The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your Canucks 23 man opening lineup ?

Rate this topic

Odjick the Warrior

I don’t want to jinx it but the team looks fairly “deep” and resistant to at least an injury or two.

Petey, Bo, Miller can all play top 6 C while one of Pearson / Hoglander is pegged for the 3rd line and can play top 6 if necessary.  

Maybe missing a spare bottom 6 C - but lots of options for the 4th line after Motte-Sutter. 

As others have said, the D might not jump off the page at you but having Hunt-Schenn as your 4th pairing is a nice luxury to have.  We even have two guys in Hughes and OEL who can run a top flight PP. 

Again, hopefully this is the year it all “clicks” for us - but Benning well and truly is “all in Jim” this year - barring something catastrophic there’s no excuses.

Edit: my lineup is pretty much like others have said.. I have Juolevi showing well and with his PK acumen and low cap hit he gets the nod. Hunt stays with the big club as insurance.  Rathbone in Utica to soak up PP time.

Last winger will be a dogfight in camp…. Could be Macewen / Highmore or even Lockwood / Gadjovich. Should be a fun side story.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

Jesus look at that center "Depth". Which you need to win championships. 

No team for rightful reasons will be intimidated by that. 

Add our defenceman, who literally can't defend, it's going to be a frustrating year folks... Be prepared. 

troll trolling GIF

A lot of people have Podkolzin set in there 

with all the waiver eligible talent I think he would be better suited going to Abbotsford. Would sell tickets and he’d work on the systems playing top minutes all situations. Would like to see him be groomed as a penalty killer 

Boeser Petterson Miller 

Pearson Horvat Garland

Motte  Dickenson Hoglander

Highmore  Sutter  Lockwood

Gadjovich

OEL.  Poolman

Hughes  Hamonic

Hunt   Myers

Juolevi Schenn

Abbotsford

Podkolzin

Rathbone

Macewen

• Cheers 1

pretty solid lineup up front for sure. The D group might benefit from a couple of forwards who know how to back check.

I could be wrong but i think this is a playoff group.

Stronger through the lineup than Edmonton. our lines 2 and 3 will dominate theirs.

Stronger than the Californians, Dude, LA will be better but i still think we have a better team up front.

Calgary has not done much to improve and losing their captain has to hurt.

The Kraken should not take too many points off us.

That leaves Vegas, lets just see how it settles.

I think this could be a 100 point season. of course a lot has to go right, but for the first time in a while i am excited with our lineup.

Edited by mikeyman109

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

D isn't looking good

I don't really get this take. What don't you like about that group? its the best one we've had in a long time. Our top 8 now has many missing pieces filled in, we have good puck movers, a bit of size, some depth for injuries with real NHL players. No its not elite but does it need to be? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

Jesus look at that center "Depth". Which you need to win championships. 

No team for rightful reasons will be intimidated by that. 

Add our defenceman, who literally can't defend, it's going to be a frustrating year folks... Be prepared. 

Troll

Seeing how both Pettersson and Horvat are first line centers. Pettersson being top 10 in the NHL and Horvat top 30. Canucks center depth is top ten in the NHL. 

Miller is top ten LW

Boeser is top 15th RW and going up.

Hoglander was top 5 rookie last year.

Podz is going to push for top rookie 2022.

Dickinson top 60 center/ top 10 defensive center.

Sutter is one good 4th line center, could be tops in the NHL. 

Garland is a dark horse top 30 RW in the NHL. He is top 60 right now. 

Defense is under rated. Could be one of the best mobile D in the NHL. The Canucks transition game is going to exciting and push other teams to defend.

• Cheers 1

I'll make a 22 man roster cuz if it takes an extra mil to get both EP and QH signed to long term contracts. 

I prefer to roll 3 lines capable of scoring and 1 shutdown line.

Dickerson EP Boeser 

Pearson Bo Garland 

Hogz Miller Podz 

Motte Sutter BigMac

(Highmore or Gadj) 

OEL Poolman

QH Hamonic 

OJ Myers 

Schenn

Rathbone in the AHL to dominate and gets a late season call up if cap allows. 

7 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

In my opinion I think these are the 23 players and lineup for game 1 (petey and Hughes are included)

Forwards

Miller           Pettersson     Boeser

Pearson       Horvat           Garland 

Höglander    Dickinson      Podkolzin 

Motte           Sutter            Highmore

Defensemen             Goalies

Hughes         Hamonic       Demko  

OEL              Poolman        Halak

Rathbone     Myers.            DiPitero 

Scratches: Juolevi, Schenn, MacEwen

Players that will be called up from Abbotsford 1st: DiPietro, Hunt, Di Giuseppe, Lockwood

What is your season opening Canuck depth chart?

I agree with most of the above but I have a few questions:

1) Why would you have Dipietro up here as part of the 23 man roster?  Wouldn’t it be better for him to start in Abbotsford?

2) I agree that Rathbone is likely superior to Juolevi at this point, but what do you think would be better for Rathbone’s development?  Getting limited 3rd line minutes in the NHL or logging big minutes in Abbotsford?  (in answering this question, please keep in mind that Rathbone does not require waivers when being called up).

3) Based on last season, do you think Benning brought in OEL to be a 2nd pairing defenseman for us, or do you think he brought in OEL so that Hughes could take on easier defensive match ups while growing his defensive game at a more appropriate situation to his level (similar to the 19-20 season where Hughes played on the 2nd pairing while getting 1st line PP time).

4) Was the Hughes/Hamonic pairing a successful one last season?

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'll make a 22 man roster cuz if it takes an extra mil to get both EP and QH signed to long term contracts. 

I prefer to roll 3 lines capable of scoring and 1 shutdown line.

Dickerson EP Boeser 

Pearson Bo Garland 

Hogz Miller Podz 

Motte Sutter BigMac

(Highmore or Gadj) 

OEL Poolman

QH Hamonic 

OJ Myers 

Schenn

Rathbone in the AHL to dominate and gets a late season call up if cap allows. 

Dickenson is out of his element in the top line. That would be a mistake. He is a very good third liner. Lets keep it that way.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't really get this take. What don't you like about that group? its the best one we've had in a long time. Our top 8 now has many missing pieces filled in, we have good puck movers, a bit of size, some depth for injuries with real NHL players. No its not elite but does it need to be? 

Yeah the D could really surprise some people this year.  I agree it’s nicely balanced with a ton of offensive pop.

I think they’ll have moments where they look a little shaky but like you said they don’t need to be world beaters with Demko and an engaged forward group.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Dickenson is out of his element in the top line. That would be a mistake. He is a very good third liner. Lets keep it that way.

I was thinking the Dickinson could be sorta like Burrows.  Energy guy that can work the boards, defensively sound, retrieve pucks and dish it to EP and Boeser to do their magic.  Bonus is that Dickinson can also take faceoffs.

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Not out of his element as he played against top lines in Dal.  His role on the first line would not change much in the above situation. Not out of Greens thinking to try that during a game. More than likely not going to happen though. 

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people are nervous about just who is going to soak up the hard matchups against other team's top lines. I'm not going to claim to be too familiar with Poolman or even OEL's games, but from what I've read OEL has struggled defensively as of late and Poolman, while a decent bottom pairing/mid pairing guy, looked out of his element when he was pushed up the lineup. Outside of Hamonic there aren't too many guys there that people trust to take those hard minutes. 

A few guys are going to have to play above what they've shown thus far if that blueline is to have success, and a far better defensive system is going to have to be implemented as well.

19 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic 

Hughes-Poolman

Juolevi-Myers

Schenn, Hunt

Demko

Halak

Very close to mine.  I agree with the names, but I think the lines will be a little different

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickson - Pdkolzin    -- Dickson is defensive and won't be matched with a rookie and 2nd year player only.

Motte - sutter - Highmore

OEL - Meyer   (22-23 minutes)

Hughes - Hamonic  (20-22 minutes)

Juolevi - Poolman  (15-18 minutes)

Hunt  (sleeper to crack to 6) -- Schenn

OPTION 1 on forward group 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Motte Sutter Highmore / MacEwen

Hughes Hamonic

OEL Poolman

Joulevi/ Rathbone Myers

Demko

Halak

-------

Option 2! ;) With a huge question mark lol

___ Petey Boeser

Hoglander  Horvat Garland

Pearson Miller Poldkozin

Motte Dickinson Sutter

3 lines that can score - Miller is a 2B 

However this depends on who plays with Petey- ideally Klimovich joins us in the future 

I really think Green is gonna take a serious look at having Miller at center. 

They wanna be a team that has three potent offensive lines. You gotta be strong down the middle to do that. We saw how easy they were to shut down with only two (sometimes only 1) line going.

Really could use a guy like Gadj coming in and surprising.

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin

Gadjovich Miller Garland

Motte Sutter Dickinson

OEL Myers 

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Poolman

Demko

Halak

22 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Very close to mine.  I agree with the names, but I think the lines will be a little different

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickson - Pdkolzin    -- Dickson is defensive and won't be matched with a rookie and 2nd year player only.

Motte - sutter - Highmore

OEL - Meyer   (22-23 minutes)

Hughes - Hamonic  (20-22 minutes)

Juolevi - Poolman  (15-18 minutes)

Hunt  (sleeper to crack to 6) -- Schenn

Fair enough.

My personal belief is that a Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin line might struggle a bit to generate offense and so the presence of Hoglander might give this line a little extra scoring punch, which could also help untap a little bit of Dickinson’s offensive potential (apparently, Dickinson has a bit offensive potential).  Pearson and Horvat also have a few years of experience playing with one another.

Im also not a fan of placing Hoglander and Garland together.  Although both guys play bigger than their size, icing a line that small could be detrimental.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I really think Green is gonna take a serious look at having Miller at center. 

They wanna be a team that has three potent offensive lines. You gotta be strong down the middle to do that. We saw how easy they were to shut down with only two (sometimes only 1) line going.

Really could use a guy like Gadj coming in and surprising.

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin

Gadjovich Miller Garland

Motte Sutter Dickinson

OEL Myers 

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Poolman

Demko

Halak

We would see a Nate Schmidt like situation if you placed Dickinson on the 4th line on RW for no apparent reason.  If Gadjovich makes the team, he makes it as a 4th liner, and if the Canucks choose to use Miller as a center on odd occasions, he’ll be playing with two good and proven wingers (like he did last year with Boeser and Hoglander).