The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its an interesting mock, but somehow I believe it. There's alot of smoke.

Bobby Mac had Slafkovsky at #1 (and I know the methodology of his list isn't an opinion of where they go, but I don't think Slaf would be #1 if wasn't a chance of him going 1).

And even more curiously, today Jeff Marek was commenting on the draft & speculating about 'if Wright fell to Philly at #5', the defensemen (Nemec/Jiricek) 'making things interesting', and how lucky Ottawa would be if Kasper "fell" to 7. 

Between Pronman, B-Mac, & Jeff, I don't think this is all coincidence. We might be in for some surprises.

49:30

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-marek-show/thats-a-wrap/

Yea, obviously us fans have a more limited access to this players, but if I am GM I would be taking Slaf, esp. after his Olympic performance. These rankings coming after the combine tell me Slaf might seem more mature overall.

9 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Both McKenzie and Pronman have Wright fallen from 1st.

Big fan of Slafovsky, but was also thinking how perfect he would fit for the Devils :lol:

Imagine the fireworks if the Devils draft Slafkovsky and we trade for the 2nd pick to take one of the D men. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Everyones rankings are so different its actually wild.

Not gonna lie as I am dyslexic I dint see Miro on your list at all first time I read it. I was like wow Miro not even in he first round..

But he's at 2!

I was a big time fan of him before he health scare but I dont know anyone that high on him and I am incredibly intrigued but this ranking of him.

If you have shared your reasoning / view on him as 2 in the draft I would love to read that could you link me? Or just share now if you haven't whenever you have time.

Mintyukov at 20 and Mateychuk at 25 seems low to me interested on your reasons for that too.

I just like them higher so thats why I am curious!

Mintyukov and Mateychuk honestly I kinda just haven't seen them enough. Have seen very little Mintyukov, but from what I've seen his defensive play and risk-management are troublesome. Have seen more of Mateychuk, but I just have questions around his offensive upside at the NHL level. Like him as a very smart two-way player and puck-mover but Korchinski and Minyukov are better on the PP, and with his size he's probably never an elite shutdown guy. Reminds me of Matt Gryzlek.

I did talk about Miro a bunch early in the year, but I can give a quick recap and maybe post a few highlights. Back in spring of 2020 I was already talking about a two player top tier of Wright and Miro. I noted him as a potential top five pick (with Wright, Savoie, Lambert, McGroarty) after YOGs, but with his performance as an under-ager at 5NU17s he really asserted himself as a pretty special player. There are some who question his hockey IQ but I guess the crux of the argument would be he is dripping with raw talent and only played 8 games at the U18 level, then 20 games at the U20 level before making the jump to VHL. I've seen upwards of 25 or 30 games of him, and I have zero concerns about his hockey IQ. He just needs time to adapt to higher levels.

My one concern has been around his grit/determination. He's by far at his best when playing a hard-nosed, north-south power forward game, but he's shown worrisome lack of consistency to bring that level of physicality. He is capable of being a bull in a china shop, but he's always been skilled enough to excel on skill alone. To be the player he could be at higher levels, he needs to bring his complete game and be willing to take the hard bumps night after night. I have a ton of clips saved on him so I'll show you a few of my favorites.

I'm a sucker for a good reverse hit and this one gives you a taste of what a $&!# brick house this red machine with no neck is. Wearing 53 in red.

This is a shift from that 5NU17s, which as I alluded to was where he first captured my heart. If you want a good encapsulation of what makes Miro special, it's worth watching this whole game. He was under-aged on the 3rd line. Wearing 10 in red.

This one is really fun: Miro intercepts Slafkovsky and then puts the moves on Simon Nemec, leading to a goal off his breakaway. 10 in red.

And this one was 5 or 6 games into his pro career. I watched most of those first few games and it was a steep learning curve for him, but this was kind of the moment where I thought he arrived on the scene. 63 in white.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If so hopefully its Mintyukov. imo Sergachev level player with Makar-like 4 way mobility.

I think you go with BPA regardless of depth chart. Here’s to getting your guy! 

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Montreal will take Slafkovsky at #1 overall and then they will trade for PLD.  They need the big boys to mix in with Suzuki and little Cole as well as Gallagher.

Wright may drop out of the top 3...

Oh dear… 

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield 

Dadonov - PLD - Gallagher 

Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Hoffman 

I don’t even think that’s fair anymore, what a deep top 9. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Oh dear… 

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield 

Dadonov - PLD - Gallagher 

Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Hoffman 

I don’t even think that’s fair anymore, what a deep top 9. 

Honestly I don't see it. Anderson, Dadonov, Dvorak and Hoffman all pretty overpaid and overrated. Caufield had an up and down rookie season. PLD has character issues, and thats assuming MTL even trades for him. Suzuki is really the only surefire top line guy for them IMO.

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Stech said:

Honestly I don't see it. Anderson, Dadonov, Dvorak and Hoffman all pretty overpaid and overrated. Caufield had an up and down rookie season. PLD has character issues, and thats assuming MTL even trades for him. Suzuki is really the only surefire top line guy for them IMO.

Agreed. Looks average at best.

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Great to see Hank and Danny involved with our team.

Really liked hearing multiple scouts talking about what a player projects to be, not what they are now. 

Hearing one scout stating there is talent in later rounds is heartening, I believe that to. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

true story - nonis, gillis and JB all went from being chubby to being totally obese during their tenure as GM in Van...too many free meals at the aquiline food chain

Or stress eating 

• Haha 3

On 6/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, hammertime said:

We had a major overhaul and a stale coach. Of course it took time to gel. Now what we overhaul again watch Boudreau fall flat on his face to open the season with 6-7 new players. Its a good team is it good enough? No? But we shouldn't be doing another shocking reset like we had last season. Give this team time to gel add a couple guys at the top trim the fat. Pearson is fine Garland is great, lets get rid of the floaters. 

Who are the floaters in the top six we should get rid of?  

• Vintage 1