The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Just now, IBatch said:

We simply don't have the cap space for a 9th overall to get traded for a player not on a second deal that's team friendly or for a guy like Reinhardt plus one of LE, Myers, Schmidt, EP, BB or QHs out.   

Schmidt and Myers aren't going anywhere.   LE is a pipe dream.    Leaves  3 out of 4 untouchable guys (Demko is the other) and Miller.   Might be boring but pretty sure we keep our 9th tomorrow.   That's ok! 

Hence, back to my one of my past ideas:  If Benning doesn’t get the guy he wants in the draft, maybe he explores using the 9th as a sweetener to move 9 million in cap space (Eriksson + one of Beagle or Roussel), followed by taking a more proactive approach in the UFA market.

• RoughGame 3

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Hence, back to my one of my past ideas:  If Benning doesn’t get the guy he wants in the draft, maybe he explores using the 9th as a sweetener to move 9 million in cap space (Eriksson + one of Beagle or Roussel), followed by taking a more proactive approach in the UFA market.

No.    It's not worth it.   9th overalls often turn into useful players and this draft isn't expected to be any different despite the limited sample size.   I'm ok with this deal IF we win the Hamilton sweepstakes, he's the only guy worth it. Adding two mediocre UFAs just to support our core seems like moving backwards.   We still need a pool of high end prospects coming in.   We already got a one year gap in last season.   We'd be better off moving Miller to gain cap, add a pick and prospect  and re-setting the rebuilt around EP, then spending that money wisely.    The cap will all go away next year anyways.   And with flat cap still being an issue, we could finally be in a position of power on that front. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Id rather keep the picks and we still need a 4c.

Think Dickinson and Motte will be used this year if we don't see another trade or signing.   And EP/Miller/Horvat could also be used ... feel that's where we are going by adding Podz, Dickinson to the mix. 

• Vintage 1

He said that we have enough cap to match any offer sheet to Pettersson. If he does get an offer sheet, I hope he doesn't sign and instead uses it as a starting point for tweaking the contract. Or better yet, get it done asap.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So what age, according to Benning, is young?  Bo is 26.  He’s moving forward with our team.  Rhino is 26 too.  Is he young in Benning’s world?  Rin Tool needed to pin Benning down to an actual age.  If we trade 9OA for a 26 year old Rhino, is that a young guy?  

"A player that fits in with this group".

I don't like the sounds of that!

• RoughGame 2

Good save by Benning when asked about the possibility of Brandt Clarke being there at #9. He almost let it slip that Clarke probably won't be there at #9, but instead went on to explain that's he's very skilled etc. Being the best RD in the Draft, I'm pretty sure VAN isn't getting Clarke. Unfortunate. 

27 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Bring Khaira home! The crown and coke sales would be exponential when he scores/fights/has a big hit. 

I have always liked watching how he plays. 
Someone else can answer analytic questions on him, he seems like big, solid, tough player if not the most mobile. 
think would be decent depth guy 12-13th forward that could be very popular in Van. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

The Flyers were able to move Ghost and so the Canucks should be able to move Roussel and Beagle if they really want to. 

The Flyers are desperate to win after hurrying up the build. Not us. It would be dumb to waste assets to do slightly better next year and then have no roster space or cap when it counts.