The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Impact of Olympics on Canucks roster

Rate this topic

Slegr

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Even though I'd love to see a Canadian Contingent win Gold, I don't think that the NHL should participate in those Olympics as the Gold medal hockey game is always one of the premiere events and we should not give that gift to the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) after the way they have treated their Minorities, the people of Hong Kong, Taiwan, the cover up and denial of access of information on the Covid outbreak, the mistreatment of the two Michaels and a host of other traumas they have bestowed upon the earth and their own people.  China is an oppressive rogue communist dictatorship of lies and evil and Bettman should send a message that people in the "normal" part of the world will not accept that type of 19th century behavior.  

In China, you can't say these words | ShareAmerica

Hockey in the Olympic is only one of the events yes in Canada it is the event, but for most Europeans the Downhill is probably bigger, for the Norwegians the Biathalon and cross country events are bigger. For Germany the ski jumping is bigger than the hockey.

for Korea and Japan the skiing holds higher regards as well.

yes it’s a big event but you are seeing it through the eyes of a Canadian. Withdrawing from the hockey makes no different to the overall outcome or the CCP.

The gold medal at the Winter Olympics for hockey has been devalued for a long while now simply because it’s not the best players in each team because of the NHL embargoes. 

a top tier nation probably could compete against Canada quite well, a top tier nation using its second string of players vs Canada’s second string usually goes one way. 

Edited by UKNuck96

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Hockey in the Olympic is only one of the events yes in Canada it is the event, but for most Europeans the Downhill is probably bigger, for the Norwegians the Biathalon and cross country events are bigger. For Germany the ski jumping is bigger than the hockey.

for Korea and Japan the skiing holds higher regards as well.

yes it’s a big event but you are seeing it through the eyes of a Canadian. Withdrawing from the hockey makes no different to the overall outcome or the CCP.

The gold medal at the Winter Olympics for hockey has been devalued for a long while now simply because it’s not the best players in each team because of the NHL embargoes. 

a top tier nation probably could compete against Canada quite well, a top tier nation using its second string of players vs Canada’s second string usually goes one way. 

I see your point of view, then maybe all the Normal countries of the world should simply boycott the CCP Olympics all together.  That would be even simpler.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think there's a really high chance that the winter Olympics gets pushed back a year, same as the summer did.

Why would China push back their olympics.  They only had 2 official Covid cases out of 1,400,000,000 of their worker bees, so there's nothing to worry about !  I heard it on Radio Free China - so it must be true !

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see Canada boycott the games, if our guys are still in jail and Meng is still in her mansion, or worse back in China. 

My money says that as her extradition date approaches (and it's coming soon) I expect her to attempt to BOLT out of here like a snake.   If I was in charge of security, I'd stick an RFI tag up her ^$$ and have her tracked even more than that ankle bracelet because I think sh'e gonna get desperate and might try to cut her foot off so she can slip out of the country in the middle of the night instead of face the Music down south - because she knows whats coming.   Trust me, when she's transfered to the Americans, she won't be staying in a mansion !  They won't treat a Chinese Communist Party Spy like Justin allowed !

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

My money says that as her extradition date approaches (and it's coming soon) I expect her to attempt to BOLT out of here like a snake.   If I was in charge of security, I'd stick an RFI tag up her ^$$ and have her tracked even more than that ankle bracelet because I think sh'e gonna get desperate and might try to cut her foot off so she can slip out of the country in the middle of the night instead of face the Music down south - because she knows whats coming.   Trust me, when she's transfered to the Americans, she won't be staying in a mansion !  They won't treat a Chinese Communist Party Spy like Justin allowed !

she's already asked for looser restrictions on her, which were denied. She'd be gone by now for sure. We need to stand up for our guys. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

They won't treat a Chinese Communist Party Spy like Justin allowed !

?.

Seems you have the same problem that the Chinese government does; an inability or unwillingness  to understand that the Canadian justice system is not run from the Prime Minister's office.

• Wat 1

Olympic hockey is awesome when the NHL goes. It's the only time you ever get to see what a team with no salary cap would look like (and playing like they actually care, not like All Star game). Canada's roster had a cap hit of about 150 million in Sochi, it was great.

Edited by MattJVD

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Your probably right and what did you expect on a topic with the word "Olympics" in it?   That's an automatic invite to politicism, plus any time china is mentioned you'll also have to expect that "Normal People" from the free part of the world will get their hairs standing on edge making it perfectly clear what they think of that rogue 4th world dictatorship - loud and clear. 

Glad to see ALL "Real" Canadians on the same page on this unfortunate topic.  One day in the not too distant future after the Chinese people are fed up of being enslaved and treated like ants they will rise-up to over throw the corrupt CCP we can welcome China in open arms.   Until then and for the record - they remain autocratic misfits from a bygone era. 

I’d suggest this rant has racist components and dangerously generalizing. Clean up the act there RUS.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see Canada boycott the games, if our guys are still in jail and Meng is still in her mansion, or worse back in China. 

As tough as it will be to miss another round of Olympic hockey, i agree this is something to consider.    China might be squirrelly in their dealings with others and their own people, but if you keep an open mind one could understand they might view the US as pretty bad too.  And Russia for that matter.   Censorship of 1 billion people is very difficult to do in a digital age.   We've had two exchange students live with us, they sure were a lot like modern Western kids, except even more stuck with their devices.  And their parents were lovely people.  Olympics are supposed to bring countries together.    Maybe we could have both still (the Michaels back, a better position on Hong Kong etc).    China has actually come a long way the last few decades, their communism is nothing at all like it used to be having mostly a free market now.   Boycotting the Olympics for sure could help nudge them further - it could also make things worse (as an insult).    Why i agree it's a good idea but not sure the correct way to solve our differences.    

• Vintage 1