The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The "league hates the Canucks" narrative is very overblown on cdc. The Canucks actually were one of the first teams to use that ir strategy under Gillis.

We definitely agree on this one!  It's one of the more pathetic ongoing storylines here

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I went even bigger.

Artemi Panarin 11,642,857 

58 pts 

Patrick Laine

Max Domi

Boone Jenner 

Nick Foligno

Scott Hartnell buyout dead cap

Alex Wennberg buyout dead cap

78 pts 

only 20 more points for double the money and loss of a superstar player not just a top 6 winger. 

Ya how about that bargain contract thing.

Oh, and Panarin WANTED to leave btw. Columbus wanted him to stay.

So the comparison is not similar at all. The team didnt decide to let him leave, he decided he was leaving no matter what.

Toffoli wanted to stay.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

You do know you can build a similar list of high dollar, Montreal players that don't score a lot as well? Right?

Yet further cherry picked information to suit a narrative and score cheap, Twitter-meme level 'points'.

None of this remotely constitutes honest debate or discussion in an attempt to arrive at a mutual, agreed upon 'truth' (which SHOULD be the goal of debate/discussion). 

...........well, I'd suggest contacting HNIC (French Language in Montreal and voicing your concerns...........(where that statistic came from)

Hope this assist you.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

First off quit putting words in my mouth. 

Second having a player like Kucherov to hide all year while adding to the roster would be quite a nice bump for the playoffs for any team. 

You have to be able to get Kucherov first though.

I dont blame the Lightning for skewering the cba. Its so poorly written and developed that it makes it easy on teams to circumvent the spirit of it.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The "league hates the Canucks" narrative is very overblown on cdc. The Canucks actually were one of the first teams to use that ir strategy under Gillis.

Name another team that's had a ref do a pregame lap/skate with a player to tell them how it is?

Name another team that's had the Bertuzzi book thrown at them?

Name another team that had a player suspended for batting a puck out of the air?

Name another team that's STILL being penalized for a player who hasn't played for them in 7 years?

Name another team that's had their star captain blindsided with a mid ice hit that concussed them (put them in hospital) and chipped their elbow but...no call on the play?

Tell me that if Myers did what Marchand does he'd get away with it?  Or...Roussell.  

Roger Nielsen wasn't a showboater...he was a quiet man.  When he took a stand it was for a reason....and that's never left us since.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Name another team that's had a ref do a pregame lap/skate with a player to tell them how it is?

Name another team that's had the Bertuzzi book thrown at them?

Name another team that had a player suspended for batting a puck out of the air?

Name another team that's STILL being penalized for a player who hasn't played for them in 7 years?

Name another team that's had their star captain blindsided with a mid ice hit that concussed them (put them in hospital) and chipped their elbow but...no call on the play?

- Refs do it more than you think.

- If the league didnt throw the book at Bertuzzi what exactly would games have looked like?

- There have been a ton of stupid suspensions and fines. DPS being an absolute tire fire is not Canucks soecific.

- The Canucks were warned about that contract at the time. They chose to go ahead with it. Then proceeded to so burn the bridge with the player that i dont blame him at all for sticking it to them by retiring.

- A lot of players have been injured on stuff where there was no call on the play. Again, refs being an absolute tire fire is not canucjs specific.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We traded our top two picks last year, and I can’t even remember the guy we got in the third.  But usually the later round picks are a few years away, and that’s if they make it at all.  But Pods is a for sure player.  Gads and Lind are close.  Lockwood is already a player.  Bone is a player.  Demko is too, and on goes the list.  The core is really good, and the younger support group (on ELCs) is coming. 

We drafted Joni Jurmo with our 3rd round pick, which was our first pick in the last draft. He is a Finnish 6'4 200lb LHD that is an incredibly smooth, quick skater. Needs another year or so in Liiga to work on his reads and develop some more strength around the crease but he projects to be a slightly more offensive version of Olli Määttä

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nobody is declaring anyone 'right' or 'wrong' on anything and everything. I'm speaking specifically about the competitive rebuilds, compared to other teams.

Blatantly ignoring actual information and timelines, to declare us comparatively 'behind' those teams as though the starting points (or team assets) were REMOTELY comparable is not honest debate. It's blatantly ignoring information to suit a biased narrative.

And no, cheap Twitter-meme level 'debate points' don't make you look 'right'.

:lol:  I was just going from what you wrote.....

"They're looking to be 'right', score cheap 'debate points' and echo chamber their narratives."

Who isn't looking to be right in an argument?

Calling a debate point won by someone else "cheap" is subjective.

And if its an echo chamber with only one conclusion left bouncing off the walls, maybe it has some credibility?

Just having some fun.  You are correct, no one is absolutely right or wrong.  Mostly because none of us actually know what has gone on behind closed doors with Canucks management. I could be way off base and overly harsh on JB, but that's my POV based on watching JB running the team the last 7 years. But I'm optimistic about the future and he gets a clean slate from me going forward.  Its a discussion board. And everyone, including you, use or ignore certain information to suit your own narrative.  We all do that.  Just like I did with your quote. ;) 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I went even bigger.

Artemi Panarin 11,642,857 

58 pts 

Patrick Laine

Max Domi

Boone Jenner 

Nick Foligno

Scott Hartnell buyout dead cap

Alex Wennberg buyout dead cap

78 pts 

only 20 more points for double the money and loss of a superstar player not just a top 6 winger. 

Can you do Buffalo next lol?  

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You have to be able to get Kucherov first though.

I dont blame the Lightning for skewering the cba. Its so poorly written and developed that it makes it easy on teams to circumvent the spirit of it.

What truly is circumventing is allowing teams to ice close to 100 in TB when they already have an unfair bargaining position for all contracts with the exception of soon to be four teams (Seattle also has no state or jock tax).   Come playoff time i mean of course. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

- Refs do it more than you think.

- If the league didnt throw the book at Bertuzzi what exactly would games have looked like?

- There have been a ton of stupid suspensions and fines. DPS being an absolute tire fire is not Canucks soecific.

- The Canucks were warned about that contract at the time. They chose to go ahead with it. Then proceeded to so burn the bridge with the player that i dont blame him at all for sticking it to them by retiring.

- A lot of players have been injured on stuff where there was no call on the play. Again, refs being an absolute tire fire is not canucjs specific.

1.  Nope. Specifics.  You tend to generalize when you don't have a response.

2.  The games look worse.  It did nothing that it was supposed to.

3.  Canucks get the worst of the tire fire burn. 

4.  So why is no one else ever on the radar?  Like using injuries to get around cap issues, etc.?

5.  Again...specifically  - a star player/captain?  My God, you can't look at McDavid without getting a penalty for batting your eyes too hard at him.  

Don't bother....I think this is a bit of a game here and I really DON'T have time for it.   

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

1.  Nope. Specifics.  You tend to generalize when you don't have a response.

2.  The games look worse.  It did nothing that it was supposed to.

3.  Canucks get the worst of the tire fire burn. 

4.  So why is no one else ever on the radar?  Like using injuries to get around cap issues, etc.?

5.  Again...specifically  - a star player/captain?  My God, you can't look at McDavid without getting a penalty for batting your eyes too hard at him.  

Don't bother....I think this is a bit of a game here and I really DON'T have time for it.   

None of that stuff shows a specific canucks only bias by the league though. It might show bias to some degree and incompetence but none of those things have been specifically and only targeted at the Canucks over the years.

Its not my job to provide proof to you that the endless whining and excuses people make on here are not based in reality.

I live and work in the pro sports world. Bias certainly exists. But its use here is a crutch because the team cant get over the hump on its own due to many factors.

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

None of that stuff shows a specific canucks only bias by the league though. It might show bias to some degree and incompetence but none of those things have been specifically and only targeted at the Canucks over the years.

Its not my job to provide proof to you that the endless whining and excuses people make on here are not based in reality.

I live and work in the pro sports world. Bias certainly exists. But its use here is a crutch because the team cant get over the hump on its own due to many factors.

I'm definitely on your side of this debate. I think the canucks fan persecution complex is kind of embarrassing -- there is no anti-canuck bias in the league. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not sure what you are questioning, is question mark referring that because of him having us remain at the bottom of the standings all these years that we got high draft picks like no other Canuck GM has been afforded that we  should be thankful for?

I do not think he ever intended us to be so bad all this time and stated so

I do hope last years high picks and this years high picks pan out for dividing the fans

Or you could be a five year old with heightened expectations. Anyone that follows sports regularly realizes this is nothing unless you're a whiny bitch. Which you are. 

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm definitely on your side of this debate. I think the canucks fan persecution complex is kind of embarrassing -- there is no anti-canuck bias in the league. 

It's hilariously dumb to think the Canucks are so important the whole world conspires to make us lose games they own in the first place. It's a short cut to thinking and explains why these people take the absurd positions they do on other topics and life in general. Oh, poor me! lol :lol: waaa waaa :frantic: lol ::D 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

What truly is circumventing is allowing teams to ice close to 100 in TB when they already have an unfair bargaining position for all contracts with the exception of soon to be four teams (Seattle also has no state or jock tax).   Come playoff time i mean of course. 

Easily solvable by changing it to some variation of the salary cap being in effect during the playoffs and changing the ltir loopholes.

• Cheers 1