The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks end of season player media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

My dream was to watch a competitive Vancouver Canucks hockey team after being sold on the retool 7 years ago.

Dreams change, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

It would've been nice of management if they told us 7 years ago: "It's going to be rough and painful, but we have a plan that will get us back to the glory days (or VAN's version of glory days) within 10 years. We appreciate your support through this rebuild."

If they were just honest and up front - like Shanahan in TOR (sorry), then fine, we can wait. But it's been smoke and mirrors with giving us a taste of those '94 jerseys again, the Heritage uniforms, the cameos from some of the '94 players, putting someone in the RoH or retiring the Sedins jerseys etc. Courtnall is talking with ownership about who knows what, and now the Sedins.  I don't think they know what the heck they're doing. 

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I'd be okay with Edler getting 2.5, but that said, I would want it to be a bonus laden contract that gets him there, not just a flat 2.5 million.

Sutter, I would probably happily take back on a 1 year deal for 1.75 million, again with some bonuses that bring him to that.

Sutter is inelligible for bonuses. Only ELCs and 35+ contracts can have performance bonuses.

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Unless he takes a super low cap hit. 

He's still an NHL player and better than most of our prospects

I'd have no issues with Sutter back at 3C.  When healthy he's one of the better 200 ft players on the roster.  But his caphit needs to reflect the reality of the roster structure.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd have no issues with Sutter back at 3C.  When healthy he's one of the better 200 ft players on the roster.  But his caphit needs to reflect the reality of the roster structure.

Yup. As long as there is no over payment and the contract term is not long

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

It would've been nice of management if they told us 7 years ago: "It's going to be rough and painful, but we have a plan that will get us back to the glory days (or VAN's version of glory days) within 10 years. We appreciate your support through this rebuild."

If they were just honest and up front - like Shanahan in TOR (sorry), then fine, we can wait. But it's been smoke and mirrors with giving us a taste of those '94 jerseys again, the Heritage uniforms, the cameos from some of the '94 players, putting someone in the RoH or retiring the Sedins jerseys etc. Courtnall is talking with ownership about who knows what, and now the Sedins.  I don't think they know what the heck they're doing. 

Yes.  Any bit of transparency and accountability would have been nice, and would still be appreciated 7 years on.

Of course, the mgmt and ownership would rather lie, embellish, excuse, venture into gas-lighting, etc, than do any of that.  And can you blame them?  Look at some of the posters in here who think this team has done a good job since 2014.  They can, and continue, to get away with $&!#ty treatment of its customers.  Truly sickening stuff.

Boeser Petterson

Hog Miller Pod

Pearson Horvat 

Motte Beagle 

I think these players (not necessarily the lines) are set for next season. 

Buy out or trade Roussel

Bubble players who are RFA or under contract Lind, Gadj, Graovac, McEwan

2 of these 4 should be able to fill 2 empty spots on bottom 6.

We really needed toffoli on that top line lol. 

What a miss... Is there a bonafide top winger available in the next 2 years via UFA? 

We'll need to draft D this year so it'll be

(not these lines) 

Schmidt Myers

Hughes Rathbone

Juolevi

Sign Edler and Hamonic

That should be our 7 D we carry this year

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yes.  Any bit of transparency and accountability would have been nice, and would still be appreciated 7 years on.

Of course, the mgmt and ownership would rather lie, embellish, excuse, venture into gas-lighting, etc, than do any of that.  And can you blame them?  Look at some of the posters in here who think this team has done a good job since 2014.  They can, and continue, to get away with $&!#ty treatment of its customers.  Truly sickening stuff.

They certainly have much better young players than they did 2014, and the future should be bright, but Benning has kind of messed up the cap and overpaid aging veterans to surround and rush in the kids - and he'll sign more. They're still paying Spooner ffs lol   Well, I think they're finally done with that now. Benning's boy, I mean his 1st ever Draft pick is an accused sex offender, Ferland is collecting dust, Malhotra lost to TOR, Clark not signed - making our star goalie very unhappy, Tryamkin bolted and ended up chosing Russia over VAN, and then there's Loui :picard:

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Sutter needs to move on. The guy can’t stay healthy for the life of him. Enough is enough man. 

LOL. Im not advocating to keep him. 

Just saying he's better than our fringe bottom 6 prospects and if the money is low then it's not so far fetched

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser Petterson

Hog Miller Pod

Pearson Horvat 

Motte Beagle 

Buy out or trade Roussel

What a miss... Is there a bonafide top winger available in the next 2 years via UFA? 

(not these lines) 

Schmidt Myers

Hughes Rathbone

Juolevi

Sign Edler and Hamonic

There's not enough saving in cap to buy Roussel out, and there's not much trade value on him right now. I would give him a chance to show up next season and be the player that he was in the first year of his contract, before the knee injury. If he can't do it and can't outplay the other kids showing up, send him down to Abbotsford and let him ride out his contract there. The difference between doing that and a buyout is only about 350k.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

When healthy...

Like some others, I don't mind Sutter being back if I were to look at the team in a vacuum.  Sutter can still be a very useful player notwithstanding his frequent injuries.  The problem with bringing back Sutter is, as others have pointed out, dollars and term, but for me it's also the fact that the Canucks still have Jay Beagle under contract. 

Now, if Beagle is actually expected to be out all of next season, then I think that provides more rationale to bring back Sutter but even then, it would need to be at far less than the $4.375M cap hit he had this year.  Carl Soderberg, who had a 35-point season last year with the Coyotes in the last year of a $4.7M contract, received a $1M contract this year. Given this management group's history, my guess is that any final number would come in higher than that, but I think that Sutter's next contract should be far closer to Soderberg's than what he has had for the last few years.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser Petterson

Hog Miller Pod

Pearson Horvat 

Motte Beagle 

Buy out or trade Roussel

(not these lines) 

Schmidt Myers

Hughes Rathbone

Juolevi

Sign Edler and Hamonic

Petey, at this point, isn't a good enough cman to play there consistently.  He's a much better winger

• Cheers 1