The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 5/5/2022 at 12:26 AM, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo. 
Yes of course fully aware its your private assessment, but you do put a lot of time and effort into it, so its good to see...

Haven't got time or proper knowledge to assess young players so its really exciting to see hear, whom we should look towards come draft day, and whom we could draft that would either supplement this group in 2-3 years or if there is an elusive dman that could become a stalward for us in the future, all be it probably further down the line...

It folks like yourself and other good posters here, that makes draft day interesting for the us mere mortals. 

I don't think we will be drafting a dman unfortunately. I think, they'll be looking towards a forward that can likely join the team sooner, as they need ELC entries to keep under the cap, while riding EP, QH and Bo. 
Hope I'm wrong though and they finally start building from the back end.... Or do you gamble on a russian? We did with Benning and looks like we won that one. 
Like that there seems to be good players all over the shop, so should be able to come away with smiles on our faces...

Cheers. 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, theo5789 said:

Is the Russian factor as big of a deal when he's already playing in NA (CHL)?

I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough to rank drafting prospects, but the aversion to Russian players is going to be exacerbated this draft for obvious reasons. I don’t want to turn this thread into another discussion on the topic, but reality must be acknowledged. You could take a risk on someone that falls, but there’s external factors that might make that decision blow up in your face that must be considered this time around. Look at the pushback OV got for not condemning Putin in his media appearance as well as keeping his social media picture that’s supportive of the Russian regime. 

Imagine a worse example: if a drafted Russian player said they supported Putin’s invasion or posted a Z to social media or said Ukrainians were neo-nazis or said something like that in conversation with team mates? Of course this is an extreme example, but one that’s eminently possible, especially in the age of social media and from a person coming from a country where propaganda brainwashing is the norm. These are real risks to any team drafting Russian players this year. It could be a pr and team nightmare not to mention creating divisions amongst players and management when unity is needed to have success as an organization.

I always like buying low like we did with Podkolzin, but this is just a game for entertainment and other things are far more important to me.  Personally I feel torn on this subject myself on the risk vs reward and morally. I hope I’m not the only one struggling with this topic.

• Cheers 1

I know you have to go after the BPA but when you look at the defencemen in our prospect pool, it's bare. 13-18th overall is usually a nice spot for a defenceman to be honest. There's a lot of good players, but a lot of good puck moving defenceman in this range too.

Mintyukov, Korchinski, Mateychuk were all PPG scorers in junion and the first two have good size and play a good all-round game, but they'll probably go a bit higher. If one of them are around when we draft we should jump all over Mintyukov or Korchinski. Mateychuk is a smaller guy, good offensive ability and looks like he has a good defensive stick but lacks size and physicality. 

From Europe I don't know much about Nemec and Jiricek but they're ranked quite highly as International defencemen so would really depend on how our future scouts see them.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:13 PM, hammertime said:

Appreciate the nodd.

I'm in full on work mode training greeners up for the season of forestry appraisals. Trying my best to work life balance with family. Haven't had much time for prospect watching lately. One number that really stood out without watching the games yet was Kulich 39 shots in 6 games seems like a fake made up number lol. Curious on your impressions of him.

Looks like Mcgroarty did his job in tight 8G 1A sounds to me like a guy who planted himself infront of the net and buried greasy ones. looking forward to watching him and seeing how he got his point's.  

Is Lutz a sleeper in this draft?

Man I've seen painfully little of Lutz, as I suspect is the case for most people. Looks like he could be good. Would he have been a first rounder if he'd played more hockey?

On McGroarty actually I think you'd be surprised how much he created. He's one of those guys who makes plays so quickly off a turnover it makes your head spin. Has the combination of strength, deceptive skating, and stick skills to take the puck from the corner to the front of the net in a few strides. Scored on a couple blistering one-timers from the circle.

I can't remember which Czech game that was but at one point they had something like 3 minutes of powerplay which included a full two minutes was 5 on 3. They were looking for Kulich at every chance they could get. He was just clapping one timers from all over the ice. I remember he had at least 5 shots on net, and it must have been 10 or 15 shots attempted at the net, over that short span. Dude is up there with Kemell and Lekkerimaki for best shots in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Isam said:

Not yet. Work and stuff, but a name to watch is sam rinzel off the waterloo blackhawks. He might be the best player to come out of  minnesota in a long time.

Just looking at Rinzel’s draft rankings, and he looks like a guy who will likely go late first to early second.  Maybe, if he’s on our list, we could trade down, add a 3rd and still get him between 25 and 35?  

I really liked Morrow last year, and wasn’t surprised he went just before we picked.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just looking at Rinzel’s draft rankings, and he looks like a guy who will likely go late first to early second.  Maybe, if he’s on our list, we could trade down, add a 3rd and still get him between 25 and 35?  

I really liked Morrow last year, and wasn’t surprised he went just before we picked.  

This guy has more talent then morrow

7 minutes ago, Isam said:

This guy has more talent then morrow

Maybe picking him @ 15 is a good move then?  If we add another first (late:  20-25) in a Miller deal then we get two guys with big futures.  

Alright I caught up a bit on things and I feel energized to do a mock so here goes. 

1 Habs: Wright -They need him though I think Slafkovski has higher upside but Wright is the foundational piece to start a rebuild. Their Bo Horvat if you will. 

2 Yotes: Nemec - Much the same Arizona is doing a full re build. You start with the foundation. 

3 Seattle: Slafkovski -They need that big upside player I think they would be within reason to take him 1st OA if they had the pick.

4 Philly: Gauthier - Could he be any more prototypical Flyer.

5 NJD: Cooley - that NJD team is going to be dangerous in a few years.

6 CBJ: Jiricek - BPA I think he goes top 4 if he hadn't buggered his knee. 

7 Sens: Lekkerimki - Every time I watch Lekkerimaki I draw comparisons to Daniel Alferdson for whatever reason I see Lekkerimaki as a Sen just a gut feel.

8 Det: Bichsel - Stevie shocks the world with Sieder, then again with Cossa he's got a vision of what he's building and I think Bichsel is his guy maybe he doesn't take him at 8 or maybe he does? But I think he gets him.

9 Buffalo: Geekie - Fits the trend of guys they have been adding in Tuch, Cozens, Thompson.

10 Dux: Kemell - Mctavish to Zegras to Kemell writes it's self. 

11 Sharts: Korchinski - Boy do they need to get out from under Burns/Karlsson's contracts. 

12 CBJ: Savoie - Just can't see him going any later than this. 

13 NYI: Kaspar - He's who I'd take. FWIW

14 Jets: McGroarty - Engage thrusters!

This leaves us Lambert/Yurov both high risk high reward or maybe a higher floor guy in Kulich. I think we take Lambert. If JR is serious about getting faster we take Lambert. Personally I'd take the Russian risk with Yurov or trade down for Beck + Lamoureux. 

*This is just a for fun prediction. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:59 AM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough to rank drafting prospects, but the aversion to Russian players is going to be exacerbated this draft for obvious reasons. I don’t want to turn this thread into another discussion on the topic, but reality must be acknowledged. You could take a risk on someone that falls, but there’s external factors that might make that decision blow up in your face that must be considered this time around. Look at the pushback OV got for not condemning Putin in his media appearance as well as keeping his social media picture that’s supportive of the Russian regime. 

Imagine a worse example: if a drafted Russian player said they supported Putin’s invasion or posted a Z to social media or said Ukrainians were neo-nazis or said something like that in conversation with team mates? Of course this is an extreme example, but one that’s eminently possible, especially in the age of social media and from a person coming from a country where propaganda brainwashing is the norm. These are real risks to any team drafting Russian players this year. It could be a pr and team nightmare not to mention creating divisions amongst players and management when unity is needed to have success as an organization.

I always like buying low like we did with Podkolzin, but this is just a game for entertainment and other things are far more important to me.  Personally I feel torn on this subject myself on the risk vs reward and morally. I hope I’m not the only one struggling with this topic.

All very good points and definitely valid concerns... anyone drafting Russian players just now are playing with fire...

But there will be somebody breaking ranks and taking a flyer on those players, whether it will work remains to be seen. But definitely valid points.

• Cheers 1

Lian Bichsel VS Simon Edvinson

Bichsel

2021-22 1.png Leksands IF J20 J20 Nationell 11 3 4 7 6 -1 | Playoffs 1 0 0 0 2 -2
  1.png Leksands IF SHL 29 1 2 3 16 -6 |              
  31.png Switzerland U18 (all) “C” International-Jr 4 0 1 1 0 - |              
  31.png Switzerland U20 WJC-20 1 0 0 0 0 -1

Edvinsson

2020-21 1.png Frölunda HC J20 J20 Nationell 14 1 5 6 10 4 |              
  1.png Frölunda HC SHL 10 0 1 1 0 -3 | Playoffs 1 0 0 0 0 0
  1.png Västerås IK  HockeyAllsvenskan 14 0 5 5 0 0 | Qualification 6 1 2 3 8 1
  31.png Sweden U18 WJC-18 7 1 3 4 8 1 |              
  31.png Sweden U18 (all) International-Jr 8 1 4 5 8 0 |

I said it with Sieder and I'm saying it again with Bichsel he's ranked way lower than he's going to go. Dude has incredible skating for a kid at 6'5 220. He shoots left but often plays on the right. Every time I watch him play I cannot comprehend his draft ranking. 

Bichsel skating. 

The first clip is Rinzel whos also a very interesting prospect. The following one is Bichsel turning on the Jets to not only stop a breakaway but leave Georg Weigelt with PTSD 

So You wanna go 2 on 1?

IMO Bichsel is going to be an absolute force in the NHL when you combine his "speed, agility, power I am a big fan of these things". I think there is a real possibility he is the best defenseman in this draft class. Not taking anything away from Nemec or Jiricek but if Bichsel had a right shot he would be right there with them in the top 5.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Lian Bichsel VS Simon Edvinson

Bichsel

2021-22 1.png Leksands IF J20 J20 Nationell 11 3 4 7 6 -1 | Playoffs 1 0 0 0 2 -2
  1.png Leksands IF SHL 29 1 2 3 16 -6 |              
  31.png Switzerland U18 (all) “C” International-Jr 4 0 1 1 0 - |              
  31.png Switzerland U20 WJC-20 1 0 0 0 0 -1

Edvinsson

2020-21 1.png Frölunda HC J20 J20 Nationell 14 1 5 6 10 4 |              
  1.png Frölunda HC SHL 10 0 1 1 0 -3 | Playoffs 1 0 0 0 0 0
  1.png Västerås IK  HockeyAllsvenskan 14 0 5 5 0 0 | Qualification 6 1 2 3 8 1
  31.png Sweden U18 WJC-18 7 1 3 4 8 1 |              
  31.png Sweden U18 (all) International-Jr 8 1 4 5 8 0 |

I said it with Sieder and I'm saying it again with Bichsel he's ranked way lower than he's going to go. Dude has incredible skating for a kid at 6'5 220. He shoots left but often plays on the right. Every time I watch him play I cannot comprehend his draft ranking. 

Bichsel skating. 

The first clip is Rinzel whos also a very interesting prospect. The following one is Bichsel turning on the Jets to not only stop a breakaway but leave Georg Weigelt with PTSD 

So You wanna go 2 on 1?

IMO Bichsel is going to be an absolute force in the NHL when you combine his "speed, agility, power I am a big fan of these things". I think there is a real possibility he is the best defenseman in this draft class. Not taking anything away from Nemec or Jiricek but if Bichsel had a right shot he would be right there with them in the top 5.   

Will this monster be there when we pick at 15?  He’s a beast, who can skate, handle the puck, and is mean.  I like!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Will this monster be there when we pick at 15?  He’s a beast, who can skate, handle the puck, and is mean.  I like!  

I don't think so but I'm really hoping so. I'm going on record hitching my wagon to this kid. If he's there at 15 I might throw my shoulder out fist pumping. Hard to believe he's still 17. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

All very good points and definitely valid concerns... anyone drafting Russian players just now are playing with fire...

But there will be somebody breaking ranks and taking a flyer on those players, whether it will work remains to be seen. But definitely valid points.

I definitely agree with you that someone will take that risk. The potential reward is too great a temptation. We’ll have to see who that ends up being.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I definitely agree with you that someone will take that risk. The potential reward is too great a temptation. We’ll have to see who that ends up being.

Depending on who's left at 15 Yurov is a great pick he's a beast on the boards and can wire it like Petey. 

The Russian war isn't stopping every team in the league from trying to sign Kuzmenko. So I doubt it drops a top 5 player like Yurov further than 15. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Does anyone take Miroshnichenko in the first round?

Missing his entire 18-19 year old season certainly would hurt his development but if healthy he could still be an impact player. And what a comeback story that would be!

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Depending on who's left at 15 Yurov is a great pick he's a beast on the boards and can wire it like Petey. 

The Russian war isn't stopping every team in the league from trying to sign Kuzmenko. So I doubt it drops a top 5 player like Yurov further than 15. 

Big difference. Kuzmenko is a free asset. If Russians are suddenly banned from the NHL or something crazy, it didn't cost you anything. Using a top 15 draft pick is a lot more risk.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:22 PM, hammertime said:

Alright I caught up a bit on things and I feel energized to do a mock so here goes. 

1 Habs: Wright -They need him though I think Slafkovski has higher upside but Wright is the foundational piece to start a rebuild. Their Bo Horvat if you will. 

2 Yotes: Nemec - Much the same Arizona is doing a full re build. You start with the foundation. 

3 Seattle: Slafkovski -They need that big upside player I think they would be within reason to take him 1st OA if they had the pick.

4 Philly: Gauthier - Could he be any more prototypical Flyer.

5 NJD: Cooley - that NJD team is going to be dangerous in a few years.

6 CBJ: Jiricek - BPA I think he goes top 4 if he hadn't buggered his knee. 

7 Sens: Lekkerimki - Every time I watch Lekkerimaki I draw comparisons to Daniel Alferdson for whatever reason I see Lekkerimaki as a Sen just a gut feel.

8 Det: Bichsel - Stevie shocks the world with Sieder, then again with Cossa he's got a vision of what he's building and I think Bichsel is his guy maybe he doesn't take him at 8 or maybe he does? But I think he gets him.

9 Buffalo: Geekie - Fits the trend of guys they have been adding in Tuch, Cozens, Thompson.

10 Dux: Kemell - Mctavish to Zegras to Kemell writes it's self. 

11 Sharts: Korchinski - Boy do they need to get out from under Burns/Karlsson's contracts. 

12 CBJ: Savoie - Just can't see him going any later than this. 

13 NYI: Kaspar - He's who I'd take. FWIW

14 Jets: McGroarty - Engage thrusters!

This leaves us Lambert/Yurov both high risk high reward or maybe a higher floor guy in Kulich. I think we take Lambert. If JR is serious about getting faster we take Lambert. Personally I'd take the Russian risk with Yurov or trade down for Beck + Lamoureux. 

*This is just a for fun prediction. 

If Mintyukov or another top dman is available at 15 and pass, I’ll probably be choked. But ofc bpa on our board. 

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Does anyone take Miroshnichenko in the first round?

Missing his entire 18-19 year old season certainly would hurt his development but if healthy he could still be an impact player. And what a comeback story that would be!

I’m think Arizona or Montreal will take him with one of the picks they have end of 1st top of second. Depending on how he’s looking medically.

• Cheers 1