The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Part of the plan right?

Vote Now Election 2020 GIF by INTO ACTION

Yes it is. Part of the plan to lose I guess. The Abbotsford Canucks are currently 7-7-1. They are currently 0-3-1 in the 4 games Klimovich has been a healthy scratch. 

Maybe that's just a coincidence, or maybe the rest of the team just doesn't have it.

Shoulder Shrug GIF

39 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yes it is. Part of the plan to lose I guess. The Abbotsford Canucks are currently 7-7-1. They are currently 0-3-1 in the 4 games Klimovich has been a healthy scratch. 

Maybe that's just a coincidence, or maybe the rest of the team just doesn't have it.

Shoulder Shrug GIF

For myself, it's another indictment of a nearly 2 decades long failure of a development program.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 8:40 PM, Warhippy said:

For myself, it's another indictment of a nearly 2 decades long failure of a development program.

So, on one hand we praise Sedins, but when it doesn’t fit the narrative we make sassy comments about “the plan”? Can we just all relax and just see what these guys can do in player development?

Now, perhaps it’s not related to hockey, but I am a former volleyball player and now coach club volleyball. As part of this, I follow variety of researches on the best training techniques. A few years ago, a group of researchers analyzed 2 different approaches to training - one team only did on court practices all season long, while the second team did on court practice 50% of the time and video watching and analysis the other 50% (total practice time was the same between the 2 teams). At the end, through a series of complex stats taking, the team that did 50/50 split showed much more significant improvement in skill development. I’m not saying that Sedins follow the same concept with Danila, but the fact that such research exists makes you think twice before making sassy comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, RomanP said:

So, on one hand we praise Sedins, but when it doesn’t fit the narrative we make sassy comments about “the plan”? Can we just all relax and just see what these guys can do in player development?

Now, perhaps it’s not related to hockey, but I am a former volleyball player and now coach club volleyball. As part of this, I follow variety of researches on the best training techniques. A few years ago, a group of researchers analyzed 2 different approaches to training - one team only did on court practices all season long, while the second team did on court practice 50% of the time and video watching and analysis the other 50% (total practice time was the same between the 2 teams). At the end, through a series of complex stats taking, the team that did 50/50 split showed much more significant improvement in skill development. I’m not saying that Sedins follow the same concept with Danila, but the fact that such research exists makes you think twice before making sassy comments.

Lol.

Bud, this is not a sassy comment.

The Canucks have arguably the worst development success of any team in the last 17 years.  In fact, taking out our top ten picks in Hodgson, Horvat, Pettersson, Virtanen and Hughes we have only 6 players in 17 years that have crossed the 200 game threshold for deemed "draft success"

If I recall correctly 4 of them came from one draft.

Whatever the plan for Klimovich is, he'll succeed in SPITE of our development program not because of it.  But 4 healthy scratches is not a good look no matter how you spin it

Edited by Warhippy

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lol.

Bud, this is not a sassy comment.

The Canucks have arguably the worst development success of any team in the last 17 years.  In fact, taking out our top ten picks in Hodgson, Horvat, Pettersson, Virtanen and Hughes we have only 6 players in 17 years that have crossed the 200 game threshold for deemed "draft success"

If I recall correctly 4 of them came from one draft.

Whatever the plan for Klimovich is, he'll succeed in SPITE of our development program not because of it.  But 4 healthy scratches is not a good look no matter how you spin it

So, you choose to ignore the fact that there was a serious research into the matter? Just because you are used to specific form of development?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RomanP said:

So, you choose to ignore the fact that there was a serious research into the matter? Just because you are used to specific form of development?

This is an interesting point to make, and I think there is a connection to what you're saying. Maybe we can apply the same with Rathbone on our main team this year. Get some games in but spend just as much or maybe a bit more time on the "studying" part of things, then let the player go once you think they have a handle on what you are trying to teach them. 

I worry they are running out of time with Rahbone using this method, but at least they have ample time with Klim. I think he even stated that the jump from Belarus to AHL was an absolutely huge one? I feel like he made that comment a while back. Lots to learn for a young adult coming from a low league like that to a top tier league playing against men.

Lots of young guys have that problem when the come to the AHL, not just Klim. It's a big adjustment going from junior to pro. Whether it's the AHL, SHL, or NHL, or even the NCAA. All are mens leagues and these teenage kids can get very over whelmed if not handled properly.

I feel like as long as the Canucks and Klim are on the same page then he will develop into a good future player for us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is an interesting point to make, and I think there is a connection to what you're saying. Maybe we can apply the same with Rathbone on our main team this year. Get some games in but spend just as much or maybe a bit more time on the "studying" part of things, then let the player go once you think they have a handle on what you are trying to teach them. 

I worry they are running out of time with Rahbone using this method, but at least they have ample time with Klim. I think he even stated that the jump from Belarus to AHL was an absolutely huge one? I feel like he made that comment a while back. Lots to learn for a young adult coming from a low league like that to a top tier league playing against men.

Lots of young guys have that problem when the come to the AHL, not just Klim. It's a big adjustment going from junior to pro. Whether it's the AHL, SHL, or NHL, or even the NCAA. All are mens leagues and these teenage kids can get very over whelmed if not handled properly.

I feel like as long as the Canucks and Klim are on the same page then he will develop into a good future player for us.

I don't feel like Rathbone spends much time thinking about defense OR spending time in the weight room. 

Glory shots are in offensive stats. And pp stats. 

I think he could get stronger. I think he could defend better. 

But might have to learn that with another team.

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't feel like Rathbone spends much time thinking about defense OR spending time in the weight room. 

I'm sure his agent is beavering himself away looking for a trade.

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't want to rip on Bone too much, his defensive game needs work. To be honest he needs to work these kinks out by getting into games and figuring it out. He absolutely blew up the AHL but you could see his defensive issues down on the farm. My one thing I keep coming back to with him is that he has shown to be a quick study when he gets game time in. If you leave him sitting for too long it's a waste. At some point they need to throw him on the ice, let him make mistakes and learn. I still think he's worth the risk in doing that. He needs to learn the "timing" of things in the NHL. Once he gets that down I think his defensive play will improve. Yes he's had some bad games this year, but I still see progress happening with him. We just need to find a decent partner to pair him with so he can have room to make mistakes. Schenn would be great with him. Just like he has been with Hughes. 

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

I think we all love Klim.  What’s not to like about his character?  Seems like an excellent young man.  I just hope we are giving him everything he needs to become the player his physical gifts show he could be.  He’s, big, strong, skilled, and skates great.  He has an excellent shot at being an NHL player.  But are we doing what’s needed for that to happen?  I sure hope we are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don't want to rip on Bone too much, his defensive game needs work. To be honest he needs to work these kinks out by getting into games and figuring it out. He absolutely blew up the AHL but you could see his defensive issues down on the farm. My one thing I keep coming back to with him is that he has shown to be a quick study when he gets game time in. If you leave him sitting for too long it's a waste. At some point they need to throw him on the ice, let him make mistakes and learn. I still think he's worth the risk in doing that. He needs to learn the "timing" of things in the NHL. Once he gets that down I think his defensive play will improve. Yes he's had some bad games this year, but I still see progress happening with him. We just need to find a decent partner to pair him with so he can have room to make mistakes. Schenn would be great with him. Just like he has been with Hughes. 

In the AHL Bone could use his superior skating to cover for mistakes in his thinking.  It’s not so easy in the NHL to do that.  Bone needs to think the game faster, especially without the puck.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In the AHL Bone could use his superior skating to cover for mistakes in his thinking.  It’s not so easy in the NHL to do that.  Bone needs to think the game faster, especially without the puck.  

That's something that can only be taught on the ice. This is a sink or swim year for him but they need to give him a fair chance I think. But with our team doing so well and pushing for a playoff spot he is definitely not going to see much ice time at all. He at least seems to be keeping a decent attitude about it, he obviously knows he needs work and needs to show his coaches he is learning and can be trusted. 

You are right now, he doesn't process things quick enough yet. There are several plays where he tries to pinch in the O zone and gets picked off or out smarted because he just didn't see how the opposing players were defending him. Not sure if that's gonna click, maybe it won't. I'd still like to see him get some more games in to work these kinks out...but i'm not holding my breath it will be any time soon unless we get a bunch of injuries on the back end.

He's a good kid, I wishing him luck.

Klim with the 2nd assist on the (temporarily) tying goal for his work along the boards.

Edit: As an extra, not sure how much it matters to some but I thought it deserved an extra mention. The defender Klim beat out in the board battle is Ilya Solovyov and he is 6'3 220lbs.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we all love Klim.  What’s not to like about his character?  Seems like an excellent young man.  I just hope we are giving him everything he needs to become the player his physical gifts show he could be.  He’s, big, strong, skilled, and skates great.  He has an excellent shot at being an NHL player.  But are we doing what’s needed for that to happen?  I sure hope we are. 

I will never claim that the plan is 100% correct until we see the results as expected by the plan. What I’m trying to say is that we are all unhappy with the previous player development results (I agree with @Warhippyon that, no question). However, what we see now with Danila is an entirely new approach. Henrik and Daniel are just starting to work on the player development and seem to be using new approaches. I think we all need to give them some time to see whether this new approach works. The research that I brought is a real one. I’m not sure whether the Sedins are using similar approach with Danila. What I do know for sure is that when he’s not playing - he’s watching the game sitting next to the Sedins and they dissect the game as it goes on. They have some sort of internal point system of things he has to do when he plays and they calculate these points after every game. That all sounds like a new approach to me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, RomanP said:

Volleyball is such an underrated sport.

Bought a month of volleyball TV to watch the World Championships a little while ago. Amazing, was hoping Poland would win though. I also watch NCAA and some international matches on youtube

I 100% believe watching tape and visualization works. I started late in volleyball and had a late growth spurt and barely made the team in grade 11 but I loved the sport and the comradery of the team. Never started at all in high school but somehow made a development camp for the BC team (must have had a sweet warm up lol)

I watched tons of video. I actually wore out a VHS tape of some university matches and had to tape it back together. I would also set all kinds of household objects and developed some sweet hands! Some cross training playing pick up basketball but mostly practicing dunking with some friends and my vertical got pretty good.

Got my growth spurt and made the college team but they switched me to middle - booo! lol. Ended up a starter after my first year.

Man I can still visualize some of the best digs I made. Its like time slows down and you are seeing every detail, reading off the block, the trajectory of the set, the hitters body language and his eyes.

I get that same feeling from surfing now. Can visualize a half dozen or so of my best waves like they happened yesterday.

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

I will never claim that the plan is 100% correct until we see the results as expected by the plan. What I’m trying to say is that we are all unhappy with the previous player development results (I agree with @Warhippyon that, no question). However, what we see now with Danila is an entirely new approach. Henrik and Daniel are just starting to work on the player development and seem to be using new approaches. I think we all need to give them some time to see whether this new approach works. The research that I brought is a real one. I’m not sure whether the Sedins are using similar approach with Danila. What I do know for sure is that when he’s not playing - he’s watching the game sitting next to the Sedins and they dissect the game as it goes on. They have some sort of internal point system of things he has to do when he plays and they calculate these points after every game. That all sounds like a new approach to me.

Flo Hyman.  Saw her play live.  Most incredible athlete (and volleyball player) I ever saw.  Her verticals was nuts.  From court side it looked like her knees were above the net.  

• Vintage 1