The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Making more cap space.

As reported by Rick, we may need a sweetener or restrained salary to send Holtby to Seattle. 

Worth it. 

*Package a pick, ship Holtby off to Seattle.

-4.3M in savings 

*Jake Virtanen + Antoine Roussell buyouts

-Rooster saves us 1.26M and JV saves us 2.5M

-The two of them combined save us 3.76M

*If we were to deal 9th OA, as iMac reported, it’s valuable enough to include a bad contract. Beagle could either be dumped that way, or shipped separately with a pick attached. 

Out- Beagle 3M Holtby 4.3M

Bought Out - Rooster 1.26M Saved JV 2.5M

11M in savings, and YES it might take a mid plus 2nd round pick to get these deals done, and having an insignificant amount of buyout penalties next year but it’s doable. Especially with LE coming off the books next year.

This will give us the 15M we have right now plus an extra 11M.

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Kraken won’t take Holtby without a decent pick.  I’d rather take my chances with Benning & the scouting staff using that pick to find another diamond in the rough.

We need to respect the players we do have at the same time and put out a competitive line up. 

I understand you though completely, and wouldn’t go this route hadn’t we screwed ourselves in the first place.

• Cheers 1

Maybe we can also make hockey trades...

Schmidt to NYI for Mayfield + 2nd.

That would be a cap savings of about $4M.

NYI gets a D that can carry the puck.  VAN gets a bigger RHD.

38 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

As reported by Rick, we may need a sweetener or restrained salary to send Holtby to Seattle. 

Worth it. 

-4.3M in savings 

*If we were to deal 9th OA, as iMac reported, it’s valuable enough to include a bad contract. Beagle could either be dumped that way, or shipped separately with a pick attached. 

11M in savings, and YES it might take a mid plus 2nd round pick to get these deals done, and having an insignificant amount of buyout penalties next year but it’s doable. Especially with LE coming off the books next year.

No point in buying out Roussel as his cap would carry over to next year. We can bury him in the minors and save the same amount without it costing us next year.

Buyout Virtanen and Holtby if needed, total cost savings of 6.3M this season and only costs us 2.4M next year

• Cheers 1

Just now, CR7 said:

No point in buying out Roussel as his cap would carry over to next year. We can bury him in the minors and save the same amount without it costing us next year.

Buyout Virtanen and Holtby if needed, total cost savings of 6.3M this season and only costs us 2.4M next year

633k for rooster next year. 500k for JV. 1.33M next year total.

45 minutes ago, BPA said:

Maybe we can also make hockey trades...

Schmidt to NYI for Mayfield + 2nd.

That would be a cap savings of about $4M.

NYI gets a D that can carry the puck.  VAN gets a bigger RHD.

NYI are also looking to create cap space.  That’s why they are looking to move Leddy.  This trade doesn't work for them.

Also Trotz scratched Schmidt over 20 times his last season in Washington.  Not sure these 2 want to be back on the same team.

Edited by mll

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

So who do you think Seattle will take from us?

I don’t think we should be entertaining side deals with a team on our doorstep that will just give them even more picks/players 

From all the mock draft expansions...

SEA will pick a prospect like Lind or Gadjovich.

Just now, mll said:

NYI are also looking to create cap space.  That’s why they are looking to move Leddy.  This trad3 doesn’t work for them.  

Also Trotz scratched Schmidt over 20 times his last season in Washington.  Not sure these 2 want to be back on the same team.

I guess.  Cap space is a premium to all teams unless you pull a TB LTIR scam.

Said it before.  Ride out the bad contracts.  Draft well. Get more prospects into the lineup to keep the ELC contracts flowing.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

I guess.  Cap space is a premium to all teams unless you pull a TB LTIR scam.

Said it before.  Ride out the bad contracts.  Draft well. Get more prospects into the lineup to keep the ELC contracts flowing.

The only exception for me is Holtby since having Seattle take him allows us to keep a prospect instead of losing Gadjovich or Lind for nothing.

Just now, King Heffy said:

The only exception for me is Holtby since having Seattle take him allows us to keep a prospect instead of losing Gadjovich or Lind for nothing.

If it one of them so be it,   better to lose one then to pay them to take another player if that’s what they want as we make ourselves weaker and a direct divisional rival stronger by adding. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

We need to respect the players we do have at the same time and put out a competitive line up. 

I understand you though completely, and wouldn’t go this route hadn’t we screwed ourselves in the first place.

The players need to grow up and act like professional athletes as they are getting paid to execute their assignments regardless of what sr management decides to do.

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

The players need to grow up and act like professional athletes as they are getting paid to execute their assignments regardless of what sr management decides to do.

Oh yeah 100% &^@# management its all on players to turn water into wine &^@# yeah! Totally!

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

Worth it. 

-4.3M in savings 

Better idea;

Offer Seattle our 2nd round pick to take Loui for 1 season or to buy him out.

Buy out Virtanen and Holtby.

This creates about 12.3 million in additional cap space for next season.

There is no real reason to buy out Roussel, I’d rather give him the chance to come into camp and show that he can regain the same level of play he had first year here, before the knee injury. Worst case, send him to Abbotsford, you only gain about 400k more in buying him out than parking him in the minors.

Beagle, we are a better team and harder to score against when he’s in the lineup. Buying him out would actually cost us more on cap than just sending him to Abbotsford if needed.

Doing this, you still get almost to 15 million total potential savings with far less carryover into additional years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Kraken won’t take Holtby without a decent pick.  I’d rather take my chances with Benning & the scouting staff using that pick to find another diamond in the rough.

Holtby is the best player that we will expose, they will take him if available.

• Cheers 1