The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I look at it as he identified dead cap in the lineup, and did what he needed to do to move it out, while also gaining useful players in return.

You need to realize MOST cap dumps are 1st round picks going the other way, and next to nothing coming back.  The fact he was able to dump LE, Roussel, and Beagle with a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick, while bringing back Garland and OEL is pretty savvy. 

That doesn’t suit the narrative of Benning bad everyone else good though. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Like I said before, if signing Holtby helped in the development of Demko in any shape or form, then he was worth it.  I don't have an issue at all given how Demko turned out. 

No evidence to suggest that Demko wouldn't have developed just the same with any other backup. He has had the development curve to suggest that, which started long before he had ever met Holtby.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

No evidence to suggest that Demko wouldn't have developed just the same with any other backup. He has had the development curve to suggest that, which started long before he had ever met Holtby.

Well, the reason they went and got Holtby was primarily to help shoulder the load with Demko.  That was clear as day when the signing occurred.  I trust that was the right decision, and like I said, if it had any tiny ounce of traction in helping Demko develop into the goaltender he is today, then job well done. 

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I look at it as he identified dead cap in the lineup, and did what he needed to do to move it out, while also gaining useful players in return.

You need to realize MOST cap dumps are 1st round picks going the other way, and next to nothing coming back.  The fact he was able to dump LE, Roussel, and Beagle with a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick, while bringing back Garland and OEL is pretty savvy. 

I actually like both players, but we can agree to disagree on the savviness of the trade.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That doesn’t suit the narrative of Benning bad everyone else good though. 

True... and I think the rule is that we cannot give credit to Benning for building this current Canucks team that is playing nearly .700 hockey for just under half a season now.  Benning BAD.  BAD BAD BAD.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I actually like both players, but we can agree to disagree on the savviness of the trade.

I'm always good with agreeing to disagree.  There's no way we can all agree on the same thing... otherwise I'd have nothing to do at work while surfing CDC :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, the reason they went and got Holtby was primarily to help shoulder the load with Demko.  That was clear as day when the signing occurred.  I trust that was the right decision, and like I said, if it had any tiny ounce of traction in helping Demko develop into the goaltender he is today, then job well done. 

And I trust that we gave up (to a rival) one of our best and most important players (Tanev) for someone who performed at a replacement level that they had to buy-out after one year.

The fact that you try to spin this as a positive tells the whole story.

Edited by kanucks25

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

You almost make it sound like him doing dumb things in a futile attempt to save his job (which he was crappy at) is commendable.

When the trade happened, some people were calling it a genius move. He dumped our 3 worst contracts, and got 2 positive contributors back. 

When our season torpedoed in the beginning, OEL and Garland seemed like the only guys who were trying. They've continued playing well, and were part of us righting the ship.

Our slow start was because of an underperforming core, not because of these guys. If we make the playoffs, I don't want to hear people complain about this trade.

Edited by Nave
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Nave said:

When the trade happened, some people were calling it a genius move.

Those people are pretty exclusive to this forum.

The same forum that supported literal garbage for over 7 years.

So take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by kanucks25

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

And I trust that we gave up (to a rival) one of our best and most important players (Tanev) for someone who performed at a replacement level that they had to buy-out after one year.

The fact that you try to spin this as a positive tells the whole story.

I just think there's more to the story than what everyone clamours onto.  Like I said before, GMJB was clearly looking to pry OEL and Garland out of ARZ.  He must have been close because it happened eventually, just too late because he ended up losing Tanev and Toffoli without getting the replacements in OEL and Garland until the following season.  If the ARZ trade happened when it was rumoured to be, we would not have even seen the Schmidt trade. 

30 minutes ago, Nave said:

Benning did what he had to do to try and save his job. If he kept Loui, Beagle, and Roussel on the books, he would have been fired. It's easy for us to say he should have waited one more year, but ownership was not that patient. 

Yeah but he signed them in the first place so that's still on him 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

GMs make mistakes.  I'll take a GM that identifies mistakes and does something to fix it.  Look out, because Jim Rutherford is known to do this... a LOT.  Why do you think he makes so many trades? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

GMs make mistakes.  I'll take a GM that identifies mistakes and does something to fix it.  Look out, because Jim Rutherford is known to do this... a LOT.  Why do you think he makes so many trades? 

Yeah but he's also won 3 cups as GM. If he gets the Canucks at least one he can sign 10 LE and trade for 5 Gudbransson and we'd be fine with it for some years 

Edit case in point no one's really complaining about Dustin Brown's contract

Edited by iinatcc

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Those people are pretty exclusive to this forum.

Because detractors hated the OEL contract. He's played well this season, and is a leader on the team. We can revisit this trade down the road.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I agree with you. But every GM makes mistakes. He showed that he was able to recognize that, and try to rectify them.

I'm not saying that his mistakes didn't cost him. In fact, that is the opposite of what I'm saying. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

Yeah but he's also won 3 cups as GM. If he gets the Canucks at least one he can sign 10 LE and trade for 5 Gudbransson and we'd be fine with it for some years 

That's fine by me, but it doesn't mean what GMJB was doing was wrong either.  If anything it shows that he was doing the right thing by fixing mistakes.  Don't look now, but this current hockey team playing nearly .700 hockey for months now is the team that GMJB put together. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

True... and I think the rule is that we cannot give credit to Benning for building this current Canucks team that is playing nearly .700 hockey for just under half a season now.  Benning BAD.  BAD BAD BAD.

Imagine... in an alternative universe if you may. The Canucks don't make any moves at the deadline, go on an absolute run and win the stanley cup. Does JB win GM of the year posthumous? :Pmood GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Imagine... in an alternative universe if you may. The Canucks don't make any moves at the deadline, go on an absolute run and win the stanley cup. Does JB win GM of the year posthumous? :Pmood GIF

Ain’t happening with Travis Green as head coach.  Took him 7 years and counting & he still couldn’t hire a NHL head coach.