The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conor Garland | #8 | RW/LW

-AJ-

40 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

I wonder how he’d respond to more responsibility and a bigger role at 3C. 

As far as I know, Garland has no NHL history at centre, so I doubt they move him there. It would make more sense to use Joshua as a C and try him in that role, since he's a solid faceoff man and has shown flashes of 3rd line scoring.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Imagine being a team that has cap space right now. You could get Garland, a highly effective middle 6 player not for free, but you would get PAID PICKS to take him.

Incredible. 

Thanks Benning :picard:

I find it hard to believe that Garland is negative value but that's how important cap is. His 5M deal was signed ages ago as well and hasn't aged well. 7-8M for OEL back in the day was a lot but look at these star defencemen getting 9-10M nowadays and Hughes on a 7M deal. None of it adds up.

Garland at just under 5M isn't horrendous, it's just one winger too many right now for us. If we have to add a couple of picks to move Garland, I'd rather keep him and trade Beauvillier who again, you'd like to think has positive value in the scheme of things. The real issue is not many teams have cap space and these guys are young wingers who would ideally go towards a playoff team. If they're going to a retooling/rebuilding team, they'll happily eat our picks. I wonder if there's a lateral trade out there. 

Goodrow for Garland is an idea, not great because Goodrow is rubbish at faceoffs, 30+ and signed to a long deal, and only really a 30pt scorer, but he fills a positional need for us and could elevate his game a bit to play 3C minutes. We get around 1.5M in cap relief, NYR get a young winger to replace Tarasenko/Kane for a few years going forward and rid themselves of an older guy.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I find it hard to believe that Garland is negative value but that's how important cap is. His 5M deal was signed ages ago as well and hasn't aged well. 7-8M for OEL back in the day was a lot but look at these star defencemen getting 9-10M nowadays and Hughes on a 7M deal. None of it adds up.

Garland at just under 5M isn't horrendous, it's just one winger too many right now for us. If we have to add a couple of picks to move Garland, I'd rather keep him and trade Beauvillier who again, you'd like to think has positive value in the scheme of things. The real issue is not many teams have cap space and these guys are young wingers who would ideally go towards a playoff team. If they're going to a retooling/rebuilding team, they'll happily eat our picks. I wonder if there's a lateral trade out there. 

Goodrow for Garland is an idea, not great because Goodrow is rubbish at faceoffs, 30+ and signed to a long deal, and only really a 30pt scorer, but he fills a positional need for us and could elevate his game a bit to play 3C minutes. We get around 1.5M in cap relief, NYR get a young winger to replace Tarasenko/Kane for a few years going forward and rid themselves of an older guy.

IMHO the better teams like Florida, Carolina and Seattle the higher value players on 3rd and 4th lines will grow. Offense is necessary but shutdown players who can be effective over 200' are essential. As much as Garland has not benefited from his time here the past 2 years I question how valued he will be. He haas demonstrated an offensive ability so maybe some team can see a spot for them. 

Garland is a bit of an odd player. He's a high energy guy with high compete level who usually has very good 5v5 metrics, but he does hit much, for some strange reason isn't very effective on the PP, and he doesn't PK.

As a fan he's easy to get behind because you can see how hard he works and it's fun to watch him play keep away against guys much bigger than him. But he is a complementary player and at this point GMs are looking for complementary players that can provide more than one role on a team and ideally contribute to special teams.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO the better teams like Florida, Carolina and Seattle the higher value players on 3rd and 4th lines will grow. Offense is necessary but shutdown players who can be effective over 200' are essential. As much as Garland has not benefited from his time here the past 2 years I question how valued he will be. He haas demonstrated an offensive ability so maybe some team can see a spot for them. 

Yeah this is it, the problem is he's just about 1 or so mil too expensive for contending teams. He's a fantastic 3rd line winger but most teams in the playoffs are so strapped for cash because they have a super expensive core or top guys, they can't afford to throw 5M at a 3rd liner. Just look at Toronto's terrible cap structure, everyone except for their big 4 or 5 are on a cap hit of 2M or under. They're not alone, a lot of other playoff teams are similar. They could afford 5M for a 2nd line winger but Garland just isn't scoring enough for that.

It's a shame he's not a fantastic PKer, he's alright but he really should be better for the player he is - then he'd add some massive value to his game. If he could just hit 20 goals and be a good PKer, he'd be worth 5M for sure. Problem is he's consistently never been a consistent scorer.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah this is it, the problem is he's just about 1 or so mil too expensive for contending teams. He's a fantastic 3rd line winger but most teams in the playoffs are so strapped for cash because they have a super expensive core or top guys, they can't afford to throw 5M at a 3rd liner. Just look at Toronto's terrible cap structure, everyone except for their big 4 or 5 are on a cap hit of 2M or under. They're not alone, a lot of other playoff teams are similar. They could afford 5M for a 2nd line winger but Garland just isn't scoring enough for that.

It's a shame he's not a fantastic PKer, he's alright but he really should be better for the player he is - then he'd add some massive value to his game. If he could just hit 20 goals and be a good PKer, he'd be worth 5M for sure. Problem is he's consistently never been a consistent scorer.

Maybe some Cap retention if they throw a draft pick or prospect in as a return? 

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Garland is a bit of an odd player. He's a high energy guy with high compete level who usually has very good 5v5 metrics, but he does hit much, for some strange reason isn't very effective on the PP, and he doesn't PK.

As a fan he's easy to get behind because you can see how hard he works and it's fun to watch him play keep away against guys much bigger than him. But he is a complementary player and at this point GMs are looking for complementary players that can provide more than one role on a team and ideally contribute to special teams.

This almost exactly echoes my sentiments on Garland. It's rather bizarre that he doesn't perform on special teams (he doesn't PK at all and isn't effective on the PP). Adding either PK skills or improving his PP results would significantly improve his value I think. Some strong PP results would push him closer to the 60-point mark he's shown he can approach in the past, at which point, he's in the realm of a solid 2nd line winger.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This almost exactly echoes my sentiments on Garland. It's rather bizarre that he doesn't perform on special teams (he doesn't PK at all and isn't effective on the PP). Adding either PK skills or improving his PP results would significantly improve his value I think. Some strong PP results would push him closer to the 60-point mark he's shown he can approach in the past, at which point, he's in the realm of a solid 2nd line winger.

Garland's 12 PP pts this season is actually pretty decent considering he only averaged 1:32 of PP time per game, most of that time being on the 2nd unit PP.

Garland - 1:32 PP time/gm * 81 games = 124 minutes 12 seconds, divide that by 12 PP pts = 1 PP point every 10 minutes 21 seconds

Miller - 3:59 PP time/gm * 81 games = 322 minutes 39 seconds, divide that by 30 PP pts = 1 PP point every 10 minutes 45 seconds

Pettersson - 3:50 PP time/gm * 80 games = 306 minutes 40 seconds, divide that by 25 PP pts = 1 PP point every 12 minutes 16 seconds

• Thanks 1