The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

On 4/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, Tom Sestito said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/fire-benning-banner-takes-flight-canucks-fans-protest

The same fundraiser also raised $1250 for canucks for kids fund. $1450 went to towards the banner - basically like buying a 50/50 ticket.

In response to the reason for the banner, organizer Uncle Laleet said:

“We are only doing this because we love our team and we want a Stanley Cup,” said the fan who organized the protest, who goes by the name of “Uncle Laleet” on Twitter. “We just want someone who can bring this city what we have been craving for 50 years.”

yeah well there's lots of completely clueless fans out there OBVIOUSLY... same ones that follow our clueless sad excuse for media here too.. 

what a joke! lmao... 

Oh yeah.. let's sell the farm like we used to, then ice a wimp cream puff team that plays great in the regular season then gets pushed around and out of the playoffs.. that has been sooooo much fun to watch year after year!! WOOT!!! yeah let's do it again shall we? it'll be so much fun!!! 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Oh yeah.. let's sell the farm like we used to, then ice a wimp cream puff team that plays great in the regular season then gets pushed around and out of the playoffs.. that has been sooooo much fun to watch year after year!! WOOT!!! yeah let's do it again shall we? it'll be so much fun!!! 

Last year's playoffs was the most fun I've had watching our guys since 2011...

I shake my head at the ppl that want Benning gone... 

15 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

No, they are average at best and young and inexperienced.

Once they become experienced, they will probably become good, but they aren't that now. Good teams make the playoffs.

Isn't that what I just said? Young and inexperienced

On 4/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

One more question to the Fire Benning crowd:  Where is this top level GM that has experience, connections to the old boys' club (you need that otherwise you won't be making any deals), AND is unemployed right now.  

I'll wait... 

Not that I am advocating hiring him or not but Jim Rutherford basically epitomizes all of those qualities, has a solid record as a GM, and is unemployed and has said he wants to get back into a GM chair.

Aquilini would never hire him though. Because he likes doing things his way and is not really able to be browbeat into deviating from the plan with kneejerk interference in hockey ops by the owner.

But just putting it out there that good talented guys are available. One could even say that the next stage of the team needing to surround the core is right in Rutherfords wheelhouse.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • RoughGame 1

Firing Benning is non-sense by any stretch of imagination.  This season is not Benning's fault, it's just a crapshoot season with Covid-19 outbreak within the team.  They didn't have any full practice time or any recovery with horrible first half of schedule and Covid-19 has ruined this team. . I hope that next season will be much better with better schedule, I hope.  He made the right moves this past off-season.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Firing Benning is non-sense by any stretch of imagination.  This season is not Benning's fault, it's just a crapshoot season with Covid-19 outbreak within the team.  They didn't have any full practice time or any recovery with horrible first half of schedule and Covid-19 has ruined this team. . I hope that next season will be much better with better schedule, I hope.  He made the right moves this past off-season.  

Even before the outbreak the Canucks were underperforming and everything before the Covid outbreak we can't use Covid as an excuse of this season turned out. Last I checked every other GM is having to navigate around this season during a pandemic. So the challenges and issues each GM and team are similar. 

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

he made the right move this past off season by re-signing virtanen and offering a 2 year 4.5mil contract to holtby? other than the recent couple games you coulda easily signed a 1mil backup goalie and put up the same number and woulda have the space to fit in toffoli

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

That's true, 19-20 was an "up year" for sure.  I was really happy with how gutsy all our guys were in the playoffs but the truth is that we had no business pushing Vegas to 7.  

St Louis was a better team then us but I can't say that we didn't deserve to beat them.  We also beat Minny fair and square.  

Remember where you are..  most people here are media influenced, they can't seem to think for themselves or even know what's been going on for this team for the last 40 years or they would be happy the soft regular season team is pretty much gone but fans seem to want it back... 

Some, here though, are clued in and waiting for the last tweaks are done so we can get on with the push for Stanley and icing a really good team every year, not a f'g one trick pony like twice before and selling the farm to get it, but the fire Benning crew is too effing STUPID to get their heads around it.. smh

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, wai_lai416 said:

he made the right move this past off season by re-signing virtanen and offering a 2 year 4.5mil contract to holtby? other than the recent couple games you coulda easily signed a 1mil backup goalie and put up the same number and woulda have the space to fit in toffoli

have you forgotten about the Seattle draft? that's the reason.. Seattle takes either one and we're still fine, that was thinking, and add Pearson to that list.. by the time everything cap wise is par here again, we'll be fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

have you forgotten about the Seattle draft? that's the reason.. Seattle takes either one and we're still fine, that was thinking, and add Pearson to that list.. by the time everything cap wise is par here again, we'll be fine. 

So Seattle takes neither? Based on holtby trend the last 3 season nothing suggest he’s not on a rapid decline. Jake Allen is a far better choice. Pearson is gonna be protected lol. They had an agreement for not being exposed to the draft just not a no trade clause. Virtanen thing will drag on for a while. No way Seattle even think about him unless he’s cleared.

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Pearson is gonna be protected lol.

One reporter has commented on that so called "arrangement"

Remember that one reporter said Hughes was taking an I.V.. due to covid, 

that was directly refuted by the player himself.

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Jake Allen is a far better choice

No he isn't.

Allen is all of $1,425,000 cheaper next season, but is signed for an extra year.

Holtby has a better career save percentage, is a Vezina and Jennings trophy winner and was the number one guy in net for the cup victory.

Gotta say, sometimes reading this board is like reading the Youtube comments whenever a news publication uploads a COVID-related video.

It's really fascinating; it's both mind-boggling yet not surprising whatsoever at the same time.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

One reporter has commented on that so called "arrangement"

Remember that one reporter said Hughes was taking an I.V.. due to covid, 

that was directly refuted by the player himself.

No he isn't.

Allen is all of $1,425,000 cheaper next season, but is signed for an extra year.

Holtby has a better career save percentage, is a Vezina and Jennings trophy winner and was the number one guy in net for the cup victory.

so why would you sign a 4 year extension with the team if you know they have no intention of keeping you and are just gonna expose him to the expansion team? if that's the case he might as well just wait till free agency and dictate where he's going.. it's pretty obvious there's most likely some under the table handshake thing going on saying they won't expose him. 

lol Jake allen is way better than Holtby is at this stage of his career.. who cares what his career save % or what he won in the past? you going to take a declining goalie with a GAA over 3 the last 3 of 4 season and a sv% of around .900 just because he was good in his prime?

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so why would you sign a 4 year extension with the team

3 year.

One reason players sign cause they get money.

Gaurenteed money. Pearson could gamble he doesn't get a career ending injury between now and free agency, or he can sign now.

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if you know they have no intention of keeping you

How would he know who is getting exposed?

I doubt Jim or Francesco have figured out who gets exposed yet. They would have a really good idea, but things change quickly in life.

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

3 year.

One reason players sign cause they get money.

Gaurenteed money. Pearson could gamble he doesn't get a career ending injury between now and free agency, or he can sign now.

How would he know who is getting exposed?

I doubt Jim or Francesco have figured out who gets exposed yet. They would have a really good idea, but things change quickly in life.

if everyone cares about the guranteed money then i guess we would have all our rfa re-signed by now no?

lol i'm sure the team already have a pretty good idea who they are keeping

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So Seattle takes neither? Based on holtby trend the last 3 season nothing suggest he’s not on a rapid decline. Jake Allen is a far better choice. Pearson is gonna be protected lol. They had an agreement for not being exposed to the draft just not a no trade clause. Virtanen thing will drag on for a while. No way Seattle even think about him unless he’s cleared.

Pearson it not going to be protected...