The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It would be awesome if we could move up to get Jiricek. Wonder if he'd be there at 7.

All it takes is two teams to choose players lower in the rankings than we are seeing. Its such an 'even' draft this year it could be very close to what we see in mock drafts or it could be all over the place...will be interesting to see for sure as there really is nobody who's separated themselves from the pack. Even Wright seems like a "well we think he's going to be good so...." vs clear cut best in the draft

Edited by NucknAsia

47 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It would be awesome if we could move up to get Jiricek. Wonder if he'd be there at 7.

It would be very risky to trade up to #7, assuming Jiricek is there (if that's their target).  I think Nemec will go Top 3, and once he's gone, another team might react and grab Jiricek.  I wonder, maybe the Canucks are interested in the #2 - to take Nemec, not Slafkovsky.  

Hughes - Nemec

On 6/6/2022 at 5:07 AM, Beary Sweet said:

Anyone down to see some drama this offseason especially during the draft when PA could dangle Miller? We could receive a king’s ransom like pair of high picks such as 1st, 2nd and a prospect for instance. There can be a variety of trade offers that can be put together. Hopefully we can stockpile picks while we can with the high end players we could be putting out on the market

NJD is the interesting team for me. They're too good to be drafting 2nd overall and have too many good individual pieces to still be so crap. I wonder if they're willing to stop rebuilding and make a big jump to complement their top guys like Hughes. To be honest they need depth and goaltending, but I wonder if they'd be keen on a big top guy like Miller to elevate their play. Miller for 2nd OA straight up? Maybe we throw in a pick? This would only happen if NJD admit they want to go for it and make other moves (eg. sign decent bonified UFA players who can help them now).

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-chesley-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Ryan Chesley would be a perfect pick at #15  He's a slam dunk 

Screenshot (11).png

Uh... have you watched Ches play? He shouldn't go in the top 30, let alone the top 15. His ineptitude from the o blueline in, along with his skating—which is NOT NHL-ready—makes him chase the play a good 69% of the time.

Solid option in round 2-3 is my take. He's really forgettable. When you watch games, you're looking for guys in the game that catch your eye and are like "wow, who's that?"

Ryan Chesley is not one of those players...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

NJD is the interesting team for me. They're too good to be drafting 2nd overall and have too many good individual pieces to still be so crap. I wonder if they're willing to stop rebuilding and make a big jump to complement their top guys like Hughes. To be honest they need depth and goaltending, but I wonder if they'd be keen on a big top guy like Miller to elevate their play. Miller for 2nd OA straight up? Maybe we throw in a pick? This would only happen if NJD admit they want to go for it and make other moves (eg. sign decent bonified UFA players who can help them now).

This sounds far more likely to me, should NJD be interested in Miller... 

See a lot of suggestions of how much we are going get back for Miller, but if we could trade Miller for 2OA, I would be dancing for joy...

8 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Uh... have you watched Ches play? He shouldn't go in the top 30, let alone the top 15. His ineptitude from the o blueline in, along with his skating—which is NOT NHL-ready—makes him chase the play a good 69% of the time.

Solid option in round 2-3 is my take. He's really forgettable. When you watch games, you're looking for guys in the game that catch your eye and are like "wow, who's that?"

isn't he ranked around 20-25? a bit of a reach for us for sure..but I don't think he's seen as poor as you suggest.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Happy The Office GIF by Cameo

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Mckeens top 32:

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-hockey-2022-nhl-draft-final-rankings-top-32/

Pretty standard list, 

has Kulich pegged for 15 with Mateychuk still on the board 

lowest I’ve seen Kasper in awhile, listening to Mocks most have Kasper around the 10-16 spot 

Mcgroarty isn’t in the first round 

Just curious, with many widely varying rankings and mocks, which do people trust the most or find most realistic?

It seems almost for everyone, most decisions are understandable, but then there are select players that just seem wildly out of place from one ranking to another.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Just curious, with many widely varying rankings and mocks, which do people trust the most or find most realistic?

It seems almost for everyone, most decisions are understandable, but then there are select players that just seem wildly out of place from one ranking to another.

Craig Button has been at or near the top of most accurate for a while. 

These should give you an idea of which scouts are more accurate:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft/2018-nhl-draft-rankings

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

NHL.com 

Adam Kimmelman has us taking Chesley at 15

Mike Morreale Edmonton taking him at 29

pretty wide range of opinion!

Interestingly, Morreale doesn't have Miro going first round but Kimmelman has him going at 32 to AZ

Personally, I take Miro at 15 if we can't move up and snag a top RD

On 6/6/2022 at 1:31 PM, Bure_Pavel said:
FC RANK 14
vancouver-canucks.svg
GEEKIE CONOR
C
WINNIPEG ICE
WHL
6'3”
172 lbs
CAN.svg

FC RANK 68
vancouver-canucks.svg
WARREN NOAH
D
GATINEAU OLYMPIQUES
QMJHL
6'5”
214 lbs
CAN.svg

FC RANK 999
vancouver-canucks.svg
RINZEL SAM
D
CHASKA HIGH
USHS-MN
6'4”
181 lbs
USA.svg

FC RANK 999
vancouver-canucks.svg
LUND CAMERON
RW
GREEN BAY GAMBLERS
USHL
6'2”
181 lbs
USA.svg

FC RANK 999
vancouver-canucks.svg
YAKUPOV RAUL
C
NEFTEKHIMIK NIZHNEKAMSK
KHL
6'1”
168 lbs
RUS.svg

FC RANK 999
vancouver-canucks.svg
MORAVEC DAVID
D
BK MLADA BOLESLAV
CZECHIA
6'0”
179 lbs
CZE.svg

Had no idea there was another Yakupov in the draft?  Looks like it's Nail's cousin.  Has pretty good MHL numbers.

• Sad 1

I always like to look through rankings and look for kids who've had incredible ppg numbers who are not ranked at the very top of the first round, and then go read the scouting reports on them to see why. Sometimes its skating, sometimes its size, etc.

The one player I don't really understand why he's so low is Isaac Howard. He's not small he's 5'10' 183 lbs....so he'll probably top out at 6'0'' or more 

He's played for the USNDP and excelled, is apparently a strong skater, competitor etc. His last 60 games he has 60-33-49-82...those are some solid numbers. That's 1.37 ppg

For instance the following players have ppg's of:

Shane Wright:  1.49

Logan Cooley: 1.47

Matt Savoie: 1.42

Frank Nazar: 1.25

Connor Geekie: 1,11

They say this about him 

Isaac Howard is an offensively gifted forward, a natural scorer who is developing into an excellent playmaker as well. He scored 54 goals in 91 games spread over two seasons with United States National Team Development Program Juniors, but his 71 assists have earned him a reputation for being a versatile player who can both score and set up plays. Howard has committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth for the 2022-23 season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/isaac-howard-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

While I know ppg isn't the be all and end all, I have noticed that the higher the ppg absent being too small, or major issues in skating, does tend to translate into better odds of success in the NHL, ie you can't teach talent.

I recall years ago, not sure if he still does it, someone on hockey forums basically had an algo that ranked players on ppg and adjusted for league difficulty, His algo outperformed most GM's...it was very simple...talent wins....its almost as if scouts think too much and get in their own way.

Anyways, just an interesting player and curious why a player who's not small, but not big, a strong skater, with the 4th highest ppg average amongst forwards is ranked 20 and below.

If that guy on Hockey Forums algo is right, this guy would likely be a potential steal.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Had no idea there was another Yakupov in the draft?  Looks like it's Nail's cousin.  Has pretty good MHL numbers.

Yeah cousin of Nail and nephew to Rail. Tied with Michkov (way less games played) for most goals in MHL and had 5th most penalty minutes.

• Cheers 1