The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign edler or not?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Sign Edler for one more year or not sign  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Comes down to priorities for me - do they draft someone this year who can contribute? Or do they need to fill a spot at forward?

JB most certainly has to look long and hard at drafting a quality center - other than BoHo/EP we have virtually no 'natural' quality centers in the entire system. 

Unless we miraculously move way up in the draft and Power/Hughes are available then imo JB definitely takes a center. 

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Is Tryamkin no longer in the picture?

is there some new news that you're aware of - some source that has taken Tryamkin out of the team's future?

He signed a 2 yr deal with his KHL team and will become a Free Agent after its over

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I am all for Edler, he's the best defenceman this franchise has (and maybe will) ever seen, and was all for signing him previously but now we've got Rathbone playing well as well as Juolevi, it's hard to pick...

I would like to see Hamonic back for 2-3 years, 2-3M because we have no solution for the Hughes problem apart from Hamonic who seems to settle him down to an extent. Edler has been playing hard 20-22 minutes all season long and Green is yet to drop those minutes because he still plays them better than anyone else we have. He's reluctant to really rely on Juolevi and Rathbone is only getting a taste of the NHL just now so it's not going to be quite a smooth transition.

If we don't re-sign Edler, here's what we're looking at :

Hughes (21) - Hamonic (21)

Juolevi (18) - Myers (22)

Schmidt (22)  - Chatfield (16)

Rathbone

Chances are Rathbone moves up and someone plays on their off-side, with minutes above. If we do re-sign Edler we're looking at:

Edler (21) - Schmidt (20)

Hughes (20) - Hamonic (20)

Juolevi (18) - Myers (21)

Rathbone

Much nicer, more even split. I think eventually Edler will have to give some of those minutes away to our other guys but right now Green is still working him hard. Thing is that he plays big PK minutes for us.

On the whole it'd be nice to get him back for 1 season but we have to work Juolevi and Rathbone into the mix, and that's leaving Chatfield out completely.

The day the coach significantly reduces his time on ice , is probably the indicator that his time is up. I do not see who is going to replace him in our system.

So yes, sign him up until you have a replacement, one that can actually move bodies out from the front of our goalie

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Is Tryamkin no longer in the picture?

is there some new news that you're aware of - some source that has taken Tryamkin out of the team's future?

Because he re-signed with his Russian team for two more seasons and basically lied to Benning about his intentions and desire of returning to the Canucks?

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Because he re-signed with his Russian team for two more seasons and basically lied to Benning about his intentions and desire of returning to the Canucks?

There is no actual evidence proving this.

Diamond was clear for months Tryamkin wanted to return to the Canucks. No reason to believe he was lying.

Diamond said they presented a 1 year and 2 year deal. Benning said publicly that he was willing to do it. Diamond then said Bennings counter offer was actually significantly lower unless Tryamkin would wait until Benning could move out cap.

Tryamkin, having waited last season only to see Benning unable to move cap and having to sign a 1 year deal, was not comfortable waiting again and signed a 2 year deal for security.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There is no actual evidence proving this.

Diamond was clear for months Tryamkin wanted to return to the Canucks. No reason to believe he was lying.

Diamond said they presented a 1 year and 2 year deal. Benning said publicly that he was willing to do it. Diamond then said Bennings counter offer was actually significantly lower unless Tryamkin would wait until Benning could move out cap.

Tryamkin, having waited last season only to see Benning unable to move cap and having to sign a 1 year deal, was not comfortable waiting again and signed a 2 year deal for security.

How's this for evidence:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/defenceman-nikita-tryamkin-signs-two-year-extension-stay-khl/

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/05/nikita-tryamkin-signs-two-year-extension-to-stay-in-khl.html

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tryamkin-not-returning-to-canucks-re-signs-in-russia

I can dig up about 10 more that carried the story as well if it helps. Sucks, but he's gone.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I'd sign Edler to a cheap deal.  Max 1yr x $2M.

Not a realistic amount, and he's still a top 4 defense on at least 90% of the teams in the NHL.

I believe that he would accept something in the 2.5 - 3.5 range, and for what he does and provides in leadership, he's worth it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

How do any of those prove he lied to Benning about wanting to come back to the Canucks?

The second one pretty much says exactly what I posted.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not a realistic amount, and he's still a top 4 defense on at least 90% of the teams in the NHL.

I believe that he would accept something in the 2.5 - 3.5 range, and for what he does and provides in leadership, he's worth it.

Nope, not worth it at this stage.

I highly doubt he is still a top 4 quality dman on almost every nhl team. Maybe some of the bottom feeding ones, but certainly not on a true contender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How do any of those prove he lied to Benning about wanting to come back to the Canucks?

The second one pretty much says exactly what I posted.

Misread your post, as far as I'm aware, he expressed desire to return, and he did hold out a long time last year, waiting for the Canucks to clear space, but you are correct, there is nothing that proves that he specifically misrepresented his intentions or lied to the Canucks about it. 

It wasn't my original post about it though either.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nope, not worth it at this stage.

I highly doubt he is still a top 4 quality dman on almost every nhl team. Maybe some of the bottom feeding ones, but certainly not on a true contender.

Considering the roles he's handed, I would say his stats say otherwise.

However, you don't have to agree with me on that, but I think most fans believe that somewhere in that range on a 1 year deal, 2.5 - 3.5 million is far on both sides.

He still books more minutes on penalty kill than any other defenseman on the Canucks and our PK is definitely not as good when he's not on the ice.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Considering the roles he's handed, I would say his stats say otherwise.

However, you don't have to agree with me on that, but I think most fans believe that somewhere in that range on a 1 year deal, 2.5 - 3.5 million is far on both sides.

It is probably fair, just not a good use of the Canucks cap at this point. The path foreard for the Canucks, imo, is to start playing significantly more with the puck and get stuck defending far less.

Juolevi, Rathbone, and Hughes on the left side with Hamonic, Schmidt, and Myers is undoubtedly going to help. 

Its not i think Edler is crappy. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It is probably fair, just not a good use of the Canucks cap at this point. The path foreard for the Canucks, imo, is to start playing significantly more with the puck and get stuck defending far less.

Juolevi, Rathbone, and Hughes on the left side with Hamonic, Schmidt, and Myers is undoubtedly going to help. 

He's not relied upon for offense much anymore, he plays more PK minutes than any of our other D, and you want him there, teaching Juolevi, how to properly do that role, for another year, if he still feels like he has another year in the tank. The only reason we didn't sign him for 3 last time was so that we wouldn't have to protect him in the Expansion draft.

Who knows though, he may get to the end of this season and decide that he's had enough and is ready to retire.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He's not relied upon for offense much anymore, he plays more PK minutes than any of our other D, and you want him there, teaching Juolevi, how to properly do that role, for another year, if he still feels like he has another year in the tank. The only reason we didn't sign him for 3 last time was so that we wouldn't have to protect him in the Expansion draft.

Who knows though, he may get to the end of this season and decide that he's had enough and is ready to retire.

I guess for me I see effective PKing in the nhl now as having more ability to pressure and recover. Edler is a good pker but his mobility and skating are pretty painful to watch now. Any further regression and its a huge issue.

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If he was doing a good job i wouldnt have a problem with it but the fact is he isnt doing a good job. Maybe it will be better having someone quicker thats able to get to the puck and get it out of the zone better. Not like edler uses his big size for anything 

let us know when the team finds someone to take over, maybe edvinsson.

55 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

i agree with you partly but i still don't think there is any top pairing defensemen on that list, yet. who can munch the minutes edler does. we all agree, eddie has slowed down and is nearing the end but who is going to replace him? maybe a guy like edvinsson. i hope they find someone and let edler retire gracefully.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i agree with you partly but i still don't think there is any top pairing defensemen on that list, yet. who can munch the minutes edler does. we all agree, eddie has slowed down and is nearing the end but who is going to replace him? maybe a guy like edvinsson. i hope they find someone and let edler retire gracefully.

I think its as good a time as any to see who can step up and be that guy.

Honestly, I think Schmidt has been and can be a far more integral piece offensively and defensively than he has been. I also think Myers can be too.

And, its a small sample size but I really like both Juolevi and Rathbone. I think both can take on some respobsibility next year.

I love Edler but its time imo.