The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCSF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/2021 at 01:00 AM

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know it wasn't

I tune most whingers out. I've spent enough time in T.O and lived in Van for ages. Good and bad folk like anywhere else.

The Center of the Universe stuff comes alot from the media too, and the early games that cater to the Eastern viewership. That gets on peoples nerves i think

I think it's pretty much all about the media....

Imagine privately owned companies catering to the area where they have by far the largest market....it's just so unfair! :sadno:

55 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, it wasn't meant as a joke...

The amount of whinging that has gone around about Toronto being "the center of the universe" from Canuck fans has been as embarrassing to me (as a Canuck fan myself) as the two riots....

...and I had no hand in either....

if you're 'embarrassed' by what other people do or say - you might want to have a look at that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

Grinding it out costs the league and players money through revenue sharing.  The players even wanted to make the rules more generous for Vegas as they were concerned that if Vegas struggled it would impact escrow.

Hmmm. Didn’t see it from this point of view.   Still hate them! 

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't follow....you didn't find the riots embarrassing?

Were you a part of those riots?   If not - why would you identify with the rioters? 

I think you have a questionable sense of 'identity' - that you might want to rethink - if you're embarrassed by the acts of other people / people you don't know - that you're neither responsible for, nor are they to you. \

The whole 'Canucks fans are embarrassing' thing is ironic - first, there's no such thing as 'Canucks fans' - it's a meaningless, pseudo 'enclosure' / identity that refers to literally hundreds of thousands of people - that are very different - that can't be 'generalized' as if there is some simple, common, defining elements.  It's a short step to 'humans are embarrassing' - which may be true, but completely undermines the fake Canucks' identity.   Canucks media on the other hand - is a much less diverse class lol - they are embarrassing!  (but so is Toronto media, Montreal media, whatever media etc, etc - and again, there are exceptions that make the claim meaningless as a generalization).

And your take on officiating....I don't care what side narrative you're subscribing to - 'center of the universe' / 'inferiority complex' etc = whatever (that is irrelevent).... if you watched that game last night and did not notice a notorious Chris Lee fking up yet another game, there's not much point talking about it here - it would seem that either you're ok with officials arrogant enough to make everything a discretionary 'judgement call' / (no rule book/throw out the rule book and don't feel particularly inclined to abide by it), or your standards are too low, or you've simply gotten to used to witnessing incompetence and have come to accept it.  Whatever the case - when you have a Craig Simpson/Leafs homer calling out a Chris Lee in a Habs game - it transcends whatever storyline you're hoping to reduce it to.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Were you a part of those riots?   If not - why would you identify with the rioters? 

I think you have a questionable sense of 'identity' - that you might want to rethink - if you're embarrassed by the acts of other people / people you don't know - that you're neither responsible for, nor are they to you. 

And your take on officiating....I don't care what side narrative you're subscribing to - 'center of the universe' / 'inferiority complex' etc = whatever (that is irrelevent).... if you watched that game last night and did not notice a notorious Chris Lee fking up yet another game, there's not much point talking about it here - it would seem that either you're ok with officials arrogant enough to make everything a discretionary 'judgement call' / (no rule book/throw out the rule book and don't feel particularly inclined to abide by it), or your standards are too low, or you've simply gotten to used to witnessing incompetence and have come to accept it.  Whatever the case - when you have a Craig Simpson/Leafs homer calling out a Chris Lee in a Habs game - it transcends whatever storyline you're hoping to reduce it to.

So you subscribe to the "Fix is in" narrative? I suppose you're right then....there isn't anything more to say....

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So you subscribe to the "Fix is in" narrative? I suppose you're right then....there isn't anything more to say....

LOL.

That's right - select another one of your narratives - that's it.

Media training: That 'so what you are saying is...' interview and how to  avoid it

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1

Was talking to my friend who is a Montreal fan before the series.  They feel the same way about Lee that we do about Sutherland.  The league really needs some kind of veto process to avoid problem refs repeatedly being assigned to work games involving teams that have reason to believe honesty may be an issue.  Giving Lee this many games with his history is asking for trouble.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you have it bass ackwards. 

er 'so you subscribe to the fix'..

I'm not going to waste any more time on this wadr.

Sorry you find it a "waste of time", but I'm honestly trying to figure out your point.

If you don't subscribe to the "League bias against Canada" theory, then we don't disagree. I've railed about game management for ages. I'd prefer that the game be called by the book, but after five decades of watching, I know that's not how it works. McNabb probably deserved a penalty for punching Suzuki last night, but it's the NHL playoffs. 90 out of 100 NHL refs either call nothing on that play, or they take both players.

I don't like it either, but it was beside the point I was making. Last night this thread was full of the usual suspects claiming that the league wants Montreal (or any Canadian team)  to lose, or something similar. That's the narrative I have an issue with. It just is not the case...

EDIT: BTW, I had to chuckle a bit at the wadr....all the "paper bags", "waste my time", etc, totally respectful...:lol:

Edited by RUPERTKBD

6 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I think part of it is that they want teams to stick. Give them a competitive team to start with and you get new franchise excitement, make a number of lifelong fans that will see them through the inevitable dark times.

you start with the dark times it can take years to get even semi competitive, at which point owners could be losing cash and looking to move the team on.

it makes sense, and most other expansions should have been done that way rather then being protected screw you to the new teams 

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here. It is better for the expansion team, the city and its fans, the league, players, etc. and is the way it should always have been done. None of that makes my jealousy or envy any less. There is absolutely nothing wrong with other fans having a healthy dislike for them. Vegas and Montreal aren’t teams I care for or would typically pay much attention to but because of my dislike for Toronto I got involved in the series. Same reason with this one for Vegas. Strong feelings about something make it more fun to watch when your team is not involved.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Imagine privately owned companies catering to the area where they have by far the largest market....it's just so unfair! :sadno:

you seem to really want to dig into this so....

this realization of yours might help explain a lot.

both why "the fix" is in lol  - that is sarcasm btw so don't bother - (however, you do realize NHL teams and the NHL as a whole fall in this same category = 'privately held company/companies' - in spite of using the public names of 'our' cities)  - but also raises the question - if you see this underlying corporate reality, why you would identify with a privately held company?  let alone the entire 'fanbase' (of 'public' individuals) identifying with a 'privately owned company'? 

and further - why would you then laugh off the implication that the 'privately held company' might act in their corporate/economic interest - to expand their markets/"cater" to US franchises - (when clearly they can take the 'Canadian' market for granted - people here will come back endlessly regardless - no Cups in forever, and yet...here 'we' are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry you find it a "waste of time", but I'm honestly trying to figure out your point.

If you don't subscribe to the "League bias against Canada" theory, then we don't disagree. I've railed about game management for ages. I'd prefer that the game be called by the book, but after five decades of watching, I know that's not how it works. McNabb probably deserved a penalty for punching Suzuki last night, but it's the NHL playoffs. 90 out of 100 NHL refs either call nothing on that play, or they take both players.

I don't like it either, but it was beside the point I was making. Last night this thread was full of the usual suspects claiming that the league wants Montreal (or any Canadian team)  to lose, or something similar. That's the narrative I have an issue with. It just is not the case...

EDIT: BTW, I had to chuckle a bit at the wadr....all the "paper bags", "waste my time", etc, totally respectful...:lol:

little fiddles my friend.  if you want "totally respectful" then being both initially patronizing and failing to respond to what people are actually saying isn't the way there.  you've elected to argue about narratives and straw stories - so yeah - that is a waste of time.  

At least you're able to recognize that Chris Lee mangled that fn game with an unfortunately predictable, inconsistent, unprofessional performance unfit for an NHL playoff game. 

If I hadn't been seeing it for over a decade I wouldn't be so "short" with it - but it's a literal rip off to spend time - and money - watching the playoffs - to have them revert to this gong show in game 4 of the 3rd round. 

Take that for whatever "narrative" you want.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

you seem to really want to dig into this so....

this realization of yours might help explain a lot.

both why "the fix" is in lol  - that is sarcasm btw so don't bother - (however, you do realize NHL teams and the NHL as a whole fall in this same category = 'privately held company/companies' - in spite of using the public names of 'our' cities)  - but also raises the question - if you see this underlying corporate reality, why you would identify with a privately held company?  let alone the entire 'fanbase' (of 'public' individuals) identifying with a 'privately owned company'? 

and further - why would you then laugh off the implication that the 'privately held company' might act in their corporate/economic interest - to expand their markets/"cater" to US franchises - (when clearly they can take the 'Canadian' market for granted - people here will come back endlessly regardless - no Cups in forever, and yet...here 'we' are.

I suppose where others see a conspiracy, I see otherwise.

For instance, the 2016 Entry draft, Toronto wins the lottery and gets Austin Matthews...yet Arizona was in the lottery and getting the hometown hero would have boosted their prospects immensely. (And they are Bettman's favorite team, after all)

So why not swing the draft for the 'Yotes? If they can convince professional referees to favor American based teams over Canadian, why not go all in?

A while back I posted a comment about the Washington - Montreal series, that Halak basically stole for the Habs. There was a game in that series decided because a goal for the Caps was overturned, due to a very borderline goaltender interference call. Yet one of the most marketable faces in the league was golfing, while the "sure thing" Habs moved on.

If there is actually a league bias against Canadian teams (and my entire point is that I don't think there is) it's applied very inconsistently....

• RoughGame 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I suppose where others see a conspiracy, I see otherwise.

there's the paper bag you asked for more of.

Again - I'm not going to bother with you here - because you're unable to have a conversation - instead you're off on "conspiracy" (when just a few posts ago you were maintaining that it makes perfect sense for 'privately held companies' to act in their economic interest.

I'm sorry but that's enough of this for me.

• Like 1