The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Not saying Delorme was the first, he was the one who really pushed for him, and Benning agreed as did the rest of the staff. It was a unanimous decision to pick Pettersson, not the pushing of Hammerstrom and Brackett as Timrafan trumpets. 

And if we're talking early people who scouted and noticed Pettersson, Markus Naslund then GM of Modo was one of his earliest supporters/scouts.

I haven't read Naslund's name connected to EP once but i would sure like to.   

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

kind of sounds like a nice team effort to me. Early scouts let Delorme know, he dispatches other guys, etc, etc. Not sure why there has to be "one" guy 100% responsible for it. 

This. 

And it is so Benning detractors like Timrafan can undermine Benning by crediting Bracket/Hammerstrom and discredit the ones still here. 

The truth is it was genuinely a TEAM effort and not a lone wolf. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

All i will say is, THN i say that a lot i know and no i don't work for them lol.  I'm retired.  Did a informative article on how EP made Delmores radar.   It had zero to do with JB actual scouting network.  It had everything to do with our Canuck network.   Otherwise who knows what would of happened and who we would have drafted.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I mean if we're splitting hairs, it's actually been 6 years.  

Who cares how long it's been, if you've been a fan of the team you would've seen the progression.  

We just witnessed the fourth most successful Canucks playoffs EVER and people are panicking over a down year during the Covid-shortened season.  

F the squeaky wheel. 

Maybe it's not progression. You're pointing out the fact that this is a "down year", but maybe 19-20 was an "up year" where we went all-in just to make the playoffs once and then have a bunch of our team leave in free agency. That team had some very obvious flaws relating to its 5v5 gameplay and that wasn't likely to sustain itself going forward.

We were nowhere near as good as Vegas. The team might've technically gotten the fourth most successful playoff run, but that was based on Demko putting up an unrepeatable performance. Overreacting to single playoff runs puts you in a similar position to the 2017 Oilers or Senators.

Edited by Josepho
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Maybe it's not progression. You're pointing out the fact that this is a "down year", but maybe 19-20 was an "up year" where we went all-in just to make the playoffs once and then have a bunch of our team leave in free agency. That team had some very obvious flaws relating to its 5v5 gameplay and that wasn't likely to sustain itself going forward.

We were nowhere near as good as Vegas. The team might've technically gotten the fourth most successful playoff run, but that was based on Demko putting up an unrepeatable performance. Overreacting to single playoff runs puts you in a similar position to the 2017 Oilers or Senators.

That's true, 19-20 was an "up year" for sure.  I was really happy with how gutsy all our guys were in the playoffs but the truth is that we had no business pushing Vegas to 7.  

St Louis was a better team then us but I can't say that we didn't deserve to beat them.  We also beat Minny fair and square.  

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

35BABCBA-AA22-45CB-9EA9-B5577BFE4E5E.png

Ronny did love him.    But he didn't "discover" EP either.   He was asked on the phone, to come and take a look.   Naslund comments in this article also interesting.   I didn't know he was also talking to Delmore, and it doesn't say that he was either.   I do know that the clubs "discovery" had everything to do with that.    Credit to Delmore for sure to go get behind what he saw.    But the credit for "discovering him" is what grates me a little.   Because he didn't. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ronny did love him.    But he didn't "discover" EP either.   He was asked on the phone, to come and take a look.   Naslund comments in this article also interesting.   I didn't know he was also talking to Delmore, and it doesn't say that he was either.   I do know that the clubs "discovery" had everything to do with that.    Credit to Delmore for sure to go get behind what he saw.    But the credit for "discovering him" is what grates me a little.   Because he didn't. 

I’ve never credited him or anyone with discovering him. I have just argued against it being Hammerstrom and Brackett. It was very clearly a unanimous team effort to go with him regardless of who actually discovered him. 

The need some here have to undermine anything this regime does grates me. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's true, 19-20 was an "up year" for sure.  I was really happy with how gutsy all our guys were in the playoffs but the truth is that we had no business pushing Vegas to 7.  

St Louis was a better team then us but I can't say that we didn't deserve to beat them.  We also beat Minny fair and square.  

Yep.  Exactly how i feel.  Also given MIN was a top five defensive team last year that was an achievement in itself, and would have been satisfied with a 4-5 game loss.    Don't think St. louis was much better either.  Maybe a little yes but that's it.   Vegas took the cake for sure.   Shows why a veteran team carries the mail and they sure did.  No "bubble Demko" no game six.   And also JM was also amazing for us.   We have two windows.  One that opening after next season and the cap re-charges, and the main window when our core is 26-32.  Horvat and maybe Miller can be part of both windows.    Said this many times.   JB says we are two years away from something .. i'd say that's good enough. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’ve never credited him or anyone with discovering him. I have just argued against it being Hammerstrom and Brackett. It was very clearly a unanimous team effort to go with him regardless of who actually discovered him. 

lol well i'm just distressed at others that have so sorry if i got you in the cross fire.  I'd agree to that statement every time. 

Edit: I went back a ways into the thread, but not far enough my bad 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Also i didn't see this as an undermining. If I did i wouldn't have responded.  Maybe three times i've tried (and done haven't done a great job)  of trying to explain how our older network clued is into EP,  whom is for sure a great find.   And ended up arguing with someone over who discovered him so saw a few posts and figured without looking into it that it was the same thing again.   Timra fan is a self proclaimed Swede and also has been the biggest LE supporter since we have drafted him.   But also says JB should leave 75 million of cap space open and is a failure for not doing so.   Don't know what to do with that one.   On this one thing, and it's a tiny thing really, he's got it right.   Delmore could have watched him (and he's one tough SOB) and decided meh he's too small, too easy to knock off the puck, not worth our time.   He didn't.   So absolutely he deserves some props too.  

I made an ass of u and me for assume  ing, right away without going back enough thread pages, that this had to do with who discovered EP.   It for sure wasn't Delmore.   But your 100% correct in your statement.   

This is the first team we've had since Linden's early days, that i'm that excited about playoff time again.   I had FU goggles on during the WCE era so didn't really appreciate it enough.  Because why ruin a team on their prime which is exactly what happened.   And those uniforms and Messier...ugh.    The Sedins were great players but never amped it up in the post season.   EP, QHs, Horvat and even BB who didn't score much..they showed a ton of promise.   I love this team.   JB is the second GM in our history, that has his stamp on virtually the entire team.   Elder is the remaining guy.  And hope he re-signs, because the 2011 run was also a happy time. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

This. 

And it is so Benning detractors luke Timrafan can undermine Benning by crediting Bracket/Hammerstrom and discredit the ones still here. 

The truth is it was genuinely a TEAM effort and not a lone wolf. 

It could be why Jim was annoyed at the reports of Brackett being a draft whisperer, when it really does take a lot of peoples time and views to focus in on a player at an early age. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

This team is good just young and inexperienced

No, they are average at best and young and inexperienced.

Once they become experienced, they will probably become good, but they aren't that now. Good teams make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

No, they are average at best and young and inexperienced.

Once they become experienced, they will probably become good, but they aren't that now. Good teams make the playoffs.

They aren’t even particularly young. 

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Overall, true, but their 3 star/core players (Pettersson / Hughes / Demko) likely have another gear.

Absolutely. I won’t ever argue against the Canucks being well positioned specifically in the “who are your top f d g?” rankings moving forward. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Timra fan you are right.   I'm backing you up 100% on this one.   I'm not a fan of history being rewritten for anything hockey related.   For anyone who's interested, a very well written story about EPs "discovery" was done his rookie season.   Don't remember the issue number but do remember he was on the front page and they did five pages or so on him.   At the time he was lighting it up like nobody else since Crosby came in.   Lead the league in PGP at one point.   Best part of the article for me, was how they compared him to Guy Laflauer because he was remote and not on anyone's radar early. And how like Guy he brought things to the league that nobody really does, he's unique because he's self taught.  Who gets drafted, and decides their are 21 things to work on with their shot.  And then goes out and goes over each aspect until they are satisfied.    Aliens.   Why he got the moniker.   He's unique, and IMO the most special talent we've had since Bure.  Another alien.   I mean who skates with parachutes? 

Edit:  I am a fan of hockey history, just not a fan of it being changed.   Easy to do with so much misinformation.   Just because JB gave Delmore the credit, doesn't mean he discovered him, because he wasn't the guy to do it.   He got lucky in a way, and JB agreed once he got the data too. 

We have a different view on Benning and I suppose some of it is due to culture.

I read economy with marketing/advertising before and I like leaders that are honest and shield everyone under. 
For me it gives the organisation the best chances of success. 

Beside that, nice answer. 

50 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

This team is good just young and inexperienced

Our two most key, young players aren't remotely in their primes yet (and one's been injured most of the season). And a bunch have yet to even arrive and/or have very little experience at this level (Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc).

This is why I laugh at the sentiment that team is supposedly being 'held back' because Sutter and Beagle are overpaid a million each :lol: This team isn't truly ready to compete until those two main guys are in their primes and a lot of those other guys have a lot more miles under their skates. The only two kids truly ready to 'contend' at this point are really Horvat and Boeser (and Boeser only just this season IMO). An extra couple million isn't changing any of that.

Eriksson and his $6m nonsense on the other hand.... Even if that cap space wouldn't suddenly make this young group a 'contender' already, it would sure be nice to have kicking around instead of him...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Q: One more question to the Fire Benning crowd:  Where is this top level GM that has experience, connections to the old boys' club (you need that otherwise you won't be making any deals), AND is unemployed right now.  

I'll wait... 

A: image.jpeg.104d820547ca7b8d2d4406f265107196.jpeg  OR     Dawasaru Cartoon Wile E Coyote Acme Rocket Car Sticker Waterproof Decal  Motorcycle Auto Decoration Accessories PVC,13cm*8cm|Car Stickers| -  AliExpress

Edited by RU SERIOUS