The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your Canucks 23 man opening lineup ?

Rate this topic

Odjick the Warrior

I have thought that Hoglander would find it hard to displace Pearson on Bo's line, assuming Garland finds a home there (given the chemistry between Tanner and Bo) but looking at Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin  as a line, they have some heft ..... all 3 are over 6 feet tall and all over 200 lbs

And it would make sense for Pearson to play with Dickinson, 'cos after Sutter and Motte kill the first minute of a penalty, it will be Dickinson and Pearson over the boards with Miller, Bo, Highmore and Garland as reserves.   Except I don't think it will be many games in before Podz pushes himself into the discussion

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I have thought that Hoglander would find it hard to displace Pearson on Bo's line, assuming Garland finds a home there (given the chemistry between Tanner and Bo) but looking at Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin  as a line, they have some heft ..... all 3 are over 6 feet tall and all over 200 lbs

And it would make sense for Pearson to play with Dickinson, 'cos after Sutter and Motte kill the first minute of a penalty, it will be Dickinson and Pearson over the boards with Miller, Bo, Highmore and Garland as reserves.   Except I don't think it will be many games in before Podz pushes himself into the discussion

I much prefer hogz dickenson Podz

That's the best way to spread the offense around I think and that would be a high energy, aggressive line to play against.  Pearson fits well with Bo and can now be the third wheel on that line, with bo and garland likely providing the drive.  

I agree with Googlie that a shutdown line with:   Pearson  Dickenson  Podkolzin  would be awesome.

But I think it would leave one of the top two lines very small and easy to play against.

Hog  Bo  Garland:   ( A team game planning against this line just needs to play hyper-physical to shut them down, and box out these two wingers.)

The other problem with Podkolzin on the third line is the lack of development of his offensive game playing with a defense first centre like Dickenson, he would be better off on one of the top two offensive lines to develop his playmaking.

Podkolzin has the potential to be star offensive player.  He can dig out pucks and set up linemates on the first or second lines...

The composition of the powerplay units is going to be interesting, with some intense competition at camp as to who plays there, when, and where.

Last season, before Pettersson's injury, our 1st unit was Hughes and Petey on the points, with Miller, Bo and Boeser up front. After 115 seconds the second unit came on for 5 seconds (I exaggerate ofc, but it felt like that some games) with Gaudette centering Pearson and Virtanen and Schmidt with Myers manning the points.

Unless Green wants Sutter in the second unit center position, he needs to pull either Bo or Miller from the 1st unit to take - and win - faceoffs for the second unit.  If Bo, then I'd play Garland  too on the 2nd unit, moving Petey back up front and bring in Rathbone if he stays with the big team, or if not, leave Petey at point and insert Podkolzin.  He can do everything netfront  that Gadjovich can do - or Pearson - and would be an upgrade on both

But then Green has to be firm with Hughes/Pettersson et al and insist that they come off after 65 -70 seconds.  Regardless of whether Bo or JT moves to the 2nd unit, there is just too much talent there to squander with just a handful of seconds remaining.

But I'd like to see OEL - Rathbone on the points for the second unit. Always better to have 2 defensemen, 'cos if the penalty is killed, reverting to 5 v 5, we don't want our 5 to be 4 forwards and 1 D playing against a conventional 3-2 formation (or OEL -  Myers if Rathbone doesn't make it, or is on Unit 1)

So ...

(Rathbone in Vancouver)

PP1

Miller - Pettersson - Boesed

Hughes  - Rathbone 

PP2

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

OEL -  Myers 

No Pearson, no Podkolzin, but similar to what I said re PK, I could see Podz forcing himself into the equation by filling in for an injured player, or one taking a penalty, and dominating on the powerplay 

It's a great problem to have ...... who to leave out

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I hear you but a concern I have with this line is Bo’s taking the faceoffs

4 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I hear you but a concern I have with this line is Bo’s taking the faceoffs

Like Danault did, you mean?

Bo wins the face off, then jumps off to be replaced by Dickinson?

The obvious answer is for Dickinson to get better so that he can hold his own (as Petey once famously said in his rookie season "I mean, how hard is it to learn to win face offs?).. pretty hard, I'd say

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Like Danault did, you mean?

Bo wins the face off, then jumps off to be replaced by Dickinson?

The obvious answer is for Dickinson to get better so that he can hold his own (as Petey once famously said in his rookie season "I mean, how hard is it to learn to win face offs?).. pretty hard, I'd say

To me I like your line coming off the bench on the fly but what about Sutter slotting in the middle for some shifts to relieve Bo of all those extra hustling to the bench 

Pearson-Sutter-Dickenson for the Dzone starts

Start of Season 

Miller / Petterson / Boeser 

Hoglander / Horvat / Garland

Pearson / Dickinson / Motte

Podkolzin / Sutter / MacEwen

Scratched: Highmore 

Ekman-Larson / Myers

Hughes / Hamonic 

Juolevi / Poolman

Scratched: Schenn, Hunt

Demko, Halak

Mid Season / Before trade deadline 

Hoglander / Petterson / Boeser 

Miller / Horvat / Garland 

Pearson / Dickinson / Podkolzin 

Motte / Sutter / Lockwood 

Scratched: MacKwen 

Ekman-Larson / Myers

Hughes / Poolman

Juolevi / Hamonic

Scratched: Hunt, Schenn 

Demko, Halak

Note: Rathbone starts in Abbotsford so we don’t run the risk of losing Juolevi on waivers. He can play top minutes and develop his game there and be a star on that team. We already have OEL and Hughes as puck movers on the left side. 
Juolevi can round out his game and try to take the next step under the guidance of Hamonic, OELand Schenn. 

Podkolzin starts on forth line. I see him being a beast for us in the future and making him work his way up from the bottom will do wonders for him. He can bang and crash on the 4th with the protection of MacKwen and the Leadership of Sutter. PK duties eventually. Look for him to be elevated in the lineup for a spark mid game. 

Hoglander forces his way onto the top line.  His ability to dig out and hunt down pucks creates space for Boeser to find the soft areas and leaves Petey to focus on being a Two way center and not having to drive play. 

Poolman after starting on the bottom paring, inserts himself as a solid defensive Defenceman and moves up to partner with Hughes for years to come. Hamonic drops down to partner with Juolevi and forms our shutdown paring. 

Lockwood impresses in Abbotsford and gets the call up mid season

Edited by Krinjer33

?? EP BB

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hogs  Miller Podz

Motte Sutter Dickie 

Three scoring lines and one shutdown line.   The ??  spot is the interchangeable until lines are sorted.   Also it would be 1a,1b, 2a in this case.   Any line could be the one to score on any given game. 

OEL Myers 

QHs Hamonic 

OJ/Rathbone  Poolman/ Myers 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Boeser and Pettersson don't work well together.  Its Miller and Petterssons chemistry that drive that line.   And if this team is going to make waves, that top line needs to be revamped. 

Agreed.

We went with that line simply because we didn’t have offensive depth. Now we do.

Boeser and Petey can play together on the powerplay but 5 on 5 it should be Horvat and Boeser. We’ll see if Green is willing to switch it up or go with it until it’s broke.

Miller Pettersson Garland

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser and Pettersson don't work well together.  Its Miller and Petterssons chemistry that drive that line.   And if this team is going to make waves, that top line needs to be revamped. 

Agreed.   

I’ve always maintained that Boeser is a better fit with Horvat than Pettersson.  I’d rather see Garland play with Petey and Miller.

Edited by Patel Bure

On 8/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, Googlie said:

That to me, its a mixed line.   Dickinson with Motte and Sutter would create the best defensive line we could.   Put Miller as the third line C (or the first or second depending on how it goes ...) with Podz and Hogs then what do you get?  

Edited by IBatch

I agree that Garland is a better fit with Peterson and Miller from a pure skill point of view.

But Beoser has the advantage of size and weight, which helps Pete's line to be less easy to push around.

Garland gets knocked down alot...

But I am okay with giving this lineup a try: 

Miller  Pete  Garland

Hog  Bo  Beoser

Pearson  Dickenson Podkolzin

I would just love to see this line:

Miller  Bo  Garland  

I would love to see how Bo would thrive with two excellent puck possession guys, who can keep the puck in other teams end.  

Bo always seems to get the leftovers... why?

Could Bo be a first line center?

Could Bo be a 80 point guy with Miller and Garland?

Concerning Peterson, I would like to see Pete prove himself this year...  Can Pete carry a line himself? 

Podz/Hog   Pete   Beoser    

Pearson  Dickinson  Hog/ Podkolzin

At some point this season I would love for Green to try a line of Miller - Petey - Podkolzin. I think this could be a very good possesion line. All 3 can play in all ends of the ice and will give their opponents fits with how hard they work.

One of Pods biggest strengths is his passing and along with his work ethic I think he could have some great chemistry with Petey. There were many times where he set up his teammates last year in a great position and they were either a bit too slow to react or mishandled the puck. If those passes go to Miller or Petey, they're in the back of the net.

This leaves a 2nd line of Garland - Horvat - Boeser  and a 3rd line of Pearson - Dickinson  - Hoglander. That's a good mix of size and skill on each line.

• Like 1