The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Might be their GM had no taste for overpaid, past their prime, NHL vets that were made available.

Then why did Francis select Giordano?  At 38 do you think he is still in his prime?  Tarasenko is only 29.  Doctor said he is feeling great.  Carey Price just led his team to the Stanley Cup final.  He looked like a Vezina trophy candidate.  Why did they not select those 2 but picked a 38 year old Giordano who will probably retire in a year?

They have over $30 million in cap space.  Unless they plan to sign Ovechkin, Hamilton and Landeskog in free agency I highly doubt they use up most of that money.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I predict Lind will not play a regular season game for Seattle.  He will be waived, and claimed by Arizona.  

We come before Arizona in the picking order, so we could reclaim him (if not picked by any of the teams below us - selection opportunities go by inverse points totals)

Just now, Googlie said:

We come before Arizona in the picking order, so we could reclaim him (if not picked by any of the teams below us - selection opportunities go by inverse points totals)

Lind stinks.  We don’t want him.  

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Then why did Francis select Giordano?  At 38 do you think he is still in his prime?  Tarasenko is only 29.  Doctor said he is feeling great.  Carey Price just led his team to the Stanley Cup final.  He looked like a Vezina trophy candidate.  Why did they not select those 2 but picked a 38 year old Giordano who will probably retire in a year?

They have over $30 million in cap space.  Unless they plan to sign Ovechkin, Hamilton and Landeskog in free agency I highly doubt they use up most of that money.

Maybe Francis has a deal to send him to Pittsburgh in exchange for Malkin?

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I normally take your words quite seriously, but are you telling me these expansion picks were the best ones Seattle could've done? Assuming they were trying to be competitive, obtaining Larsson and Eberle would make sense. However, they also picked up a lot of questionable players, and it's pretty clear thus far that it wasn't about the money. Was Lind really the best choice for Seattle, roster wise?

I think they took a lot of younger guys with term with affordable contracts with an eye on taking advantage of the flat cap.  It’s a question of cost vs value.  I’ll reserve judgement on the team until I see the final form.  For me psssing on guys like Price, Landeskog and Tarsasenko makes total sense 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Would be hilarious if all the leaks were fake decoy picks. 

Funny was just looking at some of the comments on IG. Lot of Seattle “fans” pissed and hope every pick was fake haha 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Then why did Francis select Giordano?  At 38 do you think he is still in his prime?  Carey Price just led his team to the Stanley Cup final.  He looked like a Vezina trophy candidate.

Giordano only has a year left on his contract.  You missed those shenanigans about "is he hurt or isn't he hurt" reports on Price?  Price has what?  Five years left on his contract?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I think they took a lot of younger guys with term with affordable contracts with an eye on taking advantage of the flat cap.  It’s a question of cost vs value.  I’ll reserve judgement on the team until I see the final form.  For me psssing on guys like Price, Landeskog and Tarsasenko makes total sense 

Larsson at 4x4 doesn't though. Eberle isn't that young either, with a longish contract.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Funny was just looking at some of the comments on IG. Lot of Seattle “fans” pissed and hope every pick was fake haha 

Makes me wonder though, are they leaving a lot of cap space available to sign a big UFA or offer sheet a RFA?

• Cheers 1