The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Move Juolevi to Forward

Rate this topic

WEVEGOTMOTTE

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nerve damage can take up to 18 months to recover the pathways.  Then the muscles, once being signalled properly again, need to regrow.  OJ is literally just now getting through his back issues.  I see him making huge improvements over this next year.  

I agree with the recovery time-line, just like Edler's back injury.

There's also a video where Juolevi, when playing with Utica, got caught at the oppositions blue line, raced back and checked the forward at Utica's blue line. 

Once he gets healthy, this guy skates like a thoroughbred. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME Wanted to say thanks for your voice of reason. Your posts are the ones I enjoy the most on CDC, bar none. You are appreciated!

Kind words and much appreciated. :) 

And kinda fun to get a reply like this right at the moment when I’m posting a silly joke attempt like the one above. ;) 

EDIT: and, of course, a new thread page starts so this doesn’t make any sense. :lol:

I was referring to this silly post:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:16 AM, Angry Goose said:

People need to stop it with changing the position a player has learned/trained in for the majority of their competitive career.  Going from C/W is hard enough let alone F/D in the most challenging league in the world.  

true, Philly just did it with the towering D man Sam Morin, he is now a LW for them. Likely not to amount to much as a player but the team is trying.

OJ is a D man to me, if anyone it should be Hughes that gets moved to a LW, he doesn't poses a hard shot like Rathbone and he likely will never bulk up the same as him either. So let him be a rover winger on Horvat's wing or something. That is more of a possibility than OJ becoming a F, but ya never know...look what Philly did!

• Vintage 2

Olli Juolevi for Mason Appleton + 

Jets get a 3LD, we get a 3C. They were going to lose Appleton anyway, now we get him to hopefully fill a roll for us. Juolevi helps fill out their D and we get an additional pick/prospect to even it out given that Juolevi was a top pick 5 years ago. 

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

Olli Juolevi for Mason Appleton + 

Jets get a 3LD, we get a 3C. They were going to lose Appleton anyway, now we get him to hopefully fill a roll for us. Juolevi helps fill out their D and we get an additional pick/prospect to even it out given that Juolevi was a top pick 5 years ago. 

Jets make that deal to then lose Juolevi or Stanley in the expansion draft after giving up a pick/prospect to Vancouver. 

They seem better off to just keep their picks/prospects and lose Appleton.  Vancouver can then try and make a deal with Seattle to acquire him.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Jets make that deal to then lose Juolevi or Stanley in the expansion draft after giving up a pick/prospect to Vancouver. 

They seem better off to just keep their picks/prospects and lose Appleton.  Vancouver can then try and make a deal with Seattle to acquire him.

Could we make conditional trade? ie trade is rescinded if either is claimed by SK. 

On 6/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, BarnBurner said:

There's also a video where Juolevi, when playing with Utica, got caught at the oppositions blue line, raced back and checked the forward at Utica's blue line. 

He just needs the minutes; hopefully Shaw can give him a better structure to succeed in and (also) more chances to earn his minutes.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Could we make conditional trade? ie trade is rescinded if either is claimed by SK. 

Probably not and it doesn't solve the issue for Winnipeg.

The reasoning is flawed.  Why would a team want to give up a pick/prospect to help Vancouver while then losing another player in expansion.

Winnipeg is expected to lose Appleton because they don't have any other protection spots. They would need a pick or player that is expansion exempt in return.  Not them giving up an asset and then losing someone else.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably not and it doesn't solve the issue for Winnipeg.

The reasoning is flawed.  Why would a team want to give up a pick/prospect to help Vancouver while then losing another player in expansion.

Winnipeg is expected to lose Appleton because they don't have any other protection spots. They would need a pick or player that is expansion exempt in return.  Not them giving up an asset and then losing someone else.

Well lets say the jets wanna improve their D and like jouveli as much as they like stanley. If you lose one you still have the other guy so it works out good for them no?

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well lets say the jets wanna improve their D and like jouveli as much as they like stanley. If you lose one you still have the other guy so it works out good for them no?

Still not logical.

The proposal is Winnipeg sending Appleton + pick/prospect to Vancouver.  They will then lose another player to expansion.

If they stand pat - they simply lose Appleton and aren't giving up a pick/prospect and get to keep Stanley. 

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Still not logical.

The proposal is Winnipeg sending Appleton + pick/prospect to Vancouver.  They will then lose another player to expansion.

If they stand pat - they simply lose Appleton and aren't giving up a pick/prospect and get to keep Stanley. 

Yeah it doesnt work unless we are the ones giving them a pick or a protected ED player like rathbone. I mean they could be fine losing appleton for nothing or get a 3rd from us?

On 6/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, 4LineTeam said:

Olli Juolevi is a talented offensive player with decent size.  I was actually excited when the Canucks drafted despite thinking Tkachuk and Keller would be good offensive talents. D was a position of need and I thought it was better for the club long term to take a shot at this player.  Since then, Hughes is the clear Powerplay Quarterback for the next 10 plus years.  Rathbone may be a good secondary option and Schmidt is currently signed long term.  

Injuries have limited him physically as well as the time away recovering has not allowed him to develop at the rate we would like.  I think there is still some trade value and cache from being a 5th overall pick for some teams to be interested.  However in a flat cap world and out team is up against it, maybe now is the time for the team to be creative:

His strengths are:

• His shot (especially along the wall and around the circle on the left side)
  • His passing ability
  • Overall offensive awareness

Maybe trying him out on the third or second line wing, he would be decent defensively as a forward.  Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Burns have been moved from D to forward and done well.  Maybe it is his best chance to succeed in Vancouver.

Just throwing it out there during the lull of the off season.  Want to hear peoples thoughts and ready to hear it from the keyboard warriors.  Go Canucks Go!

While this is not on overly-horrible take given your reference to Buff and Burnsy, OJ is nowhere near their level of skill or manliness. They are both All Stars with the ability to take over a series (in their prime) while OJ is pretty much a bust. I am not even sure he would be a good water boy at this point and that sucks because I am sure his injuries have contributed greatly to his decline. Who knows what he would have been had he stayed healthy, but even injury-prone Sami Salo still had enough skill to be a bonafide top-4 dman and one of our top-10 dmen of all time. Besides that, your post is aesthetically pleasing between grammar, punctuation and spelling. So bravo for that lol.

Go Canucks!!!

• Haha 1

Defensemen who play forward are rare. Some it happens in junior. Some are just injuries are forcing the teams hand. 

Let's get OJ to learn the defensive side of the game shall we. He looked quite good when he was playing. Covid effects are a setback. 

Hopefully not permanent damage. 

On 6/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, BarnBurner said:

Healthy and a chance to get minutes to develope

• Cheers 1