The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Myrenberg | D

GoldenAlien

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

While people are drooling over B. Schneider from the NYW system, they are utterly sleeping on this kid.

Better JR production, holding his own as an 18 year old in the SHL while playing and getting decent minutes doing it.

I think people are sleeping on this kid while betting the farm on hoping for someone who is comparable.

Jumi Juro possible too. I posted an article from the Province about him in his thread. Sounds very positive.

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Jumi Juro possible too. I posted an article from the Province about him in his thread. Sounds very positive.

I don't think people are necessarily sleeping on Myrenberg or Jurmo.  Both hold promise and could be useful players for the Canucks in the future, but neither seem to be perceived to be as NHL ready as Schneider.  Neither Myrenberg or Jurmo have played in North America.

It would be more exciting if Jurmo and Myrenberg play with Abbotsford and start playing in a way that shows they might be too good for that league (like Rathbone is currently doing).  Right now, I think both players are prospects that Canucks fans should look forward to, but there's still little to indicate that their current success will translate into something tangible with a NHL career.  My guess is it might be at least 2-3 years before Jurmo or Myrenberg might start to make serious progress towards NHL careers, but even then they will need to go to the AHL which is by no means guaranteed.  I have been following hockey long enough to see that some prospects who find success in one of the other international leagues end up staying there rather than try to make the jump to North America where they may be paid a lot less while learning the North American game and trying to push their way up.  I, for one, am excited about Myrenberg and Jurmo but I am also very much interested in the Canucks acquiring other young prospects, especially players who might be closer to actually contributing to the NHL team. 

I seem to remember Allvin mentioning that the Canucks are in a position to sell international players on NHL roles and I wonder if this might be part of their thought process with bringing over international prospects like Myrenberg and Jurmo.  I'm not saying that they will be guaranteed NHL roles, but maybe they'll get more lucrative AHL deals and receive more assurance that they will receive solid playing time in Abbotsford - I'm sure none of them want to come to North America and end up in the ECHL (not to diss that league, but it would be a step down from SweHL and Liiga).  It's good that these guys are getting high level international pro experience but, IMHO, they need to eventually make the jump to North America before they will become more relevant.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I don't think people are necessarily sleeping on Myrenberg or Jurmo.  Both hold promise and could be useful players for the Canucks in the future, but neither seem to be perceived to be as NHL ready as Schneider.  Neither Myrenberg or Jurmo have played in North America.

It would be more exciting if Jurmo and Myrenberg play with Abbotsford and start playing in a way that shows they might be too good for that league (like Rathbone is currently doing).  Right now, I think both players are prospects that Canucks fans should look forward to, but there's still little to indicate that their current success will translate into something tangible with a NHL career.  My guess is it might be at least 2-3 years before Jurmo or Myrenberg might start to make serious progress towards NHL careers, but even then they will need to go to the AHL which is by no means guaranteed.  I have been following hockey long enough to see that some prospects who find success in one of the other international leagues end up staying there rather than try to make the jump to North America where they may be paid a lot less while learning the North American game and trying to push their way up.  I, for one, am excited about Myrenberg and Jurmo but I am also very much interested in the Canucks acquiring other young prospects, especially players who might be closer to actually contributing to the NHL team. 

I seem to remember Allvin mentioning that the Canucks are in a position to sell international players on NHL roles and I wonder if this might be part of their thought process with bringing over international prospects like Myrenberg and Jurmo.  I'm not saying that they will be guaranteed NHL roles, but maybe they'll get more lucrative AHL deals and receive more assurance that they will receive solid playing time in Abbotsford - I'm sure none of them want to come to North America and end up in the ECHL (not to diss that league, but it would be a step down from SweHL and Liiga).  It's good that these guys are getting high level international pro experience but, IMHO, they need to eventually make the jump to North America before they will become more relevant.

If you're referring to Jurmo and Myrenberg, they would be subject to standard ELCs, so there's no such thing as a lucrative AHL deal for these guys.  Hopefully they do enough in their respective elite leagues to warrant a NHL ELC and develop their game with Abbotsford Canucks. 

Hopefully they turn out to be more leaning towards Alex Edler than Henrik Tommernes and Anton Cederholm who didn't do much with their ELC opportunities.

15 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I am hoping that the heavier Swedish representation in the Canuck org will encourage Euros to spend time in Abby to develop their game. Like many I have thought the Utica/Abby rosters had to many vets in the lineups. The Sedins have been in Abby a lot so lets see what happens. 

21 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If you're referring to Jurmo and Myrenberg, they would be subject to standard ELCs, so there's no such thing as a lucrative AHL deal for these guys.  Hopefully they do enough in their respective elite leagues to warrant a NHL ELC and develop their game with Abbotsford Canucks. 

Hopefully they turn out to be more leaning towards Alex Edler than Henrik Tommernes and Anton Cederholm who didn't do much with their ELC opportunities.

Fair point regarding the ELCs for Myrenberg and Jurmo if they make the jump.  Whatever the case is, if minutes in the AHL can be committed to them, maybe that will help them make the leap over the Atlantic.

I agree with you regarding Tommernes and Cederholm.  Peter Andersson is another although at one point at least I thought he might have a chance of coming up as a defensive D (IIRC Pedan was the guy who was given the chances to play in the NHL but wasn't good enough either).  I'm thinking about Toni Utenen too although he doesn't have a ELC (and might never).

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

On 2/14/2022 at 1:52 PM, Warhippy said:

While people are drooling over B. Schneider from the NYR system, they are utterly sleeping on this kid.

Better JR production, holding his own as an 18 year old in the SHL while playing and getting decent minutes doing it.

I think people are sleeping on this kid while betting the farm on hoping for someone who is comparable.

Now I'm not saying anything but.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/5/2022 at 9:06 AM, Warhippy said:

Probably at least couple years off still (unlike Schneider) and probably a closer parallel with Lundkvist than Schneider for play style but his development is promising. *Fingers crossed*

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Warhippy said:

Myrenberg is definitely one of the D prospects that I'm most intrigued about, particularly considering the fact that he's playing in the SHL as an 18 year old.  Persson's interesting as well but as a 20-year old, there's likely less room for him to develop.

The Canucks might not have any blue chippers but they do have some intriguing prospects.  I wouldn't bet on any of them making it at this point, so if there are good NHL deals to acquire players who are much closer to being ready without creating all new roster problems elsewhere, then I'm still for it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Myrenberg is definitely one of the D prospects that I'm most intrigued about, particularly considering the fact that he's playing in the SHL as an 18 year old.  Persson's interesting as well but as a 20-year old, there's likely less room for him to develop.

The Canucks might not have any blue chippers but they do have some intriguing prospects.  I wouldn't bet on any of them making it at this point, so if there are good NHL deals to acquire players who are much closer to being ready without creating all new roster problems elsewhere, then I'm still for it.

As an RHD prospect I am intensely intrigued by this kid.  He is also 4 points in 5 games of this years playoff for the HC J20 and is far from a small boy at 6 foot 2 inches and almsot 190 pounds.  we know european players on average tend to fill out far more than NA players due to their not being such gym rats so we could see a 200+ pound RHD in a seasons time without much question.

I’ll be honest. I don’t know much about Myrenberg. But this franchise has not had many RHD prospects worth talking about, sot he fact that we have someone who is somewhat promising is intriguing. Does he make the jump to the NHL? Who knows. But for now, his development is promising. Guess we’ll see if he can keep this up, and whether or not he’ll come over to Abby for further development especially on North American ice. That’s what I’d be more interested in, whether his game on European ice (which is generally larger, so players do have more room to process) translates to North American ice, where he won’t have as much room, or time to process his decisions. 

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The late round picks are the scouts picks

Fred, JB is a scout, he didn’t lose his prior experience when they made him a GM.  

take your hateraid off, the guy left the cupboard stocked and whether he was driving around Scandinavia or not, he hired the guy and was the authority that selected the pick.  

if you critique a person fairly, you have to be more than only one sided.  

and it pains me. But Fred you were right.  OJ was a terrible pick.  
Just can’t right a guy off, until he is written off in my profession, being a medic.  

think that’s ok