The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexander Edler to hit free agency

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And really no all-star there. No Norris defenseman. No 7 million dollar player

Just a really good balance of defenseman. Exactly how we should be looking to build the new core.

The defence by committee approach hasn't won a cup as far as I can recall. Cup winners all have a stud #1.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Nope, never said it did… but GMs with few options make bad decisions out of desperation.

The prospect of that defence staring him in the face on free agency day makes for us paying whatever assets to find legitimate NHL defence.

I'm thinking there are going to be quite a few options over the coming weeks for Benning to fill out his D core.  Edler may find that he doesn't have many suitors either.  It's not like there will be 20 teams knocking on his door looking to give him $4 million+ or whatever he is looking for.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

With what money exactly?  If placeholders like Edler and Hamonic are priced out of our ability to sign them… exactly what better options would be available to us?

We would be left hoping for a trade and using up our few trade assets to just fill new holes and not to get better.

Benning’s offseason history isn’t anything to engender charitable hopefulness 

I didn’t know we kept Edler and Hamonics cap hits and they leave. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm thinking there are going to be quite a few options over the coming weeks for Benning to fill out his D core.  Edler may find that he doesn't have many suitors either.  It's not like there will be 20 teams knocking on his door looking to give him $4 million+ or whatever he is looking for.

If what Benning says about Schmidt not requesting a trade is true, I'd be inclined to simply move Schmidt over to the left side (I think he would play much better there), resign Hamonic and go after Larsson.

Schmidt Larsson

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi

Not bad. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Once again we lose another player for nothing. Jim's gotta realize that he needs to get some assets for players (Tanev, Markstrom, and now Edler). I know clauses got in the way for Eddy, but those 3 alone should give us some more picks in the cupboard. Instead we got nothing.

It's painful watching other teams come to these realizations and make the trades for the picks and continue to stay strong, whereas the Canucks consistently lose players for nothing. Has Jim ever received a 2nd round pick in a trade in his entire tenure? 

So what is it? If you do realize that “clauses got in the way for Eddy”, how do you expect to “get some more picks in the cupboard”? You can’t be a little pregnant, you know?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

My bad. I felt like this was a good Canucks discussion. I don't go to the Trades and Rumours section much. Lol 

All good Doc. Just felt it was worth pointing ya in the right direction because it's been a pretty active conversation all day.

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't think this necessarily means he's gone. We can't sign him before the expansion draft anyway.

I imagine he tests the market and comes back on the cheap if he can't find something he likes.

Edler testing the market like 

tenor.gif

and then circles back to the Canucks offer.

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The defence by committee approach hasn't won a cup as far as I can recall. Cup winners all have a stud #1.

There was a year the Pens won when Letang missed the entire run. That is the one of the very few recent examples I can think of.

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If what Benning says about Schmidt not requesting a trade is true, I'd be inclined to simply move Schmidt over to the left side (I think he would play much better there), resign Hamonic and go after Larsson.

Schmidt Larsson

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi

Not bad. 

That's possible although I believe Schmidt prefers the right side.  Larsson is one option.  I'm sure Benning is looking at several options.