The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Myrenberg | D

GoldenAlien

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Fred, JB is a scout, he didn’t lose his prior experience when they made him a GM.  

take your hateraid off, the guy left the cupboard stocked and whether he was driving around Scandinavia or not, he hired the guy and was the authority that selected the pick.  

if you critique a person fairly, you have to be more than only one sided.  

and it pains me. But Fred you were right.  OJ was a terrible pick.  
Just can’t right a guy off, until he is written off in my profession, being a medic.  

think that’s ok

JB was a General Manager who dealt with his staff from Entertianment to ticket sales and marketing to Abbotsford his job simply doess not permit him to travel all over North America, Europe, Russia etc etc. He likely does have input on the first round and heck maybe the second round ( but I have my reservation, remember the why is know one looking at Kole Lind, of course we now know ::D ) But to the  best of my knowledge the scouts give him a short list to work from. There is no point to having a staff of 19 scouts if he does it all himself. There again it may just be jobs for the boys :lol:

18 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

JB was a General Manager who dealt with his staff from Entertianment to ticket sales and marketing to Abbotsford his job simply doess not permit him to travel all over North America, Europe, Russia etc etc. He likely does have input on the first round and heck maybe the second round ( but I have my reservation, remember the why is know one looking at Kole Lind, of course we now know ::D ) But to the  best of my knowledge the scouts give him a short list to work from. There is no point to having a staff of 19 scouts if he does it all himself. There again it may just be jobs for the boys :lol:

He had the final say on all the first rounders and then deferred to his scouts for the later round picks. 

He travelled to the Hlinka tournament to watch Danila Klimovich and that's looking like a great pick so far. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

He had the final say on all the first rounders and then deferred to his scouts for the later round picks. 

He travelled to the Hlinka tournament to watch Danila Klimovich and that's looking like a great pick so far. 

I'd agee with that summation, I seriously have doubts about the lower rounds ( I recall him telling Brackett, in the Hughes draft " you got both of your boys" ( Hughes and Woo ) on a video ) 

8 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Fred, JB is a scout, he didn’t lose his prior experience when they made him a GM.  

take your hateraid off, the guy left the cupboard stocked and whether he was driving around Scandinavia or not, he hired the guy and was the authority that selected the pick.  

if you critique a person fairly, you have to be more than only one sided.  

and it pains me. But Fred you were right.  OJ was a terrible pick.  
Just can’t right a guy off, until he is written off in my profession, being a medic.  

think that’s ok

Obviously J.B. could not micro-manage each pick. He did participate in group meetings including the periodic scout meetings as well as the final prospect meetings before each NHL draft. He would have heard all of the debates which produced the final prospect ranking. He would have had a very rough recollection of  internal debates regarding pros and cons of each player through 7 rounds of selection. J.B. would have kept track of the wins and fails of each scout. He would have asked his scouts to look for certain physical and mental traits in North America as well as Europe. The hits and misses are a lot of times luck. However, I do think that he would have had a strong opinion of his scouts' performances since he was a scout for a long time. 

I think it would be unfair to pin a particular pick as the single handed result of J.B. I'm sure that Juolevi was highly ranked by Canucks on their internal prospect ranking which was produced by the entire scouting team. However, you can say that J.B. managed and maintained a talented and very competent scouting department throughout the years. 

Edited by Maddogy

13 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Obviously J.B. could not micro-manage each pick. He did participate in group meetings including the periodic scout meetings as well as the final prospect meetings before each NHL draft. He would have heard all of the debates which produced the final prospect ranking. He would have had a very rough recollection of  internal debates regarding pros and cons of each player through 7 rounds of selection. J.B. would have kept track of the wins and fails of each scout. He would have asked his scouts to look for certain physical and mental traits in North America as well as Europe. The hits and misses are a lot of times luck. However, I do think that he would have had a strong opinion of his scouts' performances since he was a scout for a long time. 

I think it would be unfair to pin a particular pick as the single handed result of J.B. I'm sure that Juolevi was highly ranked by Canucks on their internal prospect ranking which was produced by the entire scouting team. However, you can say that J.B. managed and maintained a talented and very competent scouting department throughout the years. 

No pick is the GM’s single handed choice.  

they are the head, and face of the pick, and are the ones blamed for the bad ones, but in the case of JB, his, in the Royal sense, picks, good or bad, low picks or high picks… no different that Nonis and Burke get credit for Hansen, Edler, Burrows, Tanev and Bieksa.

10 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

No pick is the GM’s single handed choice.  

they are the head, and face of the pick, and are the ones blamed for the bad ones, but in the case of JB, his, in the Royal sense, picks, good or bad, low picks or high picks… no different that Nonis and Burke get credit for Hansen, Edler, Burrows, Tanev and Bieksa.

Tanev was signed by Gillis as an NCAA UFA as I recall. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

We need this guy to hit. 

Had a good J20 didn’t have a sample size in SHL.

Got minutes in the SHL as an 18 year old and that's damn impressive! Can't wait to see/hear how he stacks up in the development camp and hopefully our young stars tournament. 

On 2/14/2022 at 1:52 PM, Warhippy said:

While people are drooling over B. Schneider from the NYR system, they are utterly sleeping on this kid.

Better JR production, holding his own as an 18 year old in the SHL while playing and getting decent minutes doing it.

I think people are sleeping on this kid while betting the farm on hoping for someone who is comparable.

*bump*

• Cheers 2

On 4/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Maddogy said:

This is the line that JB was fired for, ‘of having too few management staff and not allowing Brackett and others a free reign at the draft’ to paraphrase the basic media spin and broad anti Benning spin that erupted nearly immediately at his hiring.

but now when good players who were longer shots start to show as good picks or to have some potential, JB has no inputs, no idea and doesn’t even know who these players are?

for a life long hockey guy and career scout, I doubt he just forgot or left it all up to the very scouts he supervised and the very and only reason he was able to recover from a lot of weaker areas in his management skills. 

Had there been a way to clone JB with MG we would be a dynasty.  

both were weak in the opposite direction.  

but scouting was the only thing that saved JB’s ass with Aquaman after all those &^@# ups.  He got some things wrong, and really tended to over correct in his top picks, but he may be the most hated GM in club history, yet had given us the most young stars on a Nucks roster since the Linden Bure era.

credit were due.  

6 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

This is the line that JB was fired for, ‘of having too few management staff and not allowing Brackett and others a free reign at the draft’ to paraphrase the basic media spin and broad anti Benning spin that erupted nearly immediately at his hiring.

but now when good players who were longer shots start to show as good picks or to have some potential, JB has no inputs, no idea and doesn’t even know who these players are?

for a life long hockey guy and career scout, I doubt he just forgot or left it all up to the very scouts he supervised and the very and only reason he was able to recover from a lot of weaker areas in his management skills. 

Had there been a way to clone JB with MG we would be a dynasty.  

both were weak in the opposite direction.  

but scouting was the only thing that saved JB’s ass with Aquaman after all those &^@# ups.  He got some things wrong, and really tended to over correct in his top picks, but he may be the most hated GM in club history, yet had given us the most young stars on a Nucks roster since the Linden Bure era.

credit were due.  

Benning was overly involved in the top picks.  Later rounds were 100% Bracket and the scouting staff.  Wisebrod is shown in the Hughes’ draft to say clearly to Benning, “you got your guy”.  There are other videos where Benning differs to Bracket when things are happening in the later rounds.  One specific time was when a club called to propose to trade picks.  Benning asked Bracket if there was a guy the scouts wanted in that spot or if it was a good time to make that trade.  

So Benning was pretty much choosing the top pick.  But he deferred to the scouts for the picks after.