible Judd Bracket and their Sweden scout Inge Hammarström. They had no idea what the Avalanche were going to do. Did they have the same keen eye for Elias Pettersson as Vancouver? Did they see the same potential? The winner mentality? No one knew.
“During the years leading up to the 2017 draft I had run into lots of scouts in Timrå and other places in Sweden and abroad when Elias played. It’s hard to know what the others are thinking. Nobody shows their cards. That’s how this business works,” Inge Hammarström says.
Judd Brackett agrees.
“The hardest thing in this line of work is to keep your poker face during the draft up till the moment it’s your time to pick.”
Colorado picked… Cale Makar.
And Vancouver could walk up on stage and call out Elias Pettersson’s name fifteen minutes later.
“We could not get up on that podium fast enough,” Brackett laughs as he recalls that day.
It was a moment of huge relief for everyone on the team’s scouting unit, from the director Judd Brackett to Thomas Gradin and Inge Hammarström plus all the others that had travelled from the head office in Canada to Sweden and various international tournaments where Pettersson had played.
The final say rested with GM Jim Benning.
He trusted his scouts, among whom Inge Hammarström was the one who had seen Elias the most during the two to three years leading up to the draft.
“It was really nerve recking, but fortune was with us and the pieces fell into place. It was a wonderful feeling. For me, it felt like I had lost a rucksack of bricks when I congratulated our general manager, Jim Benning,” Inge Hammarström recounts.

Elias Pettersson’s strengths

Lasse Lindgren is the Canucks’ pro scout in Sweden, and as such he is not normally tasked with rating young amateur players, but when a team picks as early as fifth, you want to use all experienced eyes available.
“Sure, I wrote a few reports on Elias. In this situation NHL teams use cross-over scouts. It was easy to see what a fantastic game sense he has and the same goes for his winner instinct. And then when we had drafted him and he chose to stay in Sweden for a year with Växjö in the SHL, we thought that he might tire when they reached the playoffs after a long season, but he just found an extra gear and did things I haven’t seen many players be able to do,” Lasse Lindgren says.
Today you hear similar comments from TV commentators and hockey experts in the NHL.
And the Vancouver Canucks management feel convinced that all the work invested over several years in following Elias has paid off.
“He still surprises me every day. Elias is so focused and has an inner strength that allows him to reach the goals he sets for himself,” Judd Brackett says.
Was there any doubt during this process that Elias should be your first choice?
“No, but it is a long and gruelling process. We did a number of mock drafts, where we tried to predict how the four teams picking ahead of us were thinking and what players they would choose,” Judd Brackett says.
What will Elias Pettersson mean for Vancouver?
“A lot. Everyone sees how good he is, but we who have gotten to know him as a person also like his humanity and his leadership abilities.”
Inge Hammarström participated in his last draft as a scout for the Vancouver Canucks before retiring.
“Of course it feels special to have been allowed to follow Elias this closely for several years. I’ve been to countless training sessions when he played in Timrå. Sometimes just sitting back and admiring his passes.
How did you convince your bosses that Pettersson was the best choice?
“I tried to say early on that Elias was the most talented player in the entire draft class that year, because in my eyes he clearly was. But you need a lot of luck to manage to land a draft choice like this when you don’t pick first. I feel immense pride in our success,” Inge Hammarström says.

Gunnar Nordström

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/n ... -fa-elias/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Yes your correct.   

kind of sounds like a nice team effort to me. Early scouts let Delorme know, he dispatches other guys, etc, etc. Not sure why there has to be "one" guy 100% responsible for it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Just glad the Scouts got it right and agreed after following him

LOS ANGELES. Everyone around the table were sitting on needles. Would several years work be wasted? All the travel, the scouting reports, interviews and meetings. All the money the Vancouver Canucks had spent researching the best players ahead of the 2017 NHL draft to get the diamond they thought they had found. Elias Pettersson.

Elias Pettersson has had tremendous success in the Vancouver Canucks this fall. He is considered the team’s key player for the future, a so-called franchise player.
Sport Expressen has tracked how the NHL team worked to secure that they would land the talented Swede when they were the fifth team to pick in the first round of the 2017 draft.
Vancouver had during the last year ahead of the draft in Chicago in June focused on just one player, that they thought could become the new marquee name on the team after the twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin. That talent was Elias Pettersson from Ånge, who had had great success in Hockeyallsvenskan for Timrå.
“But we had had close eyes on him since he was 16. We had followed him on the junior national team at the Hlinka tournament, the 4 nations, 5 nations and the J18 and J20 junior world championships. We early on gave Elias Pettersson the Priority Watch stamp. Which means that it is a talent we follow with particular interest,” says Judd Brackett, who has the title Director of Amateur Scouting at the Vancouver Canucks.

Inge Hammarström scouted Elias Pettersson

Brackett refers to Inge Hammarström as Vancouver’s boots on the ground in Sweden for tracking Elias’s development.
“Just like any other NHL team we need a local presence in different European countries to monitor the talents they develop. Then the rest of us travelled to Sweden occasionally to watch Elias and listen to Inge’s reports on how he was coming along.”
The hottest players ahead of the draft gather every May in Buffalo for tests and interviews during what has become known as “The Combine”. This takes place one month before the draft and is meant to allow the NHL teams to get a better picture of who they think may be a good fit for their team in the years to come.
The Canucks managed to convince Elias to fly from Buffalo to Vancouver directly after that, to get a chance to get to know him better. To not reveal to the competition that he was their first hand choice, they also invited another handful of players to come to Vancouver. A classic diversion move to not raise suspiscions.
“We wanted Elias to visit us in Vancouver, so that we could talk some more with him and find out what his thoughts were on different matters. During the Combine in Buffalo every team gets like 15 minutes with the players and then you’re like ten people sitting in a hotel suite interviewing the guys. It can be hard to get a good picture of who they are and what kind of person they are off ice,” Judd Brackett says.

The top picks of the 2017 NHL draft

A few weeks later the plan they had worked on for so long would come into fruition. And this would take place at the Chicago Blackhawks’ home arena, United Center, where the 2017 draft took place.
It was nerve recking for the the Canucks’ scouts and team management when the moment they had long waited for arrived. The moment which they hoped would let them have the winning ticket.
They did not have their destiny in their own hands as they were the fifth team to pick in the first round of the draft.
The talk ahead of the draft was mainly centering around the Canadian Nolan Patrick and the Swiss Nico Hischier. The Devils surprised everyone by picking Hischier ahead of Patrick, who only minutes later was drafted by Philadelphia. After that, things were less certain.
The rumour had it that Dallas were looking for a d-man, as they already had a great set of forwards, and it turned out to be true, as they picked Finnish Miro Heiskanen.
Three teams had now picked their players and it was time for Foppa’s old team Colorado to reveal who they wanted at number four.

Vancouver relieved over Colorado’s choice

The great draft drama was reaching its climax for the Canucks’ draft responsible Judd Bracket and their Sweden scout Inge Hammarström. They had no idea what the Avalanche were going to do. Did they have the same keen eye for Elias Pettersson as Vancouver? Did they see the same potential? The winner mentality? No one knew.
“During the years leading up to the 2017 draft I had run into lots of scouts in Timrå and other places in Sweden and abroad when Elias played. It’s hard to know what the others are thinking. Nobody shows their cards. That’s how this business works,” Inge Hammarström says.
Judd Brackett agrees.
“The hardest thing in this line of work is to keep your poker face during the draft up till the moment it’s your time to pick.”
Colorado picked… Cale Makar.
And Vancouver could walk up on stage and call out Elias Pettersson’s name fifteen minutes later.
“We could not get up on that podium fast enough,” Brackett laughs as he recalls that day.
It was a moment of huge relief for everyone on the team’s scouting unit, from the director Judd Brackett to Thomas Gradin and Inge Hammarström plus all the others that had travelled from the head office in Canada to Sweden and various international tournaments where Pettersson had played.
The final say rested with GM Jim Benning.
He trusted his scouts, among whom Inge Hammarström was the one who had seen Elias the most during the two to three years leading up to the draft.
“It was really nerve recking, but fortune was with us and the pieces fell into place. It was a wonderful feeling. For me, it felt like I had lost a rucksack of bricks when I congratulated our general manager, Jim Benning,” Inge Hammarström recounts.

Elias Pettersson’s strengths

Lasse Lindgren is the Canucks’ pro scout in Sweden, and as such he is not normally tasked with rating young amateur players, but when a team picks as early as fifth, you want to use all experienced eyes available.
“Sure, I wrote a few reports on Elias. In this situation NHL teams use cross-over scouts. It was easy to see what a fantastic game sense he has and the same goes for his winner instinct. And then when we had drafted him and he chose to stay in Sweden for a year with Växjö in the SHL, we thought that he might tire when they reached the playoffs after a long season, but he just found an extra gear and did things I haven’t seen many players be able to do,” Lasse Lindgren says.
Today you hear similar comments from TV commentators and hockey experts in the NHL.
And the Vancouver Canucks management feel convinced that all the work invested over several years in following Elias has paid off.
“He still surprises me every day. Elias is so focused and has an inner strength that allows him to reach the goals he sets for himself,” Judd Brackett says.
Was there any doubt during this process that Elias should be your first choice?
“No, but it is a long and gruelling process. We did a number of mock drafts, where we tried to predict how the four teams picking ahead of us were thinking and what players they would choose,” Judd Brackett says.
What will Elias Pettersson mean for Vancouver?
“A lot. Everyone sees how good he is, but we who have gotten to know him as a person also like his humanity and his leadership abilities.”
Inge Hammarström participated in his last draft as a scout for the Vancouver Canucks before retiring.
“Of course it feels special to have been allowed to follow Elias this closely for several years. I’ve been to countless training sessions when he played in Timrå. Sometimes just sitting back and admiring his passes.
How did you convince your bosses that Pettersson was the best choice?
“I tried to say early on that Elias was the most talented player in the entire draft class that year, because in my eyes he clearly was. But you need a lot of luck to manage to land a draft choice like this when you don’t pick first. I feel immense pride in our success,” Inge Hammarström says.

Gunnar Nordström

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/n ... -fa-elias/

Thanks.   I couldn't remember his name. But do remember reading about it and his Igne had being following him for quite awhile.   Just be glad we had him in our network or we wouldn't have him at all.   Another accidentally on purpose moment for JB not so happy crowd. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All the article says is Ronny (Delmore) saw him early on.   Not to be a dick about this,  because i think your one of the most level headed posters on this site, and Timra fan loves LE but not so much JB ... on this point he's correct.   THN did their homework and got the correct history on how this came into fruition.   The province says we saw him "70 of 90 times"  it wasn't Delmore watching those games.   It was I think Gradin or someone connected to our organization in the past who clued us into him.   Without that key link, well we'd probably have Glass. 

Not saying Delorme was the first, he was the one who really pushed for him, and Benning agreed as did the rest of the staff. It was a unanimous decision to pick Pettersson, not the pushing of Hammerstrom and Brackett as Timrafan trumpets. 

And if we're talking early people who scouted and noticed Pettersson, Markus Naslund then GM of Modo was one of his earliest supporters/scouts.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

kind of sounds like a nice team effort to me. Early scouts let Delorme know, he dispatches other guys, etc, etc. Not sure why there has to be "one" guy 100% responsible for it. 

It doesn't at all.   But do think it matters as to how it came to be, and that the person that made it happen in the first place deserves some recognition.   Delmore does for sure.  But no Igne no EP. 

• Cheers 3