The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Lessons Have The Habs Taught Us?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 7/2/2021 at 10:09 PM, Nuck1991 said:

Need depth to win the cup. Depth is the key word here. stamkos and point have been so quiet in 3 games and yet tampa scored 14 goals

Depth, veteran experience, and a lineup complete of players who can play an intense 2 way game.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 5:05 AM, Alflives said:

I don’t know what Marky’s numbers were last year with the Cow Pies, but it sure appeared like (from just watching him play) he was not nearly as good as he was when Clarke was his coach.  

The Calgary Cow Pies... :lol:

Too funny! 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Depth, veteran experience, and a lineup complete of players who can play an intense 2 way game.

Totally agree.  Cole Caufield has been exposed as too small, and too slow.  

Plus, Habs has guys who only play one way.  Defensively.  Not enough guys who play a 2 way game.  Not winning anything with an old Cory Perry as your best forward. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  Cole Caufield has been exposed as too small, and too slow.  

Plus, Habs has guys who only play one way.  Defensively.  Not enough guys who play a 2 way game.  Not winning anything with an old Cory Perry as your best forward. 

interesting. I went back and looked at some of the scouting reports when Donnie and Dhali were trying to tell us we made a mistake with Podkolzin. Some reports said CC lacked high end speed, some said he had good speed and agility. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting. I went back and looked at some of the scouting reports when Donnie and Dhali were trying to tell us we made a mistake with Podkolzin. Some reports said CC lacked high end speed, some said he had good speed and agility. 

CC is quick, but not fast.  He’s little so appears to be going fast, but in a straight line taller guys easily out pace him.  In space in the Ozone, his quickness is noticeable.  But again as the play gets heavier, CC gets forced to the perimeter, where he is 100% useless.  It’s not like he’s winning any physical wall battles, yet that is exactly where he is forced to play.  He’s gone from Mighty Mouse to Smurfette.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

CC is quick, but not fast.  He’s little so appears to be going fast, but in a straight line taller guys easily out pace him.

thats funny, thats exactly how I learned to catch chickens on my grandparents farm 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In space in the Ozone, his quickness is noticeable.  But again as the play gets heavier, CC gets forced to the perimeter, where he is 100% useless.  It’s not like he’s winning any physical wall battles, yet that is exactly where he is forced to play.  He’s gone from Mighty Mouse to Smurfette.  

I think in the regular season he'll get his chances but you're correct about the perimeter problem. I also noticed he's pretty easy to get the puck from, so he'll have to learn how to protect it much better. 

Just looking at Toffoli's numbers so far in the playoffs, -3 vs TO, +3 vs WPG, +/-0 vs Vegas, -5 vs Tampa (no goals or assists yet). 

I know +/- can be a weak stat for comparison, but there does seem to be a story here. Faster, more skilled teams do pretty well against him. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That's funny that Donnie and Dhali were trying to tell us we made a mistake with Podkolzin. That's only their opinion. 

This kid is showing signs already in the 2nd best league in the world that he is going to be a beast. 

I like CC, but I'd choose VP every day. 

Edit: and that's before he even turned 20. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

That's funny that Donnie and Dhali were trying to tell us we made a mistake with Podkolzin. That's only their opinion. 

This kid is showing signs already in the 2nd best league in the world that he is going to be a beast. 

I like CC, but I'd choose VP every day. 

Edit: and that's before he even turned 20. 

its actually a really unfair comparison to both players, Podz and CC are nothing alike, won't score alike, won't contribute alike, ever. 

The right comparison imo with our team is with Hoglander. It'll be really interesting to see which guy performs better in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

The Habs were the underdogs in the playoffs, and they played like a team. Price helped get them there, but Tampa is loaded with expensive players, I mean talent, and they'll win the Cup again.

Someone needs to change those cap rules. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:27 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Just looking at Toffoli's numbers so far in the playoffs, -3 vs TO, +3 vs WPG, +/-0 vs Vegas, -5 vs Tampa (no goals or assists yet). 

I know +/- can be a weak stat for comparison, but there does seem to be a story here. Faster, more skilled teams do pretty well against him. 

maybe he is injured again

maybe the heat from filling the net against the Canucks has worn off and he needs a game against us to rekindle his scoring

maybe its cuz Ron McLean is talking about his wife 

maybe the mayor of Scarborrough reminded him how much he hates the Habs

maybe he is saving himself for the OT Cup winner in overtime

On 7/4/2021 at 5:27 PM, the grinder said:

that u need to hide err put a 10 million dollar player  on LTIR and he miraculously comes back just in time for the  playoffs too bad

I think that was kind of brilliant

On 7/4/2021 at 4:55 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

its actually a really unfair comparison to both players, Podz and CC are nothing alike, won't score alike, won't contribute alike, ever. 

The right comparison imo with our team is with Hoglander. It'll be really interesting to see which guy performs better in the playoffs. 

I think all players are comparible

tradees get made

some times its winger for winger

or grinder for grinder

and sometimes its center for goalie

can you not assess a trade if its Center for Goalie?

9 hours ago, lmm said:

maybe he is injured again

maybe the heat from filling the net against the Canucks has worn off and he needs a game against us to rekindle his scoring

maybe its cuz Ron McLean is talking about his wife 

maybe the mayor of Scarborrough reminded him how much he hates the Habs

maybe he is saving himself for the OT Cup winner in overtime

maybe 

9 hours ago, lmm said:

I think all players are comparible

tradees get made

some times its winger for winger

or grinder for grinder

and sometimes its center for goalie

can you not assess a trade if its Center for Goalie?

I guess you can try to make any comp you want to, it just might not be all that useful.