The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

32 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

What are the chances of the Nucks getting Connor Beddard......sigh....one can dream

I would say 2 more years of pain and still a 1 in a million chance 

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

Funny how these guys only think backwards, think what the greats of the past could do with today’s tech, knowledge and training 

I'm only one dude..

I have heard some top athletes say the same. Gretz, GSP off the top of my head.

If a player from the past was reborn today, sure I hear your point but that is not possible. 

Its an impossible discussion to really have but in all aspects of human achievements, we are progressing. 

Again, hockey has changed it's rules so much that its hard to judge this specific sport.  

Maybe achievements in the skills comps it can be tracked and compared...will/are players getting faster, better stick work, harder shot...

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes that was the last year hockey was fun before the dead puck era.. great hockey 4 years in early 90s. 

Thats when the European stars started coming over and dominate. They were in amazing physical condition with superior skill and power.  Thats when the dead puck era was brought in. Hooking clutching holding grabbing interference were all allowed....

We had to send ppl to Europe to learn their training methods and come back apply them to our kids to develop their skills.. took 10 plus years to get caught up before opening up the game to speed and skill again.. 

I hear you but personally I think dead puck era was due to expansion as much as anything.  The influx of Iron curtain European stars helped to stem the watering down of the top end of line-ups but the growth of the league in the latter half of the 90s really spread talent thin and bottom end of line ups were filled with AHL level players.  The subsequent defensive system were as much to do with that than anything.  The expansion drafts of those years were nothing like what the NHL gave Vegas and now Seattle 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm only one dude..

I have heard some top athletes say the same. Gretz, GSP off the top of my head.

If a player from the past was reborn today, sure I hear your point but that is not possible. 

Its an impossible discussion to really have but in all aspects of human achievements, we are progressing. 

Again, hockey has changed it's rules so much that its hard to judge this specific sport.  

Maybe achievements in the skills comps it can be tracked and compared...will/are players getting faster, better stick work, harder shot...

test them out with nhl 21..... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

Lol,I was not alive back then, just curious.  I watched these guys play and they were all great goalies and they’d be great goalies today.  There were a fair number of starters  with great sv% that year.

Did you look at the north save% most are pretty bad this year relative to the modern norm and below the top #1 goalies of 00-01

WPG starter: .915

TO starting duo: .909

VAN starting duo: .907

MTL staring duo: .905

CGY starter: .904

OTT starting duo: 0.888

00-01

20 goalies with 39+ games at >= 0.905

13 goalies with 39+ games at >= 0.910

7 goalies with 39+ games at >= 0.920

So in the context of your argument I would say Mario faced similar or better  goaltending than Conner this year without having to actually resort to the fact that I’ve experienced both eras and can tell you those guys were just as lights out as what we see today and arguably more so because they filled significantly less net and still achieved crazy numbers 

your comparing apples to oranges here, and that comes from a guy that gets called out for cherry picking.

let me show you how to really cherry pick.

LONG READ TL DR: when comparing era to era lemiuex faced easier competition and mcdavid is facing better goalies now than the rest of the league and from 2000-2001

for gp i choose 10 min because I want to include the backup for both era's.

2020-2021

above .930 3

above .920 11

above .910 28

above .905 39

2000-2001

above .930 0

above .920 8

above .910 18

above. 905 27

as someone who also watched hockey back in the day of 20 years ago, i'm really suprised you forgot that the east let the most goals in by a huge margin 9% more actually

and the division pittsburgh played in let in on average 1% more goals than the rest of the conference or in other words 10% more than the west. (NI PITT)

considering the games played goes like 6x4 for your division and 10*4 conference and 1 about game vs the west. Lemieux had the easy life.

and heres the numbers for 2020-2021 

Central 1228

North    1244 north has 2.5% harder time scoring than the east and about 1.5% easier than the central and north combined

West     1221

East      1276

and the north (NI EDM) faces about 7% more shots than the rest of the league. so it seems that the goalies are indeed better than the rest of the league, they just cant stop mcdavid.         

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The Detroit-Colorado battles were some of the best hockey I've ever seen though.

Ohh for sure. Stacked teams. That was the best rivalry in hockey. Great hockey. I loved Detroit. Used to cheer for them vs Colorado.. 

Forsberg was a beast of a player. Too bad his messed up ankle shortened his career. He was pure joy to watch play hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Im liking tonight's lineup. 

Lind Graovak Rathbone all 3 in the lineup. 

Nice to see kids get some games in, get some experience and be prepared to come in earn a spot on the roster next season. 

• Vintage 1

Spring cleaning today.  Organizing stuff and I came across my "notes" from the 2017 prospect game.  I was jotting down the guys who stood out to me....probably should be hiring me as a scout any day now.

image.thumb.png.1eca6decdd53e8faf4032147

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My good friend's a big Wings fan...she toured the Joe before it was torn down.

They've always been a team I've liked.   Stevie Y was a favourite of mine and I could never hate that team.

Stevie Y is one of the all time great Captains ever.

Never forget that series when he was so badly injured he could barely skate but still was instrumental in winning the Cup.

• Like 2