The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You sure pay a lot of attention for someone not paying attention...

Saying that I wasn't going to bother watching the last few meaningless games =/= not paying attention to the state of the team

Hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I might have worded it wrong.

I wasnt saying he already has waited too long on those 2 signings. I was saying I dont want to see him wait until the 11th hour this offseason.

I think he absolutely has waited too long on Clark though tbh.

Okay, yeah I agree with this.

They should've dealt with Clark separately rather than waiting for Green then proceeding to his staff.

That said I'd attribute it more to ownership waiting to turn the taps back on, rather than Benning simply neglecting it, as seems like they've wanted the staff back all season.

Regardless I'm praying they can convince Clark to come back. 

How many Buyouts can Canucks do?

I think its only 1 maybe its 2. 

its good timing that the Canucks have Podkolzin , Hoglander and Rathbone. 3 solid players with cheap Rookie cap hits.

so now Canucks gotta keep shedding cap so they can make a move too get Righty Dman Seth Jones. Who would be a great fit. He a UFA next season so the Cap space is the biggest obstacle imo. You guys can debate what Canucks need too give to get him.

Go Canucks Go

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I might have worded it wrong.

I wasnt saying he already has waited too long on those 2 signings. I was saying I dont want to see him wait until the 11th hour this offseason.

I think he absolutely has waited too long on Clark though tbh.

It would probably be a slap in the face to Green if JB hired Clark before him.

Just saying. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I get the point you are going for, but you might wsnt to choose a different coach for your analogy. Clearly you dont know too much about what kind of person and coach Scotty Bowman is. He did not tolerate excuses and he demanded a lot.

He probably wouldnt have given the schedule a second thought as he couldnt control it. He would have just made adjustments with his lineup to minimize the impact.

And the team would have probably practiced a lot even with a terrible schedule lol.

Dare to dream. 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:05 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not as tied to squeaking into the playoffs every year as I am to building a truly competitive team that can compete consistently once they get there. If they make the playoffs, great. If not but they improve the team for the next year, thats fine too.

Honestly, no competitive team would have Tanner Pearson in their top 6. 

Give your head a shake. 

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

How much cap space will we have (estimate) once Petey and Hughes are signed?

Really depends how much they sign, who is bought out, and if Beagle is on LTIR.

But......they have 14M in cap space, and 7 roster spots to be filled (not including Beagle).

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The goal is to have him as a third liner, where he won the Cup as a King. 

Says who? He has been in the top 6 since he got here, was on the top pp most of the year, and was just re-signed to a 3 year deal at 2nd liner money in a flat cap world.

The plan for him with the Canucks is clearly to be a top 6 player. Just gotta hope he bounces back after his 3rd line offensive output this year.

• Vintage 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Says who? He has been in the top 6 since he got here, was on the top pp most of the year, and was just re-signed to a 3 year deal at 2nd liner money in a flat cap world.

The plan for him with the Canucks is clearly to be a top 6 player. Just gotta hope he bounces back after his 3rd line offensive output this year.

Place holder in the top six until the roster rounds out. 2nd liner money is what Bo makes... 

5 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I truly believe the short team goals lead to the long-term goals. I fully believe in what Benning is preaching, in theory. He wanted to give our kids all the recourses to simulate what a winning team looks like. Vets, kids, an entire team working together. I think it's a shame we haven't added more picks, and got value for our aging assets. I think that was a really missed opportunity by this management. But I still appreciate they brought those players in to teach our future core.

Things can sound good in theory and not work out nearly as well in practice. It actually happens all the time. Its why you dont plan assuming best case scenario being expected. In my view, that sums up Benning's tenure. His moves largely overestimate the competitiveness of his team and would only really look good if the best case scenario comes to pass, which it hasnt very often under Benning.

In a good plan, short term goals work together with and are constructed to keep the team moving incrementally toward the long term goals. Its a built in way to track progress really and ensure you are staying on the right path.

The trouble with making short term goals the main focus is you frequently sacrifice the long term goal by making moves to chase the short term one. Benning has been guilty of this a lot. 

The winning team (or even winning environment) argument holds no water. The team Benning has built does not simulate how a winning team is constructed and hasnt actually been competitive and hasnt won many games the vast majority of his time as GM.

Some veteran players to mentor youth is helpful. Not this many and not by overpaying so many of them either. The most overrated and antiquated idea in sports is that teams need a bunch of veteran players who cant contribute much on the ice anymore to show young players how to play. Young players are better equipped to handle things than they get credit for.

The last several years, the meagre on ice success they have had has been clearly driven by the young players, not the veterans. And that they rely heavily on goaltending to win games. Thats not sustainable though with the system they play defensively.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Things can sound good in theory and not work out nearly as well in practice. It actually happens all the time. Its why you dont plan assuming best case scenario being expected. In my view, that sums up Benning's tenure. His moves largely overestimate the competitiveness of his team and would only really look good if the best case scenario comes to pass, which it hasnt very often under Benning.

In a good plan, short term goals work together with and are constructed to keep the team moving incrementally toward the long term goals. Its a built in way to track progress really and ensure you are staying on the right path.

The trouble with making short term goals the main focus is you frequently sacrifice the long term goal by making moves to chase the short term one. Benning has been guilty of this a lot. 

The winning team (or even winning environment) argument holds no water. The team Benning has built does not simulate how a winning team is constructed and hasnt actually been competitive and hasnt won many games the vast majority of his time as GM.

Some veteran players to mentor youth is helpful. Not this many and not by overpaying so many of them either. The most overrated and antiquated idea in sports is that teams need a bunch of veteran players who cant contribute much on the ice anymore to show young players how to play. Young players are better equipped to handle things than they get credit for.

The last several years, the meagre on ice success they have had has been clearly driven by the young players, not the veterans. And that they rely heavily on goaltending to win games. Thats not sustainable though with the system they play defensively.

So the veterans have done exactly what they were brought in to do? They were brought in to help the young players be put into positions that would make them succeed. They've done just that. The only "problem" has been that our young players have surpassed where they should be at in their development. A large part of this is because of the veteran players taking the hard assignments and Green putting the younger players into those positions to succeed. We don't have any Mcdavids or Draisaitls to drag the entire team into the playoffs.

Are some of them overpaid? Yeah I don't think anyone will make a legit argument against that, but at the time they were signed, they were meant to come off the cap as our young players took their spots on the team. That is now happening, exactly as was planned all along. If Covid doesn't happen, Toffoli is kept as well. You can't seriously blame anyone for not foreseeing that happening.
Short term goals? I'd actually argue that Benning has done the opposite. He's had a long term goal set since the Sedins have retired. His draft choices will also support this. If he was going for short term goals, do you think he would've chosen the players that were deemed to take awhile to develop before they stepped in? Juolevi was meant to take a few years of development before being ready. Unfortunately he's had some unlucky injuries that have set this back even further. Petey? He was meant to take a few years, but had a huge development growth in his D+1 year and is way ahead of where he was supposed to be. Podkolzin? Everyone knew he was going to be staying in Russia for at least 2 years since he was signed to a contract there. If Benning truly wanted just short term success to save his job, he would not have chosen the players that were supposed to take the longest to develop and make the team.
The reason he signed the veteran players to come in and play isn't because he looked at "best case scenario". If that was his reasoning, then why would he need players to come in and take up roster spots. Every one of his draft picks would be having a Petey-like D+1 or D+2 development curve. He signed those players because he looked at the most realistic scenario happening, which was the younger players taking their time developing as they were supposed to. It's weird that apparently there was "no plan", yet these contracts are all finishing at the same time, within 2 years of each other. Maybe there was a plan after all, it just doesn't fit how you wanted the team to be run?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Do you have anything else to say? All I see is you regurgitate the same things over and over. I have already debunked a lot of that and yet you post the same things. If you keep saying it, it doesn't make it true. It just makes you annoying and irrelevant.

How do you debunk someone’s opinion on how a hockey team is run? Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean their opinion is worth any less than yours. He is not irrelevant. He is a fan of the team just like you are. Some of my most enjoyable exchanges are with people I don’t agree with. No reason you can’t respect them. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/21/2021 at 4:58 AM, tas said:

a little humility goes a long way. you don't know better than the professionalis. period. 

Niether do you and there are plenty of experts that agree JBs time was up.in fact most were more surprised at him being given a 11th life. 

I know because they think that they have no credibility and are hack Canuck haters.

Not many if any GMs get 7 seasons of being a lost directionless capped out bottom feeder.