The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your Canucks 23 man opening lineup ?

Rate this topic

Odjick the Warrior

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Sutter Lockwood

MacEwan

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Swap Hoglander for Pearson.

I believe his offensive potential is greater than Pearson's. 

I honestly believe Pearson is a better fit on the third line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Cheers,

Yes think you are right, but I'm slightly torn between Pearsons chemistry with Horvat,  (Horvat seems to really like playing with him), and then playing him on the 3rd line, where he probably rightly should be... Think both will be tried during next season, and either could come out on top.

Good problems to have...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Miller-Dickinson-Garland

Motte-Sutter-[TBD]

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Halak

Green will definitely be able to move guys around depending on circumstances.  I’d say by game 20 we see a lot of this lineup:

Pods, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Garland

Pearson, Miller, Dickinson

Motte, Sutter, Lockwood

Big MAC, Highmore

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Poolman

OJ, Hamonic

Schenn

PP1

Petey, Bess, Miller, Bo, Hughes

PP2

Dickinson, Garland, Hogs, OEL, Myers

PK forwards:

Motte, Sutter

Dickinson, Pearson

Bo/Miller, Pods

PK D:

OEL, Hamonic

OJ, Poolman

Myers

Minutes leaders forwards:

Bo

Miller, 

Petey

Bess

Minutes leaders D:

Hughes

OEL

Myers

Poolman

Hamonic

OJ

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Green will definitely be able to move guys around depending on circumstances.  I’d say by game 20 we see a lot of this lineup:

Pods, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Garland

Pearson, Miller, Dickinson

Motte, Sutter, Lockwood

Big MAC, Highmore

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Poolman

OJ, Hamonic

Schenn

PP1

Petey, Bess, Miller, Bo, Hughes

PP2

Dickinson, Garland, Hogs, OEL, Myers

PK forwards:

Motte, Sutter

Dickinson, Pearson

Bo/Miller, Pods

PK D:

OEL, Hamonic

OJ, Poolman

Myers

Minutes leaders forwards:

Bo

Miller, 

Petey

Bess

Minutes leaders D:

Hughes

OEL

Myers

Poolman

Hamonic

OJ

Pearson-Dickinson-Miller (with Miller taking key face offs) could have the makings to be a top tier shut down line.  Podkolzin could then play with Pettersson to provide the sandpaper on that line (as you suggest).  I’d probably keep Garland and Hoglander away from one another since both those guys are quite small (although the presence of Horvat on that line could definitely counter that).

Garland-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Miller

Motte-Sutter-[TBD]

Could definitely be an interesting look.

• Like 1

Miller Pete Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dickenson Podkolzin

Motte Sutter Highmore

Gadjovich

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Joulevi Poolman

Hunt Schenn

Demko 

Dipietro

Rathbone is waiver exempt, unless he blows the Canucks away I think he will be given time in the AHL. Gadjovich is no longer exempt, I think he gets a longer look as a spare. I think the Canucks are more willing to waive Macewan and bet on him not being picked up. He had a very poor season last year. I don't see Hoglander-Horvat-Garland as a line up because of it being too undersized at wing and the chemistry with Pearson and Horvat. You get more out of Pearson on Horvat's wing than anywhere else on the line-up. Although Hoglander and Podkolzin are young, they are considered very good defensive players. I see them as a good fit on Dickenson's wings. 

All in all, I think this is the best line-up we've had since 2011-2012.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Myers as a #7-8 ? 

Thats interesting.

To me Myers is terrible defensively and costs the team way to much. He needs to play with someone who is more defensive than offensive. When I look at who's on the left side playing defence OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi I think pairing him with Juolevi makes the most sense. That said. If Juolevi beats out Rathbone in camp then I would put Myers in over Schenn. But if its Rathbone I like Schenn with him

Not that I want this, but my mind wandered to the idea what if for some reason Hughes and Pettersson continue to be unsigned at the start of the season, what would our team look like?

I have:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Highmore-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe-Sutter-MacEwen

Dowling

OEL-Poolman

Hunt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi/Schenn

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not that I want this, but my mind wandered to the idea what if for some reason Hughes and Pettersson continue to be unsigned at the start of the season, what would our team look like?

I have:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Highmore-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe-Sutter-MacEwen

Dowling

OEL-Poolman

Hunt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi/Schenn

Yup that’s it the exact reason JB has no choice but to sign them. 
the line up with out them isn’t a “win now” team.

It looks more like a ticket out of town for JB. 
fans in the stands won’t be kind. 

we’ve all seen players who miss camp how long it takes for most of them to catch up. Any long losing skids even in October could be the season. 

On 9/16/2021 at 6:40 AM, Ilunga said:

I agree too.  Little worried about the size of Hogs Horvat Garland though.   Eventually i think it will be Hogs Horvat Podz. 

Here's one to think about - and my favourite lineup for our forward group.   Roll three scoring lines, and put a throw back on EPs line to protect him, guys proven at the AHL level he's a garbage disposal and he makes goalies lives and defenders lives miserable too.   In this case there really is no "1,2,3" lines either.   Just more like 1b or 2a lines:

Hogs Miller Podz   

Pearson Horvat Garland

Gadj EP BB

See what i did there?  Doesn't really matter how you look at it  - 5 x 5 this team can/could just roll three lines and give other coaches and teams fits trying to match up. 

And the fourth line is obvious:

Motte Sutter Dickinson 

Yes i now some are under the weather - but that's a shut down line if i ever saw one.     In the last TG has had a bunch of crappy players trying to make it work.   Not anymore.    Sure we could load up one line again .... but i doubt we'd get the same results.   Last year our secondary scoring was pathetic aside from Sutter maybe.   Terrible.   From the bottom six.   Anyone slotting in Dickinson and expecting him to get even 30 points as a the third line C isn't checking him out enough.   He's a defensive forward.   Play him as one.   I'd actually even the 5 x 5 minutes up in this case.    Nobody gets tired - reduces injuries and the team as a whole wins.   Trotz would do this.   I'm absolutely certain of that,  

Right now we have 13 legit forwards - i'm including Gadj in this - not including Highmore who to me is a depth guy like Schenn is on the D.   It's f!cking frustrating that we don't have EP and QHs at camp.   But i really think, even without them - with some smart coaching and line matching we will still do fine without them.    Boner might be better defensively then QHs, and before covid, a small sample size - but OJ/Myers was our steadiest safest line. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, combover said:

Yup that’s it the exact reason JB has no choice but to sign them. 
the line up with out them isn’t a “win now” team.

It looks more like a ticket out of town for JB. 
fans in the stands won’t be kind. 

we’ve all seen players who miss camp how long it takes for most of them to catch up. Any long losing skids even in October could be the season. 

The only guy that missed camp was BB.

I do agree that it matters though.   Maybe that's why EP flew to be with QHs, get him to stop being a selfish guy and come back right away, or maybe he flew there just  to talk strategy lol.   In reality these guys are taking their agents advice - just hope they also are hitting the gym hard and skating a ton.  

This new crop of players worries me.   I'm not sure giving them this much money and putting the carrot away is good for the sport.    I've seen first hand  how many snow flakes exist now in the 15-40 age group as it is.   Don't expect it's much different in hockey and yes i've met some who actually know how to work but the overall quantity isn't what it used to be.   Mental health days, sick days, i'm too lazy to work days never existed when i was working.   You just did your job no matter what.  I'm not that old either - retired young and now back to work part-time.   It's hilariously different after 12 years.   I have to bite my tongue every single day.   Would have fired 90% of the crew when i was working.   Only guy id keep is 36.  The "can't work because i get sweaty" is about the most stupidest excuse i've ever heard.   AND he's actually allowed to not work and stay in the air conditioned  office because of his "disability of sweating" which is actually 5 months of the year where i live.    Comes out works for ten minutes every hour or two then goes back to his air conditioned shack.    It's also a city job which i'm not used too so maybe i'm just not used to that either.   It's remarkable really.    At least every group has an enforcer, but at my age i'm kind of tired of doing that.    I bring this up because that's actually more frustrating then QHs and EP not signed yet.   And because i have kids (one that's amazing, the other who's just well like 90% of the workforce i've met since going back to work) that aren't much younger then them and worry about them.   EP i hope we sign him for 8 years.   QHs - i'd trade him if his ask is too much.    These guys have the best job in the world from where i'm sitting.   Luckiest people in the entire world.   Going to the gym, working with the best doctors, physio guys etc ... and playing 20 or so minutes of a game we love 82-110 or so times a year.   

• Vintage 1