The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

53 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Based on your experience it would seem that things are very different depending on the country you live in. I never said I was against the idea of mandatory military service, just the idea of exemptions for some because those with the means to do so will exploit those exemptions.

I guess it depends on the country and the type of exception. In Soviet Union the only official exception was on medical reasons. That was one of the primary routes for people to try to avoid the army. In Israel, beside the medical, there’s also exception for the ultra orthodox and there’s also a way to do a civil service instead of military one. Surprisingly, percentage of people trying to avoid service in Israel is much lower than it was in Soviet Union.

44 minutes ago, RomanP said:

I guess it depends on the country and the type of exception. In Soviet Union the only official exception was on medical reasons. That was one of the primary routes for people to try to avoid the army. In Israel, beside the medical, there’s also exception for the ultra orthodox and there’s also a way to do a civil service instead of military one. Surprisingly, percentage of people trying to avoid service in Israel is much lower than it was in Soviet Union.

medical exemptions are fine but they need to be legitimate, I wouldn't support religious exemptions though. I don't even support mandatory military service to be honest, I'm just saying that any exemptions need to be legit.

11 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

medical exemptions are fine but they need to be legitimate, I wouldn't support religious exemptions though. I don't even support mandatory military service to be honest, I'm just saying that any exemptions need to be legit.

I agree on the legitimacy of exceptions. And the entire non-orthodox portion of Israeli population agrees with you on The religious exemptions lol. I forgot to add one more nugget re: Israeli military - you have to volunteer to the fighting units, they won’t just assign you there. Moreover, there’s a huge demand into these fighting units, especially into the elite ones, like Sayeret Matkal. Majority of applicants don’t get in and end up serving in less prestigious units. And it’s not just physical abilities, but also mental and in general being smart.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Western Red said:

Yea, now that we're all brushed up on history... 

I see his birthday is coming up.. Jan 9. He'll be 19! 

He's getting old, career is pretty much done. 

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Have to appreciate young Euro/Russians wanting to be here and stick. Not an easy decision to make. When COVID eases up I wouldn't mind seeing Canucks fly out Pod/Klim's family over to see them and watch a game. Let them see how fans support them. IMO that would be a killer reward for their loyalty. 

22 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Have to appreciate young Euro/Russians wanting to be here and stick. Not an easy decision to make. When COVID eases up I wouldn't mind seeing Canucks fly out Pod/Klim's family over to see them and watch a game. Let them see how fans support them. IMO that would be a killer reward for their loyalty. 

Visa is a problem, guys…