The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, JohnTavares said:

@-DLC-

Still harrassing me about John Tavares.

Gonna do something? 

I’m following your logic.  You said OEL, being over 30, must be on decline.  So, following that logic, JT must be on decline.  And since OEL is paid 4 mil (by us) less per season, the JT must be the worse contract.  Why is it we can criticize our players but not other teams’ players?  

• There it is 2

19 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Say we never traded for OEL and Garland, you can bet your ass we would have spent that money on Klingberg long-term along with another bloated contract. So let's not blame, for example, OEL for being so strapped. It's the direction of ownership.

This team has needed to pump the brakes for awhile now - at a certain point the core needs to take the next step before we worry about adding.

I wasn’t in favour of the OEL deal but now that it’s done, there’s no sense in blaming him and his contract for the team.  Just like how when we finally got rid of Loui, Roussel and Beagle we didn’t magically get better.  (And OEL and Garland’s play last year especially was miles better than them.)  

It’s a team thing. They need to buy in before anything gets better IMO.

35 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Klingberg is on a 1 year deal. We'd have to pay a ton to trade OEL for Klingberg.

My point was more that if we weren’t paying OEL we’d likely have chased Klingberg or someone like him - and for a lot longer than 1 year.  Teams generally don’t trade top 4 d men and in UFA they go to contenders or for a premium. 

32 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

1 year contract though. 

I don't hate OEL, I think he is a decent player. Right now he is a bit overpaid but let’s be honest he holds pretty substantial negative value. Garland right now has no value either. So we traded a top 10 pick and a 2nd round pick (with some awesome RHD available at that spot) for significant negative value and nothing to show for it. 

I don’t disagree with this, but now that you have Garland and OEL it is what it is. 

They make the cap situation less flexible but they can play.  The hope is (was) now that those two are locked in you move other pieces (Miller!) and look for value there.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

You constantly say OEL performed well last year... you know it's the same head coach and the same "structure".

You know that right?  

So OEL went from a #3/4 last year to a bottom pairing defenseman this year due to the same structure and coach that we had last year? Make that make sense for me bro.

We lost Shaw this offseason - famous for his defensive acumen.  Who took our Pk from dead last to top 10 when the switch happened.  Maybe that had an effect.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well either way it's looking like this isn't a good deal the Canucks made. In the end OEL was supposed to help make this team better (even Benning sold him as a #1 dman) but if he's already getting worse 2nd year in, I don't see how he can make the team any better anymore 

Plus the "A" means you are part of the leadership of the team. As Hansen said recently it's the players that's supposed to police each other and I assume the leaders in the team holds most of this responsibility 

I just think that OEL was the wrong player at the wrong time to bring in

Also selling OEL as your #1 playing the same side as Hughes?

Schenn although paid less is a player suited for wearing an A over OEL (like Alex Burrows) he was overlooked for Benn and then returned on his own  and plays for and stands up for his team and looks to be a good leader (Although i can see the Canucks moving him at TDL)

Just now, ilduce39 said:

We lost Shaw this offseason - famous for his defensive acumen.  Who took our Pk from dead last to top 10 when the switch happened.  Maybe that had an effect.

Team's also playing worse than the 2nd half of last season (and even that was inflated/masked by Demko covering a lot of warts). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m following your logic.  You said OEL, being over 30, must be on decline.  So, following that logic, JT must be on decline.  And since OEL is paid 4 mil (by us) less per season, the JT must be the worse contract.  Why is it we can criticize our players but not other teams’ players?  

Still harassing me about my username.

Deb are you really not going to do anything?  Wow.  Unreal.

8 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Let's just put it very simply. Footspeed is one of the most valuable and coveted assets in the NHL, and we're paying a massive premium for a guy who lacks footspeed in abundance.

It's really clear who's watching the games and who's not.

OEL's lack of footspeed is a massive issue right now. No amount of structure or systems will suddenly make him a top pairing defenseman again.

The best hope we can have for OEL is to acquire a #2LD so that OEL can play in a comfortable/sheltered third pairing role and hopefully he will be able to provide some value back to the team.  If he can provide mentorship/leadership and stabilize a third pair then that's all we can ask for at this point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Team's also playing worse than the 2nd half of last season (and even that was inflated/masked by Demko covering a lot of warts). 

Yeah I tend to think Demko was our best PKer last season & his impact was significantly more than what Shaw brought.  Just my opinion (worth no more than anyone else here).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And he lacks foot speed and is way overpaid.  There are several guys with bad contracts.  OEL is down the list.  Karlsson and 

Tavares are at the top.  

Karlsson has 42pts in 34 games and +8 on a god awful Sharks team. Had injury issues the last couple seasons but he’s earning his contract right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Pyjama boy sucks though. 

What does John Tavares have to do with this discussion/conversation at all despite my username being JohnTavares?

If this isn't incessant trolling, I don't know what is.  

Mods ain't gonna do anything though cus I'm the villain here.

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

What does John Tavares have to do with this discussion/conversation at all despite my username being JohnTavares?

If this isn't incessant trolling, I don't know what is.  

Mods ain't gonna do anything though cus I'm the villain here.

I’m sorry patting yourself on the back and basically calling people stupid has led to backlash. No idea how that happened, it’s a mystery. One of life's greatest mysteries really. :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1