The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2022 free agent list and those mad.

Rate this topic

linden17

Pretty underwhelming list for the most part.  Lots of guys in their mid to late 30's.  As for RHD which would be our biggest need there are only a handful of guys I would consider and probably all of them re-sign with their current team:

Colton Parayko, Rasmus Ristolainen, Ryan Pulock, Josh Manson, Colin Miller, Connor Murphy, Robert Bortuzzo

Not sure we'd have a shot at most of these guys and Manson and Bortuzzo will both be over 30.  Connor Murphy would be interesting.  Hard hitter but even Gaudette beat him up in a fight.

I think I'd rather go for Jani Hakanpaa this year. 
  • Vintage 1

A 4 or 5 yr flat cap(& potentially collapsing overall economy, killing disposable income) will hit many franchises hard. 30+ UFA's will get the strongest financial-pinch. They used to be able to scramble & find desperate(mostly rich, big) markets, who lacked patience to build. THAT will dry up & disappear.

So bring in guys low to mid-20's(JD & CG were primo) & try your utmost to develop a tight-crew culture amongst your youth. JB picked an appropriate era to emphasize character. Next stage, is to convince them to take 10-20% less; the reward being a perennial contender.

We're at the last 20, 25% stage to get this all together. Requires some skilled diplomacy & sales. Enter the twins...

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I just had a look at the list, there are some intriguing names for sure.

Loui Eriksson will be available :bigblush:, might be able to get him at  good value for the "little things"

The only thing Loui Ericsson will be doing is fishing for his trousers at the Grand Canyon. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I just had a look at the list, there are some intriguing names for sure.

Loui Eriksson will be available :bigblush:, might be able to get him at  good value for the "little things"

Career year ?; since he will be playing for a contract or he just fades into the sunset with his retirement money.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

No point in big time free agents when you have big time players signed like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Garland, Hughes, OEL, Rathbone. 

No need to spend 9.5M in free agency in a player that will eventually find a picture of himself in a Canucks blanket when he was 5 years old.

What you are missing here that is just as important are the names on other team's rosters that will be made expendable for the cheap due to other teams trying to overpay for these guys. Similar to how Alex Pietrangelo made Schmidt cheap for us to acquire. 

Benning pulled the trigger now because his job is on the line.