The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the Leafs loss to the Habs, guys like Rick Dhaliwal,Thomas Drance, JD Burke, 650 Sportsnet, and HF Canucks have received VERY huge blows

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

After a re-read in ANY voice(thanks for that amusing initiative, Wayne Glensky)  I've come to a realization.

THIS is one of the most comprehensive, damning OP's I've enjoyed(schadenfreude a'plenty!) in CDC's inspired history.

@Patel BureA hearty thanks! is in order. I'd give your first post +100, if it were allowed.

The Fleas(& their obsequious, lackey media) really burn my bacon. The HABS did us all a wonderful favour!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread has reminded me that I dont listen to sports radio any more. I hardly pay attention during intermissions when watching the games, except to hear KB.

I would rather read you good folk here on CDC. Way more unbiased real info from us fans. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

On 5/31/2021 at 8:08 PM, Slegr said:

I’m hoping this hilarious Leaf disaster helps convince Petey and Hughes to take a bit of a cut on contracts, recognizing that to win, you need a balance throughout the line up.

Yes. But the GM needs to be smart about the dollars he’s committing as well. 

On 6/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, bishopshodan said:

This thread has reminded me that I dont listen to sports radio any more. I hardly pay attention during intermissions when watching the games, except to hear KB.

I would rather read you good folk here on CDC. Way more unbiased real info from us fans. 

Many media members in this city, along with the "Canucks fans" over at HF, like to pretend that our 2nd round appearance in 2020 didn't happen because it doesn't suit their narrative.   It's the most ridiculous thing ever.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Amazing what works as click bait in here to get recs.

A little rewriting of history.  The way I recall it,  many pundits were questioning the large contracts on the Leafs eating up so much of the cap at the time.  How it was huge gamble.  Their defence has been questioned all along. For sure on CDC that was the talk.

Toronto won the lottery.  But bad cap managing killed them.  Its ludicrous to suggest that was the fault of "pundits". 

Toronto had a foundational player to build around, and began to do so. They mismanaged both his and the secondary pieces contracts.

So......any pundit that said back then that Toronto looked to be in a good position for their rebuild, is now mud because Dubas screwed it up?

I think its impossible to ever scientifically compare different teams rebuilds anyways.  So many factors involved.

Your place in the draft pick order.

Your cap total at the time, and contracts owed in future.

Your average player age and ability

How full your prospect cupboard is at the time

Injuries

And when and how full on, you will commit to the rebuild.

This article for The Hockey Writers website was suggesting a rebuild back in 2015 for Benning.

https://thehockeywriters.com/time-is-now-for-rebuild-in-vancouver/

And how do you compare rebuilds when one team refused to use the word rebuild?  When one team went through a rebuild accidentally while trying to make the playoffs but failing spectacularly at that so badly they were able to pick high and snag prospects that pretty well demanded that they start to utter the forbidden word, and start to plan for the future instead of the "day to day" reactive style of squeaking into the playoffs managing?

Even if you disagree with that synopsis, the situations of both teams were different when they started the rebuild.  And even then....what is a "start"?  Every team is going through a rebuild to some degree every single season. They have to. Its more of a difference in concentration in one area. Simplistic comparison but one is putting most of your eggs in one basket...collecting good prospects. Whereas when in contention, you put most of the eggs in star power and rentals.

And the crux of it is cap management. And player position management. And mix of ELC and veterans. And team chemistry. Its the lowest hanging fruit in blaming the hockey pundits that thought Toronto was going to be better by now. Who cares what hockey pundits got right, or got wrong.  The late great Botchford coined "they need an army".  And Benning is still challenged by that job.  Where you need a whole team of players pulling in the same direction, with contracts where non are vastly overpaid, and all four lines contribute well. 

Totally different situations.  Dubas and Benning both failed in some areas, and have succeeded in others.  Hate to break it to you but Toronto is not on the decline just yet.  And the Canucks are not ready to compete for the Cup just yet either.   Its yet to be determined which of the two teams will get to another SCF first.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Many media members in this city, along with the "Canucks fans" over at HF, like to pretend that our 2nd round appearance in 2020 didn't happen because it doesn't suit their narrative.   It's the most ridiculous thing ever.

Team was a lot more solid. 

And markstrom was amazing.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:16 PM, wai_lai416 said:

lol so Makar doesn't help his team win? since Makar joined the colorado lineup their goals against per game went down by 0.6 per game as a team. since Hughes joined the Canucks lineup our goals against per game as a team actually gone up. Makar would put up similar points on the canucks playing with Pettersson Boeser and Miller and be far better defensively vs Hughes prolly would put up very similar numbers on Colorado but he would still be a liability on defense..

hockey is not just about the pure points.. who cares if u can get 100 points a season if u give up 100 goals against. tyson barrie is not going to win the norris nor nominated for the finalist just coz he tops the league in points.. and Quinn Hughes compared to Dahlin.. Buffalo is a train wreck.. they manage to turn Taylor Hall into looking like Eriksson production wise.. their forwards are lazy and don't play an ounce of defense Vancouver's player on defense looks like all stars compared to what buffalo have outside of dahlin. put him on a more respectable team even say ottawa Dahlin would have a much better career/growth

Love this post. 

Who gives a sh!t how many points Hughes puts up if the team isnt winning.  I could not care less about individual stats on this team.  3 , 4, 5 players dont make you a winner.  Takes 20 guys that play well rounded games.

Edited by EddieVedder

Totally agree with the criticisms of Hughes. 

The reason why EP is so brilliant is that he's also a fantastic defensive player. His stature doesn't limit his overall impact. 

I just think people overvalue points but you see with guys like Danault - Gallagher that you don't need to be big point producers to be top level players - you just have to outplay the competition you matchup against. 

I just don't know how these guys can go into another season where you have both Myers and Hughes - especially when they both make a fortune. Hamonic and Edler are the only defense first guys we have and they're both in their 30's and UFAs. Probably both best as your 4-6th best D. Schmidt is good at defending as well but is at his best roving further up with someone to cover. 

They need to add a legitimate young top level defender who can play a stupid amount of ES minutes against other teams best players. 

59 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Sat, is that you?  

Sat wants this team to be a bunch of ice dancers.  

Ice dancers? Don cherry is that you? You are probably one of the ones that wish guys were still destroying their families futures by getting crushed at center ice by Scott Stevens. They end up drooling on themselves through their 50's , and guys like you buy " rock em sock em" and have a beer and laugh about it. To each their own I guess.  Ya , I don't think Sat is wrong when he suggests skill over violent narsasism 

Edited by cuporbust

46 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

The reason why EP is so brilliant is that he's also a fantastic defensive player. His stature doesn't limit his overall impact. 

I just think people overvalue points but you see with guys like Danault - Gallagher that you don't need to be big point producers to be top level players - you just have to outplay the competition you matchup against. 

I just don't know how these guys can go into another season where you have both Myers and Hughes - especially when they both make a fortune. Hamonic and Edler are the only defense first guys we have and they're both in their 30's and UFAs. Probably both best as your 4-6th best D. Schmidt is good at defending as well but is at his best roving further up with someone to cover. 

They need to add a legitimate young top level defender who can play a stupid amount of ES minutes against other teams best players. 

Yeah god forbid going forward with a guy like hughes. Who needs a guy like that?

56 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ice dancers? Don cherry is that you? You are probably one of the ones that wish guys were still destroying their families futures by getting crushed at center ice by Scott Stevens. They end up drooling on themselves through their 50's , and guys like you buy " rock em sock em" and have a beer and laugh about it. To each their own I guess.  Ya , I don't think Sat is wrong when he suggests skill over violent narsasism 

Yes because Lindros and Kariya are both drooling over themselves.  Get a grip bruh.  This is hockey, not the ice capades.  Youve probably never played any competitive team sports in your life, so ill explain simply.. you dont win unless you and your team can handle physicality.  

Btw, Scott Stevens was a heck of a skillfull player earlier in his career.  

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

Edler is older, but Hamonics still young.  You need those early 30 players in your lineup.  Hamonic made  difference last year, and quite frankly hes been an impact player everywhere hes played.  Benning needs to do what he can to resign him.

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah god forbid going forward with a guy like hughes. Who needs a guy like that?

I will only speak for myself Bert.

I like Q, I really like Q. He does things on the ice that very few Dmen have ever done wearing a Canucks jersey. I’m glad we are going forward with him. He is a tremendous asset now and will be even more of an asset going forward. I expect he will learn to use his best skills to become a better defender through both coaching and experience. 

I just don’t think we are going to win anything if he is our #1. Not hating. Not dismissing. Just being real. The many flaws that have endlessly but often effectively been pointed out in these threads are real. I can’t imagine you are blind to them. That is a “little body” and that is unlikely to change. Have you watched the pounding that takes place at this point in the payoffs?

The issue in my mind is not so much Q. The issue is the caliber of defense we have surrounding Q. This is why, when asked my opinion on what this team needs to prioritize, it always comes back to conjuring up a real, staunch, minute munching, tough as nails #1.

Still love the boy. I just think he needs a big brother.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I will only speak for myself Bert.

I like Q, I really like Q. He does things on the ice that very few Dmen have ever done wearing a Canucks jersey. I’m glad we are going forward with him. He is a tremendous asset now and will be even more of an asset going forward. I expect he will learn to use his best skills to become a better defender through both coaching and experience. 

I just don’t think we are going to win anything if he is our #1. Not hating. Not dismissing. Just being real. The many flaws that have endlessly but often effectively been pointed out in these threads are real. I can’t imagine you are blind to them. That is a “little body” and that is unlikely to change. Have you watched the pounding that takes place at this point in the payoffs?

The issue in my mind is not so much Q. The issue is the caliber of defense we have surrounding Q. This is why, when asked my opinion on what this team needs to prioritize, it always comes back to conjuring up a real, staunch, minute munching, tough as nails #1.

Still love the boy. I just think he needs a big brother.

Well thats why ive been campaigning to get Cernak lol.

anyways look at last nights montreal vegas game. Weber and Chariot sh*t the bed IN OVERTIME on the game winning goal!! All that experience all that height and weight and still screwed the pooch big league. Players even elite ones have their issues at times. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well thats why ive been campaigning to get Cernak lol.

anyways look at last nights montreal vegas game. Weber and Chariot sh*t the bed IN OVERTIME on the game winning goal!! All that experience all that height and weight and still screwed the pooch big league. Players even elite ones have their issues at times. 

Yes but weve never seen a dman get manhandled and wrecked like we have Hughes.  Elite dmen dont make the amount of turnovers Hughes was making in his own end.  

Honestly, i wont be surprised if at some point a coach tries him on the wing.  

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Yes but weve never seen a dman get manhandled and wrecked like we have Hughes.  Elite dmen dont make the amount of turnovers Hughes was making in his own end.  

Honestly, i wont be surprised if at some point a coach tries him on the wing.  

You have any video of him in the playoffs getting manhandled like you claim? Was this happening every time he was on the ice?