The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which #35 in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which #35 in their prime are you taking?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Esposito and it's not even close.

He was great in his time. Still, if there is one position that has changed the most it's goaltending. Espo wouldn't hold a candle to a more technical goalie like Rinne. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Esposito wins this one with his insane rookie year. His 15 shutouts are a modern day NHL record and he did it as a rookie. Was also voted onto the 1st Team All-Star, which is effectively equivalent to today's Vezina and finished 2nd in Hart voting. A .932 save percentage in 1969-70 is insane.

#1 - Tony Esposito

#2 - Pekka Rinne - Won the Vezina in 2017-18 with a league-leading 8 shutouts and a .927 save percentage. In 2011, he finished 2nd in Vezina voting (to Thomas) and 4th in Hart voting.

#3 - Tom Barrasso - Barrasso had trouble staying great consistently, but he was incredible as a young goaltender. Won the Calder and Vezina as a rookie in 1983-84 and finished 2nd in Vezina voting three other times as well. 

#4 - Marty Turco - Always felt odd to me that Turco never won a Vezina. He finished 2nd in 2002-03 and 4th in 2003-04 with a 8th place Hart trophy finish. In 2002-03, he led the NHL with a .932 save percentage. He was insane against the Canucks in the 2007 first round even though they lost, as he sported a .952 save percentage in that 7-game series.

#5 - Mike Richter - His best year was probably his official rookie year (though he played 23 games in 1989-90) in 1990-91 when he finished 3rd in Vezina voting. Richter was quite good in the playoffs though and his .932 save percentage was a big reason the Rangers made it to the conference finals in 1997.

#6 - Andy Moog - Won the William M. Jennings trophy with Boston in 1989-90 and finished 3rd in Vezina voting. Regularly received Vezina votes outside of that, but was never a serious contender. Was an important piece for the Bruins in their run to the finals in 1990.

#7 - Cory Schneider - Obviously had a huge fall from grace, but his prime was underrated in my opinion. Schneider won the Jennings with the Canucks and still has the record for the highest save percentage in Canucks history at .937 (he did it with 33 games played). He was originally very good for the Devils after being traded and finished 6th in Vezina voting in 2015-16, though I recall feeling that he should've been closer to 3rd that year, given how bad New Jersey was.

#8 - Nikolai Khabibulin - Always struck me as a great goaltender, but never received much in the way of accolades. The highest he finished in Vezina voting was his best year, which was 2002-03, in which he finished 7th in Vezina voting and 14th in Hart voting. Played very well with a .933 save percentage and league-leading 5 shutouts en route to his Cup victory with Tampa Bay in 2004.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheCammer said:

He was great in his time. Still, if there is one position that has changed the most it's goaltending. Espo wouldn't hold a candle to a more technical goalie like Rinne. 

I think of all the Old School players, Tony O's game would be one of the best at transfering to the modern game

his equipment on the other hand

probably not so much

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Did schneider have a prime? I missed have missed it. 

He was good in 2012, 2013, and his first few years in Jersey but then ran into chronic injury problems.   He was definitely one of the better goalies in the league for a few years there however.

• Upvote 2