The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Will Lockwood

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Would love to see some Gadjovich and Lockwood given some looks here.

Also wondering why Lukas Jasek continues to get overlooked, he has had a very good season 2nd on the team in scoring behind Sam Anas.

I think honestly they just don't have ANY great centermen down there and Jasek is their 1C right now. I think he's doing a pretty good job at it to. I don't think it's hurting him being the guy in Utica either. We take him off the team they're gonna have to ask one of the spare goalies to play center or something haha

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuktravella said:

hes our property and signed to a elc 

True, but he’s a really good player, who (with opportunity) will do well enough to deserve a second or third contract that we might not be able to pay him.  I see Lockwood as a bottom six guy for us, but he might be a second line guy on a different team in a few years, and get more money that way.  

Plus, Seattle could definitely take him in expansion.

Lockwood is a player I’ve been very high on since we drafted him.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but he’s a really good player, who (with opportunity) will do well enough to deserve a second or third contract that we might not be able to pay him.  I see Lockwood as a bottom six guy for us, but he might be a second line guy on a different team in a few years, and get more money that way.  

I was excited when we drafted him.  At the time, he was the first Benning pick that had quickness, some skill, lots of effort and grit.  His development was slowed due to a couple shoulder dislocations.  As a result, he has to change his game a little to save his body which included getting bigger and stronger.  I see another Motte in Lockwood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I was excited when we drafted him.  At the time, he was the first Benning pick that had quickness, some skill, lots of effort and grit.  His development was slowed due to a couple shoulder dislocations.  As a result, he has to change his game a little to save his body which included getting bigger and stronger.  I see another Motte in Lockwood.

Good points.  If Seattle doesn’t take Lockwood, then he’s a fixture (like Motte and Highmore) in our bottom six next season.  Fast, aggressive, some skill.  Lots of energy and accept their role.  

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I hope it's a situation of the Canucks largely knowing what they have, giving him lots of minutes and usage in Utica and perhaps a little 'hiding' him from Seattle?

Could also be a bit to them so far only calling up kids to play wing (easier position) and relying on more veteran (if 'journeymen') guys so far at C.

I think that’s a big part of it. With both Pettersson and Beagle out, as well as some weakness throughout the whole forward group, it’s not the ideal time to audition an NHL rookie down the middle. Or, at least, it hasn’t been, as Green has continued to approach the games as “must wins” and competing for the playoffs (which maybe he’s only recently started to admit to himself are out of reach).

I’d imagine if we only had maybe one of Beagle or Sutter out, and otherwise we’re icing a full, healthy group of forwards , they might give Jasek a shot with a late season callup.

But he’s also playing a pretty critical role with Utica, so just a press box looksie would probably be a waste of time, and could really hurt the Comets, and destabilize their overall group, given the usage and minutes they’re getting out of Jasek.

I do worry a little that there’s some scouting bias happening, within the Canucks staff, and that they don’t really see the upside, despite Jasek showing so well in the AHL, and him bringing a host of what I see as very convertible tools, for an NHL bottom-six role.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Good points.  If Seattle doesn’t take Lockwood, then he’s a fixture (like Motte and Highmore) in our bottom six next season.  Fast, aggressive, some skill.  Lots of energy and accept their role.  

It is interesting to see where Bennings focus is these days.  Prioritizing speed, grit, high compete level with above average hockey IQ.  Seems size and skill are a little lower priority.  We'll see what Gadjovick's got to offer and if big Mack continues improving, then we have the size too.  I could also assume this is due to managements focus on the bottom 6.  I like it so far.  If this continues, this team will have enough free up cash to upgrade out right D and 3rd line center.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lockwood's not going anywhere. 1st year pro.  He's exempt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He is exempt from the expansion draft Alf.

EXEMPT AGE POS CAP HIT EXPIRY
Höglander, Nils 20 LW $891,667 RFA (2023)
Lockwood, William 22 RW $842,500 RFA (2022)
Focht, Carson 21 C $821,667 RFA (2023)
Michaelis, Marc 25 LW $700,000 RFA (2021)
Rathbone, Jack 21 LD $925,000 RFA (2022)
Hughes, Quinn 21 LD $916,667 RFA (2021)
Woo, Jett 20 RD $860,833 RFA (2023)
Eliot, Mitch 23 RD $822,500 RFA (2021)
Tryamkin, Nikita 26 LD $0 RFA (2017)
DiPietro, Michael 21 G $811,667 RFA (2022)
Silovs, Arturs 20 G $788,889 RFA (2023)
Kielly, Jake 24 G $700,000 RFA (2021)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having Lockwood in the system makes me question why we traded for Highmore. Kind of similar players.

Might have made more sense to trade Gaudette for someone that brings attributes we don’t currently have.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I hope it's a situation of the Canucks largely knowing what they have, giving him lots of minutes and usage in Utica and perhaps a little 'hiding' him from Seattle?

Could also be a bit to them so far only calling up kids to play wing (easier position) and relying on more veteran (if 'journeymen') guys so far at C.

They also only have 1 regular recall left.  They are only allowed 4 post TDL - Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone.  Graovac was up on emergency basis but MacEwen is available next game.  

Michaelis, MacEwen, Highmore, Boyd, Hawryluk, Vesey are roster players.  If they can play, they can’t use emergency recall and sit one. Unless further injuries they might have to already choose between Gadjovich and Lockwood for that final recall.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Having Lockwood in the system makes me question why we traded for Highmore. Kind of similar players.

Might have made more sense to trade Gaudette for someone that brings attributes we don’t currently have.

I think there's room and probably should be at least two if these types of players on the bottom 6.  All of Highmore, Motte and/or  Lockwood could complete a very effective bottom 6.  

10 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I think there's room and probably should be at least two if these types of players on the bottom 6.  All of Highmore, Motte and/or  Lockwood could complete a very effective bottom 6.  

Too small though that’s the problem.

I know Motte has the heart of a lion but it doesn’t change the fact he’s undersized. We need more size in the bottom 6 to compete with likes of Vegas and Colorado.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think at the time Gaudette was traded, Lockwood was still finding his way at the AHL level, had only scored something like 3 points in 13 games, and was looking like he needed some time to adjust. Since then, I believe he’s scored 8 points in 11 games, and really started to look like he’s getting his confidence as a pro, and has settled in and started to transition his playing style to the higher level of competition.

But when the Canucks made the trade, I doubt they saw Lockwood as much of an option for the lineup, or even depth, at least for this season. He probably wasn’t even in the discussions, when they did their planning pre-deadline.

Also, I’d imagine with the injuries and the Covid-19 outbreak, Benning felt it was important to acquire some NHL journeymen and more proven depth/replacement level pros, just to have enough heathy bodies for the lineup.

He has made some questionable decisions, at times, when it comes to adding “age gap” type players, versus developing and transitioning prospects, but I think this year, it was mostly about having enough bodies, and also just taking a free look at guys who might help now, and might be short term, cheap fixes for lineup holes, especially in the bottom-six.

Also, Highmore was apparently a player they’ve had their eyes on and liked for some time, so I think they were happy he was available, and jumped at the chance to add him.

And it seems like, when it comes to their strategy and timing, they were just taking back whatever assets at they could get for moving Gaudette.

I still don’t like the Gaudette trade, and think we clearly lost that trade, on pure value, but I can understand management’s process behind acquiring Highmore, as well as their decision to move off of Gaudette.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

you dont understand the expansion rules hes in first pro yr hes not elligible to be taken by seattle and hes a rfa next contract with lil to no leverage  hes a cost controlled asset  til hes 27 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

you dont understand the expansion rules hes in first pro yr hes not elligible to be taken by seattle and hes a rfa next contract with lil to no leverage  hes a cost controlled asset  til hes 27 

That’s good to know, thanks!  It will be nice to have his speed and aggressive play in our lineup.  Lockwood, Motte, and Highmore will do well in our bottom six, and PK.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It was the PR department that traded AG, JB was just the trigger man - imo.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

They also only have 1 regular recall left.  They are only allowed 4 post TDL - Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone.  Graovac was up on emergency basis but MacEwen is available next game.  

Michaelis, MacEwen, Highmore, Boyd, Hawryluk, Vesey are roster players.  If they can play, they can’t use emergency recall and sit one. Unless further injuries they might have to already choose between Gadjovich and Lockwood for that final recall.  

Michaelis is garbage, not gonna lie. No reason he should be on the roster at all let alone playing. Boyd and Vesey could go and I would not shed a single tear.