The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like Jim for the most part, but that reality of a 9 mil black hole in the cap prevents anything major from going on in free agency. Unless the announcement is Loui is doing the honourable thing and terminating there won't be much to discuss. 

I don't know that we want to move Nate unless its for a RHD replacement but again, not just anyone. I don't see Risto e.g. as an upgrade. 

Yes it sure does.  Timed the cores ascension off by one year.   I'm grateful we have a core though.   Draft balls didn't do us any favours, same with covid and flat cap.   Luongo is on MG BUT JB should have also factored that in.    We are close to competing but it won't be this year.    We could make the show but i'm glad he's not ruining all that drafting just to shed cap.   If he does that then i'm not going to be happy about JB one bit.   Timing is one year out.   We could still make the playoffs with this group - but no way i want to shed cap just to boost our chances given the cost.    Nonis had one of our best drafts ever his first crack at it, then meh to bad and MG six years were down right awful.   JB came to the rescue on that front.  

That said i'm waiting for a trade.  Can't build a team just on BPA.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sure, “we are keeping the 9OA”.  

There ya go! :towel:

can you scoot up to Rogers to confirm? 

Man looking at what Hyman is getting and Oleksiak, we just have to wait for the secondary UFA market anyway. Silly season is upon us yet again.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes it sure does.  Timed the cores ascension off by one year.   I'm grateful we have a core though.   Draft balls didn't do us any favours, same with covid and flat cap.   Luongo is on MG BUT JB should have also factored that in.    We are close to competing but it won't be this year.    We could make the show but i'm glad he's not ruining all that drafting just to shed cap.   If he does that then i'm not going to be happy about JB one bit.   Timing is one year out.   We could still make the playoffs with this group - but no way i want to shed cap just to boost our chances given the cost.    Nonis had one of our best drafts ever his first crack at it, then meh to bad and MG six years were down right awful.   JB came to the rescue on that front.  

I'm even fine keeping Holtby if it means losing assets or keeping significant money to move him (>500k). I think it was the hockey guy maybe taking about needing a backup that can get you 10 wins in order to make the playoffs. Holtby isn't what he used to be, but he can get us that and thats all we need out of him if Demko is ready. 

And who knows, maybe there's a 1 mil steal out there that pays off. Maybe Anisimov for C depth wakes up playing with Podkolzin. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm even fine keeping Holtby if it means losing assets or keeping significant money to move him (>500k). I think it was the hockey guy maybe taking about needing a backup that can get you 10 wins in order to make the playoffs. Holtby isn't what he used to be, but he can get us that and thats all we need out of him if Demko is ready. 

And who knows, maybe there's a 1 mil steal out there that pays off. Maybe Anisimov for C depth wakes up playing with Podkolzin. 

I'm happy to keep Holbty too.    I've looked at what's available and maybe we could do better with a buyout but it won't be a massive savings all considered.   Always got that his contract was purely insurance if Demko needed more time.    

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, it was the owners who want to keep Benning, so the owners should be willing to buy out as many players as needed, so Benning can fix this mess he created. Open the wallets Aquas.

It's only a mess this year.   I can live with that. 

Edit:  Plus anyone complaining about this mess - has no right to b!tch about not retaining Markstrom, Tanev or TT.    Imagine the mess we'd be in now if we did even one of them too.    Worse.  And lose Hogs/Podz plus plus.   lol..At the start of this season man we're people grumpy about not retaining Markstrom.    That stopped.  I'm hoping the TT fan club stops once Podz arrives too, but seriously Hogs was way better bang for the back then TT already.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Well, if they tank again for the 25th year in a row (just feels like it), then I guess VAN will get another high draft pick next year. Not so bad I guess, supposed to be a good Draft. Just got to hope Benning doesn't trade half the picks before Draft Day 2022.  The 3rd is already gone.  Thanks Nate.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, if they tank again for the 25th year in a row (just feels like it), then I guess VAN will get another high draft pick next year. Not so bad I guess, supposed to be a good Draft. Just got to hope Benning doesn't trade half the picks before Draft Day 2022.  The 3rd is already gone.  Thanks Nate.

Oh no we lost TWO thirds.   For roster players.    Proven ones at that.   Pray tell, what do you think the odds of a third being as good as Vey are?   

Edit: 12.5% ... Edler i guess could make people happy he was our last third that had a great career.   How many years ago was that again?  Schmidt and Dickinson for 3rds - that's how you improve a roster. 

Edit:  What is wrong with sucking this year or making the playoffs?  Nothing.   Both help the team. I've said it enough where i think my throat is getting dry - if you want to complain, send all complaints to the the NHL and NHLPA for agreeing on endless expansion.   Basic arithmetic now says, and like flipping a coin odds are the same every single time, that the Canucks win ONE cup every 32 years now.

Edit:  And recent history shows, it takes a decade for a former top team to climb out of the ashes and become relevant again.   We are in year six so a little ahead of schedule.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

No need to listen to it.

”We have been working the phones and are always looking at ways to improve the team.  It is hard to makes trades and move money with the market the way it is.  There weren’t any deals that made sense for us.  We will still be looking at players to improve the team.  We expect most of our improvement to come internally with players pushing for a roster spot.  We are working towards deals with our RFAs.  All the stories by by media are made up, even the ones confirmed by players who have left.  Everything is good and all the players want to be here.”

Edited by Provost
  • RoughGame 5

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  Plus anyone complaining about this mess - has no right to b!tch about not retaining Markstrom, Tanev or TT.    Imagine the mess we'd be in now if we did even one of them too.    Worse.  And lose Hogs/Podz plus plus.   lol..At the start of this season man we're people grumpy about not retaining Markstrom.    That stopped.  I'm hoping the TT fan club stops once Podz arrives too, but seriously Hogs was way better bang for the back then TT already.  

That is a BS argument.

Toffoli and a slightly less expensive back up instead of Virtanen and Holtby would put us in a better position than we are now.

Tanev was also better than Schmidt.  No idea if that will be the case by the end of their respective contracts, but it was definitely the case last year.  It may also have had a much different impact in the room… we can’t know that part.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/06/25/evaluating-what-the-calgary-flames-should-do-with-chris-tanev/

We are short top six forwards, making a false choice between Hoglander and Toffoli is disingenuous… you can have both.

Good teams also have good players on their 3rd lines.  There is a weird obsession here with making sure any player who is decent would be misplaced on a 3rd line.  If we had the cap space, a 3rd line of players like Pearson-Miller-Podkolzin isn’t a bad thing believe it or not…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is a BS argument.

Toffoli and a slightly less expensive back up instead of Virtanen and Holtby would put us in a better position than we are now.

Tanev was also better than Schmidt.  No idea if that will be the case by the end of their respective contracts, but it was definitely the case last year.  It may also have had a much different impact in the room… we can’t know that part.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/06/25/evaluating-what-the-calgary-flames-should-do-with-chris-tanev/

We are short top six forwards, making a false choice between Hoglander and Toffoli is disingenuous… you can have both.

Good teams also have good players on their 3rd lines.  There is a weird obsession here with making sure any player who is decent would be misplaced on a 3rd line.  If we had the cap space, a 3rd line of players like Pearson-Miller-Podkolzin isn’t a bad thing believe it or not…

Please, keep crying about it like you always do.

• Cheers 1

"We have one more year and some contracts come off the books, like the Luongo recapture penalty, so we'll be looking to be more aggressive after this season. We really need to shed some salary, but with COVID we just couldn't do that. But, we feel with Podkolzin joining the team and Rathbone and Juolevi looking to take another step, we'll be competitive"

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Go back to Gillis' interviews. A lot of hot air saying nothing. And him sitting in front of a camera and sweating. I think the media gave up after a while. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I always thought Gillis looked like an over ripe, just washed tomato.

I would for sure rather watch and listen to honest Jim over sweating, conniving, red-faced Gillis, lol.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

But he did, it'll happen next year like you said.