The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] nashville/kings arvidsson To LA: Arvidsson To NAS: 2021 2nd RD, 2022 3rd RD

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

Minor quibbble, they would not lose Viktor for nothing, they would get

$4,250,000 in cap space

owner pockets his share of the expansion fee

They get more this way, but were already better than nothing.

Yeah but getting a 2nd and 3rd plus get the 4.25 mill cap space is better lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

This is good to show the people that think GMs wont make trades to try and get assets for someone they know will be picked by seattle. 

Arvidsson was going to be exposed.  Nashville no longer saw him as part of their future and were looking to move on.

40th overall + a 3rd round pick for a player that has struggled the past 2 seasons and been injured a lot.  It's not cheap.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Seems a bit meh. Arvidsson is the age of a guy you get when your team is on the way up. The Kings do look to be heading up soon, but I feel like this trade is one or two years too early.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree, Horvat, EP, Demko are core..  Hogz and Podz will be.  We need that one Kucherov, Stamkos type dominating game breaking winger.

But, we are so far back on the defensive ends, its pathetic.  Tampa has Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, Mcdonaugh as a top 4... none of our players would crack that top 4.  

No doubt Tampa is an extremely well run organization...their creativity with respect to keeping and acquiring players is top notch and the Canucks need some of that if they are going to get to the next level.

I view a core as being made up of four pieces: 2 forwards, 1 d-man and 1 goalie (i.e. the guys you won't trade for any reason and will build around - rotating complimentary pieces in and out depending on team needs).

1) I agree they still need a game breaking, core foward. 

2) I also agree they need an improved defense but that takes time and often does not occur just through the draft (unless you are Nashville). Using Tampa as an example:

- Hedman drafted 2009

- Sergachev traded for in 2017 (for a former #3 draft pick in Drouin)

- Cernak was traded for in 2017 (for a #1 goalie in Ben Bishop)

- Mcdonaugh was traded for in 2018 (gave up a first round pick but also received JT Miller!!)

- Rutta was traded for in 2019

- David Savard traded for at deadline (1st round pick)

Canucks have not drafted enough d-men in the later rounds and I hope they do so moving forward (if it was me I would only draft d-men and centers the 3rd round and after (maybe the odd goalie). But more importantly they need to be more creative in acquiring pieces - it is crucial they use the rare opportunity of the expansion draft to acquire one or two key d-men (maybe two or three if the Schmidt rumors are true).

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

It is not an exception to a rule in my view, the mechanics of tanking are given way too much weight by many in terms of that being the key to success (i.e. a SC win). Yes, a team needs to draft a few core pieces in the first round but late round drafting, UFA signings, trades, and cap management all play just as key a role in actually winning a SC. For every team that tanks and wins, there are more that tank and fail.

If teams can draft 2 core forwards, 1 core goalie, and 1 core d-man (d-man usually in the 2nd or 3rd round), they are in good shape (picking number 1 helps but I don't view it as a determining factor). 

Pit (Crosby and Letang in 2005, Malkin in 2004, Fleury 2003) - Cup wins in 2009, 2016, 2017.

Chigago (Toews 2006, Kane 2007, Crawford 2003, Keith 2002) - Cup wins 2010, 2013, 2015

LA (Brown 2003, Kopitar 2005, Quick 2005, Doughty 2008) - Cup wins 2012, 2014

Washington, St Louis, & Tampa were slow builds

Canucks

Demko 2014, Boeser 2015, EP 2017, Hughes 2018 - Cup window (typically four to 8 years after last piece drafted) 2022 - 2028

1) Drafting Core - Grade A - they have done well in drafting EP, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko. They likley still need to hit big on one more forward (ideally a centre) - hopefully they can find at #9 this year or trade back to acquire multiple picks (if a center and d-man are there). Prefer they stick with #9 and draft BPA (ideally it is a center).

2) Later round drafting - Grade B - they have done well at forward and goalie (Demko) but failed in terms of d-men. They need two of their existing or future draft picks to pan out in a big way (Rathbone, Woo,  2021 picks, etc.).

3) UFA signings - Grade D - obviously this has been a huge weak point - their NHL level scouting appears to be very weak. I understand that the team wanted mentors (which I agree with) but they signed way too many vets. Now that the core players are beginning to take a bigger role, I expect the team will avoid older UFAs (hopefully). Happy with one year deals but no more multiple year contracts. Team needs to improve significantly in this area - focus on quality and value rather than quantity.

4) Trades - Grade B minus - I don't think their trade history has been all that bad. It has been average with a couple big wins in Miller and Pearson. Regardless, they will likely need two more great trades (not necessarily wins vs. the other team but in terms of acquiring the right players for this team e.g. big steady d-man, a top six winger, etc.).

5) Cap Managent - Grade D - the last few years have been poor but the cap will open up next year and the team needs to use it wisely so that they can achieve their goal - SC win.

Their biggest summer is 2022 but what they do this summer will be key to setting up a successful 2022 summer. The exectutive team has been too rigid in terms of their UFA signings and cap management - there is no doubt they need to be more creative when it comes to acquiring players.

I think their only goal should be to acquire a top six forward and a d-man this summer from teams worried about the expansion draft. All UFA signing should be one year deals. If they do that, they should have a solid year and be well prepared for the summer of 2022 - without having to tank.

100% 

To get back on topic, have people forgotten what Arvidsson has done (or not done) in the last two years?  

Let’s just say that I wouldn’t want to give him his deal if he was a free agent today, let alone give up two draft picks (39th overall plus 3rd).  

I do like that Kings are going to exit their rebuild, as I don’t agree with this whole “you gotta finish dead last for as long as possible” mentality.  

39 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Well, before you start breaking out the champagne, LA still has a ways to go before becoming a competitive team.

No kidding.

I can’t believe anyone is praising LA for this. This is the exact type of move Canucks fans roast Benning for.

The Kings are nowhere near ready to compete again. All this does is increase their chance of getting a slightly worse pick.

I get that they want good players for Byfield and Turcotte to play with but a 2nd and a 3rd is a high price to pay. They could have gotten similar players in free agency with all their cap space. Arvidsson will be well past his prime by the time the Kings are anywhere close to being a contender again.

Clear win for Nashville here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

With Vilardi and Byfield down the middle these guys are going to be a force soon.  

Kopitar and Doughty will be still be effective enough to provide good support by then.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bustaroo Bonsais.  

Byfield is 18yo and just put up 20pts in 32 games in the AHL.  He's gonna be an elite force to be reckoned with for years to come.

I don't think this helps LA at all.  They should have kept the draft capital that they did such a good job of acquiring.  Arvidsson's production level is trending downwards.  

LA's top core are all in their 30's.  Most of their young top prospects aren't even on the big club yet.  Their new rebuild window hasn't even started yet.  They still need a top flight goalie and several defencemen to complete their rebuild.  Those two draft picks could have helped as you don't always hit on every pick and having two picks in the 2nd round this year would have allowed them to take a flyer on a guy with a high risk/high reward profile.  

I think Nashville did a great job of getting good value for a declining asset.  Poile is a top GM.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Byfield is 18yo and just put up 20pts in 32 games in the AHL.  He's gonna be an elite force to be reckoned with for years to come.

No he’s not.  He’s going to be an average NHL centre.  I see a lot of Doug Wickenheiser in Byfield.  

15 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

People are really sleeping on LA. 

Good chance they're a playoff team next year.

If Blake keeps giving up high picks for older guys, like Arvidsson then the Kings will place between 17 and 21.  

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think Cal Petersen is going to take them to the promised land...

Peterson's a good promising goalie, don't let his record fool you.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No chance.

Very good chance.

Just now, Alflives said:

If Blake keeps giving up high picks for older guys, like Arvidsson then the Kings will place between 17 and 21.  

That's likely good enough for 3rd in the Pacific.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Very good chance.

How much, and where is that bridge you’re selling?  :shock:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Very good chance.

They’re not finishing higher than Vegas, Edmonton, or Calgary.

So they would have to be better than Vancouver, Seattle, and San Jose for the wild card.

Possible but very unlikely.

• Vintage 1